The Beast from the East

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The homelessness problem is a much bigger problem than preparation for bad weather; and I agree that it's becoming a bigger problem due to poor resources.

What council are you in?

Id rather not say as they are in a way my employer. However that does give me an insight into just how woefully under prepared (and not as you’d say a ‘generalisation’) for any cold weather we are generally across the central belt.

What I would say is with careful planning it actually wouldn’t be difficult to make a cut in the number of gritters or ploughs if they made other contingency plans such as retrofitting something that would allow bin lorries to be fitted with a plough part etc and wouldn’t cost ‘billions’ as suggested by another poster.

My council has no 4x4 vehicles for use by home care staff resulting in the most vulnerable being even more at risk.

They have no facility to provide a warm shelter for the elderly or impoverished who can’t afford heat etc, which again may be shrugged off by some on here however isn’t that outrageous an expectation in my opinion.

I appreciate how making a single post calling out a lack of preparedness can be seen as rampant generalisation, however I have genuine insight into it.

We are on a similar latitude to Moscow, the Yukon and others and have seen more extreme weather as a consequence of climate change yet the overall moves have been to actually cut funding to deal with the consequences of this. Yes we normally only get a few days of snow a year, but our overall ability to deal with colder winters is the bigger picture here.

I really didnt intend to enter into a huge debate about this but i’d hope it would encourage some posters to hold their local councils to account for their lack of preparedness.

Is this not the worst weather to hit since 2010? It certainly is for Dundee.

You seem to make some very good recommendations. Have you suggested them to the council? Does the bin lorry plough idea exist?

Your homelessness shelter idea is not an extreme weather issue, and like I said, I'd agree that we need to do more as a society to provide shelters for folk (especially in winter).

Ultimately though, it comes down to funding. And as you'll know there's nae money.

In my experience councils are quite open to suggestions that would improve their effectiveness (and cut costs) - or usually have very good reasons why they wouldn't work.

That's not to say that some councils will be better prepared than others.

14 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

If they (local authorities, Scottish government, U.K. government, etc) spent vast amounts each year to ‘protect us’ against the worst excesses of bad winters that only happen once in a blue moon folk would be moaning like f**k about their profligacy.

In my experience, the people most opposed to paying for government services are always the first to complain when they don't get government services. "Lazy", "greedy", "incompetent" government employees are invariably to blame. Never the lack of funding. 

5 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

That's how much you've changed.

1 minute ago, Arch Stanton said:

I see it didn't take you long to start spelling incorrectly.

It's called assimilating like all good immigrants should do. Though I refuse to spell tyre the Canadian way. 

14 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Outstanding post.

Am I right in saying that he biggest difference is in the type of cars, as well as the chains on the tyres?

Our roads get clogged up by failing traffic and this seems to prevent the plough / gritter types from being effective.

Most cars built for this market are designed to be driven in extreme winter conditions, chains on tyres is more of rural thing. Winter tyres seems to do the job in the city. As far as snow plows go, there are rules/bylaws in place to accommodate them, you can't park on one side of some streets on certain days of the week to allow plowing. They pretty much have winter covered here, apart from the massive potholes that appear when there is a thaw 

Is this not the worst weather to hit since 2010? It certainly is for Dundee.

You seem to make some very good recommendations. Have you suggested them to the council? Does the bin lorry plough idea exist?

Not that i’m aware of, but it makes sense because you have these crews turning up for work and being paid but not able to get out, i’m not an engineer so i’m not sure exactly how it’d work but given its an all wheel drive hgv it makes sense to be able to do that. Could also use them to get the bin men out and chap older folks doors to make sure they are coping and warm, if not then could get carers out or basic messages to them. All of these things wouldn’t cost a fortune but would make the best of existing resources in a positive way.
Like I say we now have less than half the gritters and its meaning that even in non-extreme weather (just frost or a little snow) we still struggle to cope, thats the larger point im trying to make.

Your homelessness shelter idea is not an extreme weather issue, and like I said, I'd agree that we need to do more as a society to provide shelters for folk (especially in winter).

No its not, but it is pretty well documented that many homeless wouldn’t routinely make use of shelters all year round, but even just being able to mobilise a community centre etc and allow a charity to use it free would make a huge difference. But again it doesn’t happen where I am.

Ultimately though, it comes down to funding. And as you'll know there's nae money.

Thats the thing my council spends money on utter shite yet completely ignores the basics or gets it totally wrong.

In my experience councils are quite open to suggestions that would improve their effectiveness (and cut costs) - or usually have very good reasons why they wouldn't work.

That's not to say that some councils will be better prepared than others.

Most of the seething messes currently raging at the bold Hamza chose to be a region of England in 2014 - many of them also chose to let their own club die a few years earlier. Not in a position to lecture others on correct decision-making then. 

2 hours ago, pandarilla said:

Have you been in the worst of this weather? Do you not think schools should be closed in those areas?

Fucking hell.

My council (Dundee) got a huge amount of stick for keeping schools open today. That looks like it's been entirely justified but it just shows that folk will moan either way.

I wouldn't consider that a large part of the country being brought to a standstill would equate to, in your words, "coping reasonably well".

2 minutes ago, pandarilla said:
4 minutes ago, TQM said:

I wouldn't consider that a large part of the country being brought to a standstill would equate to, in your words, "coping reasonably well".

What the f**k do you expect? This is not even close to normal winter weather in Scotland.

I would expect someone to not consider a large part of the country coming to a standstill as "coping reasonably well".

They knew this was heading our way last week. There was one day of moderately heavy snow last February. Same problem with not preparing despite weather forecast telling us days before that it was coming.

What, in your opinion, would it take for us to not be coping well?

I would expect someone to not consider a large part of the country coming to a standstill as "coping reasonably well".
They knew this was heading our way last week. There was one day of moderately heavy snow last February. Same problem with not preparing despite weather forecast telling us days before that it was coming.

People dying.

Just now, pandarilla said:
1 minute ago, TQM said:

People dying.

So anything where people don't die is coping well. Pretty easy to please you then.

Archived