Scotland name squad

4 hours ago, Virtual Insanity said:

DYFUlm7X0AAuFeC.jpg

Few decisions I'm a bit sceptical about tbh. 

Martin-Wasn't getting a game at championship level, has went to Rangers and his form hasn't been all that, would rather have had one of the younger centre backs in there. 

Mulgrew - Again, would rather have one of the younger centre backs in there, he's playing at league one now?career has been on a downward projectory for a while 

Kenny McLean - Isn't good enough for international level, barely stands out when I watch Aberdeen, get him in the bin. 

Jamie Murphy -  How does six games for Rangers merit a call up?

Ryan Christie - Might have potential but whenever I've seen Aberdeen recently he's not been upto much. 

Cummings - Not good enough for a poor Nottingham Forrest side, in the squad for?... 

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Martin-Wasn't getting a game at championship level, has went to Rangers and his form hasn't been all that, would rather have had one of the younger centre backs in there. 
Mulgrew - Again, would rather have one of the younger centre backs in there, he's playing at league one now?career has been on a downward projectory for a while 
Kenny McLean - Isn't good enough for international level, barely stands out when I watch Aberdeen, get him in the bin. 
Ryan Christie - Might have potential but whenever I've seen Aberdeen recently he's not been upto much. 
Cummings - Not good enough for a poor Nottingham Forrest side, in the squad for?... 

Mulgrew is probably still our best centre half and only 32. Cummings isn’t great but are there really many other options?

Can’t disagree with the rest.

13 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Mulgrew is probably still our best centre half and only 32. Cummings isn’t great but are there really many other options?

Can’t disagree with the rest.

In the past we had strikers who were at least a success in the championship, now we're picking players that have failed in the championship. I would rather have had Burke in there. 

Mulgrew deserves his place in the squad. As for Martin agree but maybe the plan is to play him at right back as he’s played a lot of his career there

Paterson is in a interesting one as he's spent a lot of the season playing central midfield for Cardiff and hasn't been near right back for some time. It seems unbalanced from that perspective unless we are continuing with Tierney as the right back.

Said it before but I can honestly see Douglas getting tried out there and if it's not working Paterson dropping in, but would like to see Paterson getting tried out in midfield first!!!   

Seen some people mentioning the lack of certain regulars but I'm pretty sure Fletcher had been injured for the past few weeks, Morrison has been the same since the start of the year, so this is the time to give the new/young guys a try out, also think that they'll probably be more likely to be the guys who will be champing at the bit to play, so they'll be the ones dying to go to Mexico and Peru where you could see some of the old hands having "injuries", so BEM will be wanting to try them out beforehand!!!

Eta getting BEM in early btw, we had WGS so the progression is only natural!!![emoji6]

In the past we had strikers who were at least a success in the championship, now we're picking players that have failed in the championship. I would rather have had Burke in there. 

True - Cummings will most likely never be good enough. Burke could be, if he starts putting some effort in to get into the West Brom team.

3 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Tierney definitely is. 

3 hours ago, woof! said:

McKenna and Tierney are left footers.

I wasn't really counting Tierney as a centre-half but that was before McLeish appears to have confirmed he'll play him at centre-half.

I never had McKenna down as a left footer but then recalled that pearler against Killie. Stand corrected. 

Mcleish quote “ Oliver [McBurnie] has come to me late in the day. He got flagged to me a couple of weeks ago and it was my goal to watch him closely”.

Most of the tartan army have known about Mcburnie for years yet Mcleish has only just found out about him 2 weeks ago :-/

I'll admit it, I've got no complaints about McLeish so far. He's said all the right things, I like his choices for assistant and no arguments about the squad selection today.

Of course, guys like McArthur, Snodgrass, Berra etc will be considered when the serious games come around but a lot of new faces, which is good to see.

5 minutes ago, skippy2015 said:

Most of the tartan army have known about Mcburnie for years

This is what happens when you get caught in the bubble. My mate, who follows football fairly closely, didn't even know the Scottish top flight has a split. The regular football fan had never heard of Oli McBurnie, although I accept McLeish certainly should have had some clue about his progress.

This is what happens when you get caught in the bubble. My mate, who follows football fairly closely, didn't even know the Scottish top flight has a split. The regular football fan had never heard of Oli McBurnie, although I accept McLeish certainly should have had some clue about his progress.

We're reading a bit much into this aren't we? Isn't it more likely that McLeish means McBurnie's recent form has turned his head as opposed to the idea that he'd never even heard of him. Until his recent purple patch with Barnsley he was doing little with Swansea.

2 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

We're reading a bit much into this aren't we? Isn't it more likely that McLeish means McBurnie's recent form has turned his head as opposed to the idea that he'd never even heard of him. Until his recent purple patch with Barnsley he was doing little with Swansea.

Well he does say he hadn't heard of him til two weeks ago.

That's exactly what he means!!!

1 hour ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

What a load of nonsense. "Follows football fairly closely" but "didn't even know the Scottish top flight has a split"? I think our definition of "closely" differs somewhat.

Archived