Dumbarton v Queens

If Burt is injured then why name him on the bench and then fling him on? If it's a minor knock preventing him from playing the 90 then why not play him for the first 60 instead of bringing him on when we're 1 down?

Whether or not Froxy is fucking off with Cyprus for the final he's a far better option than Handling, Russell or Nesbitt.

I just don't buy this almost sympathetic stuff towards our current situation. We have better players on the bench than what we do on the park. We have more creative and attacking players on the bench than what we have on the park. It's not bad luck, injuries or whatever else, it's Aitken being an absolute shitebag.

We are in a position now where risks need to be taken. We've stayed up in previous years by taking risks and actually going for it. Why all of a sudden are we scared to attack when draws simply aren't enough?

It's completely baffling. The game against Falkirk away is up there with one of the worst approaches to a match I've ever seen from a Dumbarton side. A must win match and we fart about the park praying for a goalless draw. Why would anybody in their right mind want to pay 20 quid to watch us draw our way to the relegation playoffs. Then what happens when we actually get there? We can't draw our way through those. We need players in form and scoring goals. Brechin won't catch us now, we have absolutely f**k all to lose.

It's simply not good enough and I'd rather get pumped trying to win a game than watch us absolutely shit ourselves.

I've seen bigger crowds at funerals than were present in the home end today, for what was a must win match and no wonder.
My comments on Burt and Froxylias were to convey facts, they were not intended as any sort of justification. I happen to agree with a lot of what you say, BBPF, and it gets back to whether this 'Best Part Time Team' stuff is more important than watching football that makes your eyes bleed.

If weekly grimfests are to be our Championship existence then I'd rather exit it.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

If weekly grimfests are to be our Championship existence then I'd rather exit it.

A change of tactics today makes that worth watching, it doesn't need to be a change of personnel or level. I'll never understand accepting a lower level of football, who's to say it's any better to watch with relegation? We might well find that League 1 teams are more than capable of handing us our arses on a plate come May.

Leighfield was superb(New number 1?),Defence done ok,Seeing Thomson and Jacobs starting in the middle was a delight and thought they done well.Out wide Thomas looked good but Dykes was our most ineffective player not that he played bad.Up top Dobbie looked lively and Lyle surely Naymsith he still has something to offer

Pitch was terrible but glad it went ahead as the results today all went in our favour.Beat Dundee Tuesday and we are in playoffs,this season has certainly been a rollercoaster of up and downs.Delighted tonight

and anyone know where that penalty landed,checked my garden and it's not there so must've went further 

Whilst agreeing with some of the observations on the game today and without being too analytical, I thought we were the better side and were unfortunate to lose. However, what kind of chain of command let Nisbet take that penalty? FFS!

I can't believe the critical post about Froxilias - Jeez! the guy had what? 15-20 minutes?  He won us the ties with Connah's Quay and  at TNS and his absence doesn't bode well for the final.

Burt was very impressive, but he looks as if he needs to grow and fill out a bit if he's to make it at a higher level.

Leighfield was superb(New number 1?),Defence done ok,Seeing Thomson and Jacobs starting in the middle was a delight and thought they done well.Out wide Thomas looked good but Dykes was our most ineffective player not that he played bad.Up top Dobbie looked lively and Lyle surely Naymsith he still has something to offer
Pitch was terrible but glad it went ahead as the results today all went in our favour.Beat Dundee Tuesday and we are in playoffs,this season has certainly been a rollercoaster of up and downs.Delighted tonight
and anyone know where that penalty landed,checked my garden and it's not there so must've went further 

I certainly feel far more secure with Leighfield than Martin. He is much more athletic and seems to command his box better. Just judging the two keepers on their respective performances for us this season there is no comparison but I am conscious that Leighfield has only played a handful of games.

Thomson and Jacobs both worked hard but their distribution is poor and yet again their inability to retain the ball when 1-0 up meant that we were inviting trouble and hanging on. They are a better combo than Rankin and Jacobs but in my opinion it remains our weakest area and it prevents us " taking the sting" out of games like today.

Do we have anything to lose by going 442 for the rest of the season? Playing Nesbit wide seemed totally pointless. Letting him take the penalty was stupidity. For goodness sake stick Froxy forward and in the middle of midfield and let him run the game. Start Tuesday with Burt and Stirling wide and let us go for goals. The scores from now on don’t matter as we will finish ninth. Let’s start attacking going for goals and  getting some confidence. Hopefully McLaughlin will be fit soon as we really miss him.

