Blacking up

DA Baracus

Just now, welshbairn said:

So you slag off people in real life for their sexuality, race or whatever, but only when you know they're up for the banter? 

I don't get that bit myself, I tend not say things about people that I wouldn't say to their face.

I slag a 2nd generation Scot at almost every opportunity and he fires back when he can, I'd never slag him about his race,colour, beliefs etc, he's also my go to guy when I want to talk about private matters, I don't confide in many people at all.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

So you slag off people in real life for their sexuality, race or whatever, but only when you know they're up for the banter? Don't see why the internet should be any different. Basic politeness.

Um, as far as it goes, I'd say I've been pretty polite on here compared to the vast majority. I might say the odd 'questionable' term but you'll struggle to find anything offensive. Not greeting as I knew what I was letting myself in for but my halo has still got a healthy sheen. :angel

17 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

Um, as far as it goes, I'd say I've been pretty polite on here compared to the vast majority. I might say the odd 'questionable' term but you'll struggle to find anything offensive. Not greeting as I knew what I was letting myself in for but my halo has still got a healthy sheen. :angel

It appears to me that it's becoming harder to say what you think of folk if they're black,gay,female etc, my opinion might be inaccurate but people seem to want to put a tag on you if you said Diane Abbott was a useless c**t and god forbid if you ever say anything about J K Rowling, I don't get it, it's surely those that tag racist to anyone slagging Diane Abbot that are showing some form of racial discrimination.

Racist or harmless fun?

To be honest, I did question what was actually racist about Griezmann blacking up as a basketball player. However, blacking up is generally frowned upon, and David Lammy MP was not happy.

Given you can now be a boy, girl or somewhere in between and the U.K. seems to be moving towards general acceptance of most things, I don’t see what’s so bad about someone wanting to dress up as a black basketball player. The usual response is “well, you’re not black!” Aye, good spot. But what if I want to express myself through being black? Who are you to oppress me?

I haven’t quite decided on it yet, as it’s obviously an important life decision. I don’t quite feel ready to tell my parents yet, but I’ve always felt like a black man trapped in a white mans body. There really should be an organisation for people like me! (Lining them up here. Tap in)

Why would anybody want to dress up as Diane Abbott to go to the darts? Not even remotely amusing.

Apparently people have been very offended by white folk blacking up to dress as them; there was some Aussie rules player who said he was heartbroken after a young kid dressed as him.

Let's not forget that we've also had the chinese stereotyped (yellow skin, slanty eyes) and south asians (brown/comedy speech). This stuff is deeply ingrained.

i doubt that all concerned in these movies were full on racists.

7fc830662b1de81904c42d31906fb4bc.jpg49919d628a3a4cbaf56826fb03306606.jpg

Saves me a bit of typing and better put than I’d manage. Is it always racist? Probably not. Can it be deeply offensive - of course or can. 
“Social media outrage” is given too much weight in mainstream media IMO. Loads of simplistic reactions to complex issues regurgitated in outlets like the BBC. 
Being able to muck about with genders, race etc isn’t IMO automatically about power or oppression. We seem to be living in quite repressed times where fun, frivolity and sexuality is demonised. The influence of American right wing conservatism tries to reinforce lines of race and gender rather than the healthier (IMO) way of seeing us all as Jock Tamson’s bairns.

I don’t do Twitter, so the majority of the social media outrage passes me by. The only times I notice it are when the TV news pick it up or when people post it on here.

Personally, I don’t like being told what to do. I get that there are horrible racist types out there who must be challenged, but a white footballer dressing up as a black basketball player didn’t make me think ‘what a horrible racist he is’. A lot of sporting superstars are black. People look up to these sports stars. Personally, I don’t go to the effort that Griezmann went to for parties, but some people do.

It doesn’t help that the people who are outraged are usually no-marks like MPs, journalists and wanks on Twitter.

No, it just feels good.

Go for it.

Unless you’re a horrible racist, in which case, shame on you!

We blackists are often tarred with the same brush as the horrible racists so watch out. Stay strong.

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Is Diane Abbott a useless c**t because she's black?

No but that is the assumption drawn by some on social media when folk post things like that about people.

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

Why would anybody want to dress up as Diane Abbott to go to the darts? Not even remotely amusing.

Apparently people have been very offended by white folk blacking up to dress as them; there was some Aussie rules player who said he was heartbroken after a young kid dressed as him.

Let's not forget that we've also had the chinese stereotyped (yellow skin, slanty eyes) and south asians (brown/comedy speech). This stuff is deeply ingrained.

i doubt that all concerned in these movies were full on racists.

7fc830662b1de81904c42d31906fb4bc.jpg49919d628a3a4cbaf56826fb03306606.jpg

To you.

8 hours ago, ayrmad said:

I don't get that bit myself, I tend not say things about people that I wouldn't say to their face.

I slag a 2nd generation Scot at almost every opportunity and he fires back when he can, I'd never slag him about his race,colour, beliefs etc, he's also my go to guy when I want to talk about private matters, I don't confide in many people at all.

I worry that you're going to come out shooting some day.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:
9 minutes ago, ayrmad said:
A very confident roaster, definition, doesn't hang around with other fannies for moral support.

You know what they say.... If you dont know who the fanny is in the group, chances are its you.

That's just shit they tell you at your "make the fannies more confident" group, I don't sit in groups containing fannies, I remove myself until they leave, I've got better things to do with myself than listen to some weak-minded soul dribbling out the side of their mouth.

Just now, Sergeant Wilson said:

No. There's a sense of frustration, when you post though.

These are only posts on the internet, there's nobody in real life would know I've lost so many close family members in recent years when they're talking to me.

Archived