Edinburgh Bars

Cumdog35

Been out in Glasgow loads. We've been in groups of 4 in  and been turned away stone cold sober. Have also had nights where we've had no problems either but tends to be at least one establishment you'll get turned away from on a night out.

Honestly can say this has never happened to me the entire time I’ve lived in Glasgow. Are you carrying machetes or something?

Not true.
Glasgow bouncers are the worst i've come across for seemingly getting a thrill from spoiling your night.

I remember them being absolutely brutal in some places and more chilled out in others. My friends would often want to go to the Garage when I would be about 18/19 and they were particularly bad there, could queue for 45 minutes and they would take one look and say “not tonight chaps” just for whatever reason they could come up with. “I don’t recognise you as regulars” was often one that would be used that really made no sense to me as a reason to be knocked back. Venues with more laid back bouncers were usually better anyway and the Garage was full of absolute knobheads then and I doubt that anything has changed since.

1 hour ago, throbber said:

I remember them being absolutely brutal in some places and more chilled out in others. My friends would often want to go to the Garage when I would be about 18/19 and they were particularly bad there, could queue for 45 minutes and they would take one look and say “not tonight chaps” just for whatever reason they could come up with. “I don’t recognise you as regulars” was often one that would be used that really made no sense to me as a reason to be knocked back. Venues with more laid back bouncers were usually better anyway and the Garage was full of absolute knobheads then and I doubt that anything has changed since.

The best bouncers stop groups of 18/19 year olds getting in out of kindness to their customers inside. Same applies to stag and hen parties.

4 hours ago, Mallo_Madrid said:

Been out in Glasgow loads. We've been in groups of 4 in  and been turned away stone cold sober. Have also had nights where we've had no problems either but tends to be at least one establishment you'll get turned away from on a night out.

3 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Honestly can say this has never happened to me the entire time I’ve lived in Glasgow. Are you carrying machetes or something?

Surely a requirement for drinking in Glasgow? Could be where you are going wrong Mallo

3 minutes ago, Mallo_Madrid said:

Beer and Skittles has been suggested to me for a big group.. beers, pool, darts, big screen for the scores on the Saturday?

Yay or Nae?

If you can get Falkirk's Flores Man to join in you can indulge in dwarf tossing.

2 minutes ago, Zen Archer said:

If you can get Falkirk's Flores Man to join in you can indulge in dwarf tossing.

I've not much height on a dwarf myself to be honest so i'll not be suggesting that incase they start throwing me around.

Thanks though.

55 minutes ago, Mallo_Madrid said:

Beer and Skittles has been suggested to me for a big group.. beers, pool, darts, big screen for the scores on the Saturday?

Yay or Nae?

The only bar I've been to in Edinburgh I've seen that sells pitchers of beer, yay from me

On 29/01/2018 at 16:57, NotThePars said:

When I stayed in Glasgow there was 4 of us who used to go out and this happened regularly to us. None of us were ever particularly drunk or loud, they would say "is it the 4 of you guys?" and when you said yes they would just say not tonight. We ended up just always going to the front of the queue in 2's and we would get in no problem. It always seemed daft to me.

7 hours ago, Mallo_Madrid said:

Yay or Nae?

There's worse venues for a stag do. Very central as well and you can walk to Rose St in close to 5 minutes. 

Yay or Nae?

Not that I should really matter but you don’t get a phone signal in there as it’s in a basement.

On 29/01/2018 at 08:00, the jambo-rocker said:

The new Malones just opened up off Haymarket and the fuckers have the cheek to charge £4.50 for a pint of tennents. 

Considering the steep mark up from Diane's who did them for £2.40, I hope the business goes to the wall tbqh.

*£2.50 in Diane's. But anyway that's an absolute travesty, used to see the same guys at Diane's on almost daily basis and now their local boozer has been replaced with another generic industry owned pub. Quite sad tbh. Fancied Malone's as my new local though, but absolutely f**k that if it's £4.50 just for Tennent's, that's as bad Ryries. 

On 29/01/2018 at 15:09, Mallo_Madrid said:

Not true.

Glasgow bouncers are the worst i've come across for seemingly getting a thrill from spoiling your night.

Depends where you went / how you look. It's really not that bad, definitely worse places. 

I like Thomson's on Morrison St, typical old boozer, good pint of Guinness and do good pies. Monty's further down is decent if you want to arse about with ales pretending they taste class to your mates. Good Whisky/Gin selection too. Blue Blazer the other direction is a kinda mix of both these places which is nice if your mates want to w**k off to ales while you enjoy a Guinness. 

Can't really go wrong on Rose St or surrounding streets/lanes if you do, you probably don't belong in a pub. 

1 hour ago, thistledo said:

*£2.50 in Diane's. But anyway that's an absolute travesty, used to see the same guys at Diane's on almost daily basis and now their local boozer has been replaced with another generic industry owned pub. Quite sad tbh. Fancied Malone's as my new local though, but absolutely f**k that if it's £4.50 just for Tennent's, that's as bad Ryries. 

Depends where you went / how you look. It's really not that bad, definitely worse places. 

I like Thomson's on Morrison St, typical old boozer, good pint of Guinness and do good pies. Monty's further down is decent if you want to arse about with ales pretending they taste class to your mates. Good Whisky/Gin selection too. Blue Blazer the other direction is a kinda mix of both these places which is nice if your mates want to w**k off to ales while you enjoy a Guinness. 

Can't really go wrong on Rose St or surrounding streets/lanes if you do, you probably don't belong in a pub. 

Aye we'll definately be along Rose street, that much is decided.

I don't think even one of the group drinks Ale. Predominately lager then onto the halfs.

43 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Will be boozing in the bar upstairs in Harvey Nics on Friday night. Can't remember what they have on draught but it will be little more than juice to wash down my cocktails. 

It’s alright up there, if you can get a seat. Sure it was innes and gunn on draught. Pint and a cocktail for her was around £16 I’m sure

2 minutes ago, heedthebaa said:

It’s alright up there, if you can get a seat. Sure it was innes and gunn on draught. Pint and a cocktail for her was around £16 I’m sure

Quite like it up there - not as up itself as you might expect and the view is good (getting some diner in the Bistro section). 

Went to The Ivy recently but didn't like it. Could see what they were trying to do with the decor but thought it looked like a shite set from an episode of Minder and found the whole thing a bit noisy.