Ayr vs Arbroath

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Forfar defeat WAS a freak result, however there's no getting away from the fact that we have been pretty poor for the last 5 or 6 weeks and managed to ride our luck a few times and there's also no doubt that our injuries and lack of an experienced keeper are now well and truly catching up with us. Actually this has been the case most of the season, it's just that Moffat, Moore and Shankland had been bailing us out by scoring 4 and 5 between them most weeks.

It's still a bit early to write off the league though as a quick glance through the Raith posts from about 4 weeks ago paint a doom and gloom story from their perspective, where many of them had already conceded the title to us, next week is now massive, of that there's no doubt.

On a happier note, it looks like Falkirk are getting their act together and I'd far rather be playing the likes of Dumbarton in a play off (should it come to that) than Falkirk.

The Forfar defeat WAS a freak result, however there's no getting away from the fact that we have been pretty poor for the last 5 or 6 weeks and managed to ride our luck a few times and there's also no doubt that our injuries and lack of an experienced keeper are now well and truly catching up with us. Actually this has been the case most of the season, it's just that Moffat, Moore and Shankland had been bailing us out by scoring 4 and 5 between them most weeks.
It's still a bit early to write off the league though as a quick glance through the Raith posts from about 4 weeks ago paint a doom and gloom story from their perspective, where many of them had already conceded the title to us, next week is now massive, of that there's no doubt.
On a happier note, it looks like Falkirk are getting their act together and I'd far rather be playing the likes of Dumbarton in a play off (should it come to that) than Falkirk.

I don't disagree with most of this, however, despite Raith being average they are at least consistent and I can't see them losing more than 2 or 3 games before the end of the season. Whereas, we will at least lose another 2 or 3 and that means we'll be nowhere near winning the league.

15 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

I don't disagree with most of this, however, despite Raith being average they are at least consistent and I can't see them losing more than 2 or 3 games before the end of the season. Whereas, we will at least lose another 2 or 3 and that means we'll be nowhere near winning the league.

You're probably right, but at least we can hope.............

37 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Average you say?  Won ten home games on the bounce , only 4 Goals conceded at home, including 5 first team regulars missing since beginning of November ! No more average than Ayr United to be honest. What I will say is the league is no where near being over however if Rovers won on Saturday and our games in hand we would be in a strong position and could only through it away

Its funny how the build up to this game was spent slagging hutton but it was hart that fucked up

Hutton seems to have turned a corner and come on to a game a bit. Not going to let myself get overly confident with him just yet but he’s in pretty good form at the moment.

12 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

You say it's a freak result then concede that the issues that caused it have been there for weeks.  The only freakish element of the Forfar game was the keeper making 2/3 ridiculous saves which had precisely nothing to do with our shoddy defending at the other end.  The shortcomings that saw us concede 3 goals in 15 minutes have been there all season.  Can't defend crosses or high balls into the box, don't clear our lines properly, dodgy keeper.  Look at the first goal by airdrie 2 weeks ago, Forfar's 3rd goal last week and Arbroaths equaliser yesterday.  It's the same freaking goal.  As I mentioned before, that's the 7th (seventh) home game this season that we've conceded 2 or more goals.  Even with a forward line that's scored nearly 50 league goals between them can you compensate for that level of defensive ineptitude.

11 hours ago, lichtiekev said:

Actually still think Ayr are a better team than Raith,

Considering we've had to play with virtually a youth  team defence for months it would be a surprise otherwise. and one reason for that was Ayr kicking us off the park at Stark's.  But justice prevailed and we're back top with a severely weakened side, and once our wounded are back we'll see which is the better team.

Saving money for the Scottish cup. Funds a bit too tight after the holidays.

Usually shit myself watching the scores but will be even worse today considering how free scoring Ayr have been at times.

Although whenever I seem to decide to watch the scores we seem to get a good result so taking that as a wee confidence boost for today. [emoji6]

Mon the Broath.

This is why “stay away”. Just kidding.

