The Investment Thread

Dindeleux

18 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

...I’ve always found it hard to understand the mentality of institutions loaning their shares to someone knowing it’s their intention to drive the price of that share down.  Seems counter intuitive.

Except many of the shares loaned are those of their customers that they are holding for them. Unless you specify otherwise, a company holding shares for you can lend those shares, while accepting the risk you may redeem or sell them before the loan expires and they then have to act. This was shown recently when DJT put out detailed instructions to its shareholders about how to prevent their shares being used to short DJT when being held by a third party. So it's near free money for those institutions.  

I used to consider myself to be good at stock picking but as I appear to understand the world less and less I thought it may be time to sit back and let the experts take the strain.  I quite like the idea of an App based provider so was considering something like Wealthify, Moneybox or Hargeaves Landsdown.  From initial reading Wealthify offer one of their 5 general funds based on your attitude to risk, whereas Moneybox only offers 3 funds.  HL appears to offer numerous funds.

Anyone on P&B tried these out or have any suggestions?  

8 hours ago, TxRover said:

Except many of the shares loaned are those of their customers that they are holding for them. Unless you specify otherwise, a company holding shares for you can lend those shares, while accepting the risk you may redeem or sell them before the loan expires and they then have to act. This was shown recently when DJT put out detailed instructions to its shareholders about how to prevent their shares being used to short DJT when being held by a third party. So it's near free money for those institutions.  

The full name of DJT is Trump Media & Technology Group.  At a guess, I'd say many of its shareholders are basically fans of Trump, and their enthusiasm for him is likely a significant part of what keeps the share price up.  Perhaps the shorters are doing the right thing.....

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Shadow Play said:

I used to consider myself to be good at stock picking but as I appear to understand the world less and less I thought it may be time to sit back and let the experts take the strain.  I quite like the idea of an App based provider so was considering something like Wealthify, Moneybox or Hargeaves Landsdown.  From initial reading Wealthify offer one of their 5 general funds based on your attitude to risk, whereas Moneybox only offers 3 funds.  HL appears to offer numerous funds.

I use HL and Vanguard, thinking of moving more or less everything from HL soon to a cheaper platform, the best thing about them is the choice and information they have on funds etc, but are far from the cheapest. Vanguard has less choice, but you'll find if you dig into what the top holdings are on similar funds they're the same or about the same as ones you'll find on others including HL. 

AJ Bell and Interactive Investors do flat fee;s I'm sure, which is decent for larger amounts. The only thing stopping me using Vanguard for almost everything is my current situation doesn't allow me to add money directly to the SIPP I have with them, which is annoying. 

I think there are comparison sites out there that will do the maths for you based on your amount held and future investments. Off the top of my head I can't recall though. 

Good luck

Edited by thistledo

1 hour ago, Shadow Play said:

I use Interactive Investor and have virtually everything in an S&P tracker.

I have never been good at picking stocks but the tracker funds are very low cost and the S&P has performed remarkably well despite black swan events like the US housing bubble and COVID.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, beefybake said:

The full name of DJT is Trump Media & Technology Group.  At a guess, I'd say many of its shareholders are basically fans of Trump, and their enthusiasm for him is likely a significant part of what keeps the share price up.  Perhaps the shorters are doing the right thing.....

The real test of how committed Trump’s supporters are will show once his six month lock up is over and he starts trying to sell the stock.  The company is virtually worthless.

ETA if he loses the election I think the company will sink like a stone.

Edited by Granny Danger

4 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

The real test of how committed Trump’s supporters are will show once his six month lock up is over and he starts trying to sell the stock.  The company is virtually worthless.

ETA if he loses the election I think the company will sink like a stone.

Trump Shuttle…Trump University…Trump Steaks…Trump Vodka…Trump Mortgages…GoTrump.com…Trump: The Game…Trump SoHo…Trump Taj Mahal…Trump Marina…Trump World’s Fair…Trump Baku…Trump Institute…Trump Foundation…

All cratered, generally after Trump squeezed every penny he could out of them. Why expect anything different?

On 06/06/2024 at 11:47, thistledo said:

I use HL and Vanguard, thinking of moving more or less everything from HL soon to a cheaper platform, the best thing about them is the choice and information they have on funds etc, but are far from the cheapest. Vanguard has less choice, but you'll find if you dig into what the top holdings are on similar funds they're the same or about the same as ones you'll find on others including HL. 

AJ Bell and Interactive Investors do flat fee;s I'm sure, which is decent for larger amounts. The only thing stopping me using Vanguard for almost everything is my current situation doesn't allow me to add money directly to the SIPP I have with them, which is annoying. 

I think there are comparison sites out there that will do the maths for you based on your amount held and future investments. Off the top of my head I can't recall though. 

