Record Transfer Fees for clubs outside Premier League

We paid £375k for Derek Ferguson in about 95.

Record fees in will be probably Conor McGrandles who was rumoured to be getting toward  £1M with add ons, so maybe half of that? Kingsley was £350k I think but that's much bigger now as add ons have kicked in.

What was Arfield? £350k? Similar for Fulton?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

That season we bought Pressley we also spent £400,000 on Owen Coyle, £375,000 on Gary McSwegan and, if memory serves, £250,000 on Sandy Robertson. In total United spent over £2,000,000 on transfers that season. :lol:

Interesting. And how did that work out? Did you win the league that year....

1 hour ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

That is decent business. Templeman could have played for Scotland if he had a little more pace.

That's quite enough from you. I've read a lot of pish on here. This is up there. It's pish. Utter pish.

Pretty sure we paid something mental like £200k for David Graham in 1999ish. He was an utter waster who just boasted about how he used to play for the dead club.

The second David Graham was far better (and cheaper).

When Jimmy Calderwood became our manager in 1999, we made him the third highest paid manager in Scotland. We were in the First Divsion at the time, and we didn't even win it, being promoted only because of league extension. There was supposed to be a play off between 2nd and 3rd, but since Falkirk, who finished 3rd, didn't meet the ludicrous ground criteria, we were just given the second spot. 

We signed quite a few guys that season, including Ian Ferguson, David Moss, Eddie May, Michel Doesburg, Justin Skinner and Kris Mampeay. I can't recall the fees, but I do remember they were high. 

We brought out a video of that season...

54 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I think we got £250,000 from Southend for Andy Thomson in 1994. 

I`ve no idea what the biggest fee we`ve paid is. 

We got £250k up front. We later got a further £5k after he'd made a certain number of appearances.

I think the biggest fee we've paid might be £30,000 but to be confirmed. I'm working my way through the Minute Books checking those.

John Henry was a good player for us over a few spells. I remember walking out of Broadwood one time when the fans were all serenading him:

"We love John Henry,

and if it's quite alright,

we love John Henry,

and if he's playing shoite,

we love John Henry,

trust in me when I say..."

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

We got £250k up front. We later got a further £5k after he'd made a certain number of appearances.

I think the biggest fee we've paid might be £30,000 but to be confirmed. I'm working my way through the Minute Books checking those.

Was that for Jim Butter?

6 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

100k for David Moss, which we immediately spent on John Henry.

All I can think of is that 100k in the 2nd tier as our highest fee, 70k I think for Eddie May.

I'm sure the Stainrod deal was suggested it was 100k, tho probably not a transfer fee as such, more a signing on fee

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Was that for Jim Butter?

Jim Butter was reported as being £30k. No idea it it actually was or not as its before my time of involvement and way beyond the date my review of minutes is at.

I think however Gary Wood was £30k back in the day.

9 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Jim Butter was reported as being £30k. No idea it it actually was or not as its before my time of involvement and way beyond the date my review of minutes is at.

Did we pay a transfer fee for Jamie Campbell from Clydebank?

8 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Ah right.

It's an interesting thread this.  It always amazes me that we paid fees like 20k for Dickson in the 70s when it cost peanuts to get in.

Paying that kind of money now, would be unthinkable.

7 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I think we got £250,000 from Southend for Andy Thomson in 1994. 

Thomson was also moving from Scotland's third (and then bottom) tier to England's second one where he was straight into the side.

Again, such a trajectory would be rare now.

Archived