Scotland name squad

28 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Everyone losing it over Hendry because he plays for Celtic does my nut in. He wasn’t even picked to start with ffs whilst centre halves from Aberdeen, Blackburn, Norwich and Rangers were. Hanlon has no future in the national team and is ridiculously overrated by Hibs fans, Souttar is with the under 21s and whilst I agree Lindsay should maybe feel annoyed or called up he hasn’t been. I’m sure like myself 99 percent of the people who want him in the squad over Hendry haven’t even actually seen him play this season.

ETA: well known Celtic lover as the manager too, clearly biased

The boy's started 40 league games in his career and been on the winning team 7 times.   He's completely undeserving of a call up

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The boy's started 40 league games in his career and been on the winning team 7 times

Who cares? What has that got to do with absolutely anything?

He’s being judged as a player in the here and now, he was a standout at Dundee and is now playing at the best team in the country, a young lad too.

Does the simple fact that someone like Souttar has played so many more games mean he’s better? It doesn’t. I certainly don’t think so anyway.

1 minute ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Who cares? What has that got to do with absolutely anything?

He’s being judged as a player in the here and now, he was a standout at Dundee and is now playing at the best team in the country, a young lad too.

He's started 3 games for Celtic.  None of which he's been anything other than ordinary in.  There's no danger his Dundee form would have got him a call up.

He's started 3 games for Celtic.  None of which he's been anything other than ordinary in.  There's no danger his Dundee form would have got him a call up.

How do you know that like? [emoji1]

There’s a reason he’s still not at Dundee too by the way.

5 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

How do you know that like? emoji1.png

There’s a reason he’s still not at Dundee too by the way.

Cause 2 of them were televised...  He was pish against Killie.  He was alright today.

He might have been like Beckenbauer in the 0-0 home draw with St Johnstone in fairness.

He is not deserving of a Scotland call up. Not after half a season of football. And even then he is been good. Not great but good.

If he is there to make up the numbers then maybe but in no way he deserved that.

However as a dundee fan I'm chuffed for him. Made us a few quid

He is there to make up the numbers he wasn’t even a first pick.

To be honest the only other players I’d have put in before him are Berra (f**k knows what’s happening there) and Lindsay (but only from what I’ve heard I haven’t actually seen him) we barely have any decent centre halves so calling up a young guy who’s had a great breakthrough season and warned a 1 million pound move to Celtic hardly seems like that big of a deal to me.

Some people just let their hatred of the OF shine through though, he’s going to get scrutinised and moaned about all week because of that, he’s just a young guy that’s been called up by his country give him a break. Social media is a joke just now. Hibs fans greeting about fucking Hanlon, Hearts fans Souttar, there’s even Motherwell fans greeting about Richard Tait. They don’t even see their own bias shining through. [emoji1]

McLeish is manager ffs. Hardly known for his love of Celtic.

Would he of got picked if he was at dundee still ?
Be honest please :-).

This has nothing to do with the old firm.
This has to do with a player I've seen for half a season at Dens.

Again I'm glad he has been called up so let's not say that again :-).

There are Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen players called up so I do not see why not. He was getting raved about when he was at Dundee too remember.

He wouldn't of. He got raved about while we sat in 10th because he and a few others were our only good players. But international level after half a season ? Come on now .  

Well done Neil McCann....

HOW DO YOU KNOW? [emoji23]

Who would’ve got called up then if he was still at Dundee?

And like I’ve already said, we do not have any good centre halves, you could say ‘international level? Come on’ about the whole fucking lot of them.

Liam Lindsay has every right to feel aggrieved. In the Premiership team of the season last year and has now established himself as a regular at an English Championship team, which a host of Scottish players have tried and failed to do. It must be galling to have put so much into his development in the last 2/3 seasons and see lesser players like Hendry and McKenna and even Paul Hanlon ahead of him in the pecking order. 

I suppose he just needs a more fashionable club on his CV. I find it hard to believe he’d have been ignored for so long had he come from, or was currently at, one of the OF or Aberdeen or Hibs.

Didn't McFadden say something about too many left footed defenders or something like that? Maybe that's why Lindsay is out, plus his team are in a bit of relegation bother so it's possible he's trying to stay fresh for that run in too.

No issue with Hendry being called up especially with Souttar still eligible for the under 21s. We must be going for 3 at the back then.