Good luck

On 06/06/2024 at 11:52, Granny Danger said:

I use Interactive Investor and have virtually everything in an S&P tracker.

I have never been good at picking stocks but the tracker funds are very low cost and the S&P has performed remarkably well despite black swan events like the US housing bubble and COVID.

As you were both kind enough to reply to my initial query I thought I’d give you a quick update.  Decided to go for Wealthify in the mean time.  Seems decent enough.  Offers 5 levels of risk and each fund invests in a  broad range of funds by other providers.  The two most adventurous funds they offer appear to have most of the money invested in in the US market.  Decided that was the route for me.

Only downside I can see is that it takes about 3 days for your money to reach your account and a further 2 days or so for your money to be invested.  I don’t know if this is the industry average.  In any case I suppose it saves you the headache (and the usual heartache) of trying and failing to time the market!  They do offer a cash account as well with a decent interest rate but you can’t transfer directly between your cash account and your General Investment Account.  

On 06/06/2024 at 10:36, Shadow Play said:

I normally go with Bet365.

12 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

Only downside I can see is that it takes about 3 days for your money to reach your account and a further 2 days or so for your money to be invested.

Trading standard is T+2 (ie normally any trade you make is settled within two days). Not sure why the delay in depositing money into account though.

ETA it might actually be T+1 now.

Edited by Alert Mongoose

2 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Trading standard is T+2 (ie normally any trade you make is settled within two days). Not sure why the delay in depositing money into account though.

ETA it might actually be T+1 now.

Yeh I must admit it does seem a bit of a delay for the money to reach your account.  

54 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

As you were both kind enough to reply to my initial query I thought I’d give you a quick update.  Decided to go for Wealthify in the mean time.  Seems decent enough.  Offers 5 levels of risk and each fund invests in a  broad range of funds by other providers.  The two most adventurous funds they offer appear to have most of the money invested in in the US market.  Decided that was the route for me.

Only downside I can see is that it takes about 3 days for your money to reach your account and a further 2 days or so for your money to be invested.  I don’t know if this is the industry average.  In any case I suppose it saves you the headache (and the usual heartache) of trying and failing to time the market!  They do offer a cash account as well with a decent interest rate but you can’t transfer directly between your cash account and your General Investment Account.  

Hope it works.  My S&P tracker is at 13.5% since January alone.  I know it won’t last but if I can get 10% per annum this allows for 100% real growth over a decade allowing for 3% inflation.

Can’t see any FTSE trackers coming near that.

33 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Hope it works.  My S&P tracker is at 13.5% since January alone.  I know it won’t last but if I can get 10% per annum this allows for 100% real growth over a decade allowing for 3% inflation.

Can’t see any FTSE trackers coming near that.

My worry is American stocks are near their peak but I’ve been saying that for some considerable time and they keep rising.

I think UK stocks are undervalued, especially the banks, but I’ve also been saying that for some time.

The above are two examples why I’m going to leave more of my investments to the experts 😂

3 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

My worry is American stocks are near their peak but I’ve been saying that for some considerable time and they keep rising.

I think UK stocks are undervalued, especially the banks, but I’ve also been saying that for some time.

The above are two examples why I’m going to leave more of my investments to the experts 😂

As said by the 'experts' for years.

Adding up the value of all world stock markets put together, the US is somewhere around 60% 'ish, as I recall. 

UK is around 4%, France and Germany around 3% 'ish, Japan 6%. 

The reasons why I tend to stick to variations of world index trackers that invest my money in those proportions.

6 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

Watching the Dow Jones, the S&P500 and the Russell 2000 for divergent returns can give some insight into market strengths.

Dow Jones Industrials is up just over 2% for the past 6 months.

S&P500 is up over 14% for the past 6 months.

Russell 2000 is nearly flat for the past 6 months.

The AI boom is the primary mover of the S&P500 over the past 6 months. Otherwise the market is pretty stagnant, which isn’t a terrible thing, but doesn’t inspire confidence either. This, shall we say complex, market is making many pickers look stupid as they get caught flat footed on change days. As GD notes, a simple tracker fund of the S&P500 has knocked the snot out of most professional returns this year to date. Simplicity can often beat the experts, this could be another year for exactly that…but the peaking numbers of higher highs with lower lows is certainly not a confidence inspiring scenario.

10 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

How much are folk playing about with here? Few hundred? Couple of grand?

A few million I think, but can't be sure, it's pocket change to me my accountant should have the details

Edited by parsforlife

24 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Nice. I’m thinking of selling the wife and reinvesting the takings.

Better off opening a Concrete-to-Go franchise near Reform UK events. Gotta be agile and respond to the market. With market uncertainty, the money for slaves is iffy, except the recent years, low-mileage versions.