Scotland Centre Backs

If you were in any position of influence at Celtic or Sevco you'd surely be asking after Scott McKenna on loan.

Personally I'd hope both clubs would be told to bolt and he'd go on loan in England or, preferably, somewhere in mainland Europe.

21 hours ago, MarkoRaj said:

Tierney played the last 15 for Sociedad.

Let's just pray that he can make it through the rest of the season unscathed

Other way round. Tierney started and the other LB (Munoz) came on for the last 15.

On 03/12/2023 at 17:25, Ewanandmoreagain said:

As far as I could make out BBC sport had Kenny McLean playing as a left centre back today !

The BBC Sport presentation of formations is often wildly different from what’s actually on the pitch. For example, more than once last season I noted they had John Stones listed on the wing for City!

3 hours ago, PedroTon said:

The BBC Sport presentation of formations is often wildly different from what’s actually on the pitch. For example, more than once last season I noted they had John Stones listed on the wing for City!

He was genuinely playing centre half for Norwich on Sunday though. It wasn’t a BBC mistake. 

Jarell Quansah at Liverpool has a Scottish grandparent apparently. Unlikely to make the leap while in the current England U-21 team, he will fancy his chances to go all the way with England. But worth an eye for the near future if he doesn't break through

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 01/01/2024 at 16:29, Ewanandmoreagain said:

Hanley and " the Mayor " in Norwich's back five.

Cooper playing 

Porteous playing again 

The 1st Jan was the last time he played, been on the bench ever since! 
Think he’s pretty much surplus even though he is Club Captain 

Don’t think Hanley played much either and Proteous not a regular which is strange, thought he was doing well with Watford….. 

3 hours ago, BroraBoy said:

The 1st Jan was the last time he played, been on the bench ever since! 
Think he’s pretty much surplus even though he is Club Captain 

Don’t think Hanley played much either and Proteous not a regular which is strange, thought he was doing well with Watford….. 

Grant Hanley - Tore his achilles in April and was out for about 8 months. Returned to play 45 mins for Norwich at West Brom on Boxing Day. Started the games against Southampton (Jan 1st) and Bristol Rovers (Jan 6th), but suffered a back injury in the Bristol game and hasn't been seen since. David Wagner reported last week he would be back in training this week.

Jack Hendry - Been playing 90 minutes pretty much every week for Al-Ettifaq as far as I can see. Think they are on their winter break at the moment.

Kieran Tierney - Missed a couple of months Oct / Nov with a hamstring problem but otherwise seems to be playing regularly for Real Sociedad, although Google suggests that's at LB rather than LCB.

Ryan Porteous - Regular starter at Watford. He's been left on the bench for a couple of games recently, but describing him as "not a regular" is a reach.

Scott McKenna - Came on as an extra time sub for Forest at Blackpool in the FA Cup last midweek which was his first outing since mid September and was basically forced as every other centre back was either injured or away at AFCON. They've given Andrew Omabamdele his debut in the last two games rather than turn to McKenna. Still think if he is to go to Germany he's going to need to move away at the end of the window. Doubt they'll let him go right now though, their squad is wafer thin. They'll need some back from AFCON first.

Liam Cooper - Has barely kicked a ball for Leeds this season. 7 starts all season I think and only two of them in the last three months. He got one minute as a sub on Sunday but he's well out of the picture.

John Souttar - In and out for Rangers. He played at Dumbarton on Saturday night but generally at the moment seems to be 3rd choice behind Goldson and Balogun. He's getting minutes here and there but not a regular.

Whole situation's not ideal. Clearly subject to fitness Tierney, Hendry and Porteous are going. I've absolutely no doubt Hanley will go if he's fit and playing but he's had a few niggles since coming back from so long out. Only to be expected but needs to settle into regular football. Then who knows? If neither McKenna nor Cooper get regular football between now and then will he go with Souttar? Difficult one. Hopefully McKenna gets himself regular game time somewhere. Can't see it being Forest though.

On 14/12/2023 at 18:45, Christophe said:

Jarell Quansah at Liverpool has a Scottish grandparent apparently. Unlikely to make the leap while in the current England U-21 team, he will fancy his chances to go all the way with England. But worth an eye for the near future if he doesn't break through

Started tonight for Liverpool 

12 hours ago, the snudge said:

Started tonight for Liverpool 

Jarell Quansah appears to be quality and Klopp has huge admiration for him! 
Would be good if we could turn him as this position needs strengthening 

1 hour ago, BroraBoy said:

Jarell Quansah appears to be quality and Klopp has huge admiration for him! 
Would be good if we could turn him as this position needs strengthening 

I'll be surprised if we "turn" Quansah. Similar to Livramento and Gordon, he's playing at an excellent club level and will probably consider himself capable of breaking into the England squad.

I think more likely if he's 24+ and England hasn't happened then he might consider a switch to Scotland such as Che Adams, Angus Gunn and maybe Harvey Barnes. IMO, The only way Gordon, Quansah and Livramento will play for us now is if they are of a similar mindset to McTominay and there is a drive from within to play for Scotland, which I see no evidence of.

I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed when the squad is announced for March and June. I think it will be pretty similar to what's gone before. Something Steve Clarke suggested recently.

It’s going to be much more difficult this time to just take a young one along for experience. Hopefully it will last more than three games. You might pick up injuries or suspensions and you can’t call anybody in.

Once you go with your 23 and pick up two or three injuries or a couple of suspensions, you’re down to the bare bones. I would imagine that the squad, when it comes, won’t be too different to the squads that I normally pick.

Steve Clarke

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/11613708/ben-doak-scotland-euro-2024-steve-clarke-celtic-liverpool/

Edited by 2426255

1 hour ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

refrain from throwing sweeties at Elliot Anderson , allegedly !

I think Kenny McLean playing Centre Half for Scotland at a Major Tournament would be pretty remote, not sure how many defenders he’ll (S.Clarke) select (I’m guessing 8, 2LB 2RB and 4CB where Tierney gives you that LB CB option) 

But a certain selection for Euros, the Mayor as you call him 😉

Edited by BroraBoy