I assume the choice was between Hendry and Souttar, as they're both comfortable on the right of a back three. And Souttar is in the youth squad. 

We already have two left footed centre halves in the squad with Mulgrew and McKenna and this was mentioned as the reason to why Berra and Lindsay weren't included. Berra has been carrying a knock and to the manager is obviously behind Mulgrew in the pecking order. He wants a proper look at McKenna who he obviously rates more highly than Lindsay.

I believe the Russell Martin inclusion was more about appeasing a certain half of Glasgow as he has been pretty poor in the games I have saw him play this season.  He obviously was looking at another right footed centre half once Martin dropped out and it was probably between Souttar and Hendry.  Souttar is in the under 21 squad for a crucial qualifier so I can understand him being left there as he has already taken McKenna off them and McCrorie is injured. Why take him away from the under 21s to probably not play him.

Hendry looks a good prospect and I though he was one of Celtics better performers yesterday and certainly looks more comfortable than the Belgian international Boyata.

For Hendry doesnt deserve to be in the squad quite yet. Before this season hes hardly played first team football, at quite a low level.

Same with Scott McKenna, did Andy Robertson not make his debut after half a season at Dundee United too?

7 hours ago, AMMjag said:

Liam Lindsay has every right to feel aggrieved. In the Premiership team of the season last year and has now established himself as a regular at an English Championship team, which a host of Scottish players have tried and failed to do. It must be galling to have put so much into his development in the last 2/3 seasons and see lesser players like Hendry and McKenna and even Paul Hanlon ahead of him in the pecking order. 

I suppose he just needs a more fashionable club on his CV. I find it hard to believe he’d have been ignored for so long had he come from, or was currently at, one of the OF or Aberdeen or Hibs.

So because he jumps ship to a complete shambles of a football club in the English championship suddenly makes him better than McKenna. He plays in a defence who on average concede at least a goal a game. Just remember Aberdeen were knocking back bids for McKenna from far bigger clubs than Barnsley in January.

Wouldn't be surprised to see McKenna in the Premiership team of the season this year as he has established himself ahead of some defenders who could quite comfortably get a game for Barnsley.

11 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Same with Scott McKenna, did Andy Robertson not make his debut after half a season at Dundee United too?

I should have said before others. McKenna I would put in the same boat as well, basically Lindsay should be ahead of both of them as he has a few seasons of SPFL football under him and now playing at a higher level. 

I dont see any harm them playing in a friendly though unless they start thinking they have made it after less than one season of football at an ok level.

16 minutes ago, ekfootball said:

We already have two left footed centre halves in the squad with Mulgrew and McKenna and this was mentioned as the reason to why Berra and Lindsay weren't included. Berra has been carrying a knock and to the manager is obviously behind Mulgrew in the pecking order. He wants a proper look at McKenna who he obviously rates more highly than Lindsay.

I believe the Russell Martin inclusion was more about appeasing a certain half of Glasgow as he has been pretty poor in the games I have saw him play this season.  He obviously was looking at another right footed centre half once Martin dropped out and it was probably between Souttar and Hendry.  Souttar is in the under 21 squad for a crucial qualifier so I can understand him being left there as he has already taken McKenna off them and McCrorie is injured. Why take him away from the under 21s to probably not play him.

Hendry looks a good prospect and I though he was one of Celtics better performers yesterday and certainly looks more comfortable than the Belgian international Boyata.

Berra says in the EEN article today that he is one of the over-30s that McLeish told beforehand that they wouldn't be picked (to give younger guys a chance).

“When you first get the call, you’re obviously disappointed but you learn the older you get that you just take it on the chin and get on with it,” said the 41-times capped player, who had started the past six Scotland matches. “Alex just phoned me and a few other players to say he was going to try the younger ones so it’s down to him. Football’s about opinions – if he fancies me, he fancies me and if he doesn’t, there’s not much I can do. I’ve always given my all for Scotland so all I can do is keep playing as well as I can for Hearts and keep up our good record defensively. “The injury wouldn’t have me prevented joining up with the squad – you go along and assess how bad the ankle is, it just depends.”

I think he's reading too much into the fact he's been left out this time.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/hearts-christophe-berra-disappointed-by-scotland-snub-1-4707833

Archived