47 minutes ago, Mgc1910 said:

You say it's a freak result then concede that the issues that caused it have been there for weeks.  The only freakish element of the Forfar game was the keeper making 2/3 ridiculous saves which had precisely nothing to do with our shoddy defending at the other end.  The shortcomings that saw us concede 3 goals in 15 minutes have been there all season.  Can't defend crosses or high balls into the box, don't clear our lines properly, dodgy keeper.  Look at the first goal by airdrie 2 weeks ago, Forfar's 3rd goal last week and Arbroaths equaliser yesterday.  It's the same freaking goal.  As I mentioned before, that's the 7th (seventh) home game this season that we've conceded 2 or more goals.  Even with a forward line that's scored nearly 50 league goals between them can you compensate for that level of defensive ineptitude.

So does that mean that you think it's been "freak results" when we were winning every week ? 

I'm not happy about our recent results / performances either, however I am a realist. We are playing in the 3rd tier of Scottish football with a budget that is relevant to this level. We are 2nd in the league and well clear of 3rd, we had a good run in the League cup and are still in the Scottish, so personally at this stage I'm actually happy enough with our achievements. Do we have defensive issues ? Yes, we do. Do we have Goalkeeping issues ? Yes, we do. However what can we do ? Should McCall have let Shankland go and used the money to bring in an experienced keeper instead ? Could you imagine the uproar if he had ?

Basically we can only play with the hand we're dealt and that's a far better hand than the rest of the league with the exception of Raith, so as I say get us our midfield back and I'm sure the defensive mistakes will clear themselves and also our young keeper might even gain a bit more confidence..........

Just now, WATTOO said:

So does that mean that you think it's been "freak results" when we were winning every week ? 

I'm not happy about our recent results / performances either, however I am a realist. We are playing in the 3rd tier of Scottish football with a budget that is relevant to this level. We are 2nd in the league and well clear of 3rd, we had a good run in the League cup and are still in the Scottish, so personally at this stage I'm actually happy enough with our achievements. Do we have defensive issues ? Yes, we do. Do we have Goalkeeping issues ? Yes, we do. However what can we do ? Should McCall have let Shankland go and used the money to bring in an experienced keeper instead ? Could you imagine the uproar if he had ?

Basically we can only play with the hand we're dealt and that's a far better hand than the rest of the league with the exception of Raith, so as I say get us our midfield back and I'm sure the defensive mistakes will clear themselves and also our young keeper might even gain a bit more confidence..........

We've achieved nothing to this point.

Regards budget, the board backed McCall with full time football, the funds to retain prize assets Crawford and Docherty, the funds to sign quality players like Moffat and Moore, the funds to keep Shankland when there was plenty of interest in him not to mention the funds to recruit Bell due to our injury problems.  I don't see that McCall can ask much more.  It was he who put his faith in an untried keeper and chose to build a defence around Rose who did nothing last season to suggest he was good enough.  Raith have had injuries too, but they've kept their heads down and worked through it.  We've just chucked it completely.  The same as we did 2 seasons ago and in the 2nd half of last season too.  Conclusion?

This is why “stay away”. Just kidding.

That’s not him that was me.

And it’s getting spooky, the 2 games I missed last year were the 1-0 win up in Elgin winner in the 90th minute and the 2-1 win at Annan winer in the 90th minute. This season it’s been the 6-2 win at Stranraer and the game yesterday.

Gutting but amazing at the same time. I actually turned off my TV after we went 2-1 up yesterday and went and done a few things for 5 minutes as I couldn’t handle watching.

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Hutton seems to have turned a corner and come on to a game a bit. Not going to let myself get overly confident with him just yet but he’s in pretty good form at the moment.

Pleased for Hutton he's taken a lot of stick lately myself included but he's got through it and hope his good form continues.

That’s not him that was me.

And it’s getting spooky, the 2 games I missed last year were the 1-0 win up in Elgin winner in the 90th minute and the 2-1 win at Annan winer in the 90th minute. This season it’s been the 6-2 win at Stranraer and the game yesterday.

Gutting but amazing at the same time. I actually turned off my TV after we went 2-1 up yesterday and went and done a few things for 5 minutes as I couldn’t handle watching.

1320lichtie, lichtie1320? Wtf? I’ll have to pay more attention.

Pleased for Hutton he's taken a lot of stick lately myself included but he's got through it and hope his good form continues.

Getting dropped at Queens Park seems to have done him a lot of good. Been good since with a few MOTM performances thrown in against Raith and Stranraer.

Happy for him too. For all of McCalls comments about how they should’ve been out of sight etc he barely had a save to make yesterday by the look of it.

Archived