A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

1 hour ago, The Mantis said:

Caley v Rangers, Scottish Cup,  1984. Billy Urquhart, Bobby Williamson, Davie Cooper, Bob Summers, Hamish MacDonald, Ian Redford. This is probably Williamson scoring no 4.

1.jpg

The crowd going up Telford Street at the end

telford.JPG.11f1e82202ab9a81166e1658cf486fee.JPG

18feb84-1-report-scaled.thumb.jpg.5bb2b0a8ef09ee56642ee1c0c4e354c4.jpg

Rangers goals cheered by both the home and away fans I take it... 

According to Google there's an Ally Donaldson on Facebook who comes from Loanhead originally and now lives in Carnoustie. Presume it's the old Dundee player. 

1 hour ago, Steve Carrella said:

I saw this many years ago - Charlie Tully meeting Danny Kaye. Anyone know how this came about?!20240616_120531.thumb.jpg.ae879c374994ef60e08cadd74cade9ff.jpg

1950 Glasgow Charity Cup.  Apparently Kaye was playing a Glasgow theatre that week and was invited to meet the teams.

1 hour ago, Steve Carrella said:

I saw this many years ago - Charlie Tully meeting Danny Kaye. Anyone know how this came about?!20240616_120531.thumb.jpg.ae879c374994ef60e08cadd74cade9ff.jpg

Brought in to boost the crowd or more likely to try and calm the bottle party brigade at the 1950 Glasgow Charity Cup Final. 

On 15/06/2024 at 22:59, HibeeJibee said:

Paisley Charity Cup in 1960 which St Mirren lost 3-4... USA scoring past West Germany, still a fairly exotic concept then: albeit both were effectively British citizens. Denis Law - who scored brace - and Jackie Plenderleith also featured for City.

Over at Tynecastle the Edinburgh XI were dispatching Chelsea by 4-3 in Allison Trophy, with Gerry's brother Joe - by then of course an England international - on the scoresheet.

Either match and indeed narrow score be inconceivable today... who'd envisage both visitors being bought by wealthy foreigners 40yrs later.

Worth adding Kilmarnock were off losing International Soccer League Final in New York by 2-0 to Bangu; while the inaugural Anglo-Franco-Scottish Friendship Cup ties were also played:

Lens 0-4 Clyde
Sedan 3-0 Celtic
Toulouse 1-2 Motherwell
Valenciennes 1-0 Dundee

Fascinating!

21 hours ago, megaspinnernet2 said:

Zoltan Varga a great sight in Scottish football in early 1970's. Highly skilful player who scored great goals. Ended up Johan Cruyff's replacement at Ajax 1973.

Zoltan Varga a great sight in Scottish football in early 1970's. Highly skilful player who scored great goals. Ended up Johan Cruyff's replacement at Ajax 1973..jpg

Brilliant player.

16 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Did he play in the same Aberdeen team as this guy?

Yes, but they only played a handful of games together at the tail end of season 72/73, as Boel had walked out in October, only to return in March.

5 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Yes, but they only played a handful of games together at the tail end of season 72/73, as Boel had walked out in October, only to return in March.

I remember collecting football cards from the early 70s and it was always great to come across (settle down Kenneth) players like Boel and Varga as there weren't that many foreigners around.  

18 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Caley v Rangers, Scottish Cup,  1984. Billy Urquhart, Bobby Williamson, Davie Cooper, Bob Summers, Hamish MacDonald, Ian Redford. This is probably Williamson scoring no 4.

1.jpg

The crowd going up Telford Street at the end

telford.JPG.11f1e82202ab9a81166e1658cf486fee.JPG

18feb84-1-report-scaled.thumb.jpg.5bb2b0a8ef09ee56642ee1c0c4e354c4.jpg

I've said before, but I was at that game. Right on the barrier roughly at the half way line. Remember Rangers' tactics were mostly "Give the ball to Peter McCloy to launch it right into the Caley box". My uncle, a Rangers fan, took me, and he was fuming that the one talented player on display, Davie Cooper, spent the entire game out on the wing largely being ignored.

MacDonald, the keeper (Billy, not Hamish) lived 3 or 4 doors up from us in Smithton.