39 minutes ago, Scottylintonstowel said:

Do we have anything to lose by going 442 for the rest of the season? Playing Nesbit wide seemed totally pointless. Letting him take the penalty was stupidity. For goodness sake stick Froxy forward and in the middle of midfield and let him run the game. Start Tuesday with Burt and Stirling wide and let us go for goals. The scores from now on don’t matter as we will finish ninth. Let’s start attacking going for goals and  getting some confidence. Hopefully McLaughlin will be fit soon as we really miss him.

I said the same when we were making our first substitution. Why not go 442? We have pretty much confirmed today that we won't be avoiding 9th place and we could be doing with scoring a couple of goals in the next week before the cup final and then on the weeks leading up to the inevitable play offs.

Having watched it back I’ve no idea how Nisbet managed to get that amount of height on his penalty, especially on a slippy pitch.

Nothing but admiration for the levels we go to not to score.

Boomer being back in training is very pleasing. I’d pretty much ruled him out for the season. Stevie sounds less positive about Walsh though.

10 hours ago, Scottylintonstowel said:

9 hours ago, squeezeboxson said:

I said the same when we were making our first substitution. Why not go 442? We have pretty much confirmed today that we won't be avoiding 9th place and we could be doing with scoring a couple of goals in the next week before the cup final and then on the weeks leading up to the inevitable play offs.

I reckon Stevie is now picking tactics based on preserving the quality of his CV.  If we go down via the playoffs, and he ends up looking for a job at a bigger club (not that I think we'll bag him if we get relegated), he's looking to point to his record this year and say "Yeah, we went down, but we were the 2nd smallest team in the league, and look, despite that, we never got any pumpings.  That's how well I actually did".

If it's obvious from us uneducated types that we're finishing 9th, and that there's nothing to lose by 'going for it', Stevie and Ian must know that too.

I wouldn’t be thinking of getting rid of management team regardless of where we finish but I’m certain as a club we couldn’t afford to do it anyway .

may even benefit if he moved on and we could get done compensation 

I actually thought yesterday we did push forward accepting we have no cutting edge . 

The goal straight after half time deflated us for about 20 min but we were then pushing . 

Had penalty honevin who knows . Problem is it didn’t .

as said not the worst we have been. We just don’t seem to pick up anything in any game 

A game that was there for the taking, we definitely deserved something out of that. We definitely should’ve had a second penalty. I’m not going to be hard on nisbet, he has the confidence to take it, these things happen, maybe the pitch had something to do with it, I don’t know. We definitely can’t shitfest games for the rest of the season anymore. Let’s play more like First 20 minutes against Morton, go at teams, who cares if we get beat. I definitely think Stevie has one eye on the final, he seems to be protecting our attack minded players, so they don’t get injured in the lead up to it. That was my thoughts when I seen our starting eleven yesterday. I can understand that.

Just watched the highlights via YouTube. Wow looked like an entertaining game. I would give our MOM to young Jack Leighfield, he looked to make a string of good saves and seemed very commanding, if not all that successful, with his box. I think it could be argued that Sons could of had 3 penalties in the game and so we are very fortunate that the one they did get, was put in somebodies back garden. I am very happy with the 3 points and hope it gives us some momentum against the Arabs. 

Just want to add that I hope the Sons stay up and have a good cup final. Would like to visit next season following Queens and might find that difficult if your relegated. So please stay up.

8 minutes ago, optimistic said:

A game that was there for the taking, we definitely deserved something out of that. We definitely should’ve had a second penalty. 

??

Which one? Watching the highlights the first shout for a "challenge" by Dykes is a clear dive. The second one from Jacobs is a tighter call but looking at the angle the ball breaks from the tackle at it looks like Jacobs gets a toe to it.

Good free kick. Tough pitch but given the Saturday morning rain the groundsman's worked miracles to get it playable.

Dobbie unlucky when he hit the bar. Not sure there's anything deliberate in Jacobs early handball disallowed goal either but Dumbarton fans would have had a better angle than the camera?

Todorov should score or square to Marshall at the end.

16 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Aye. You know that. I know that. The 600 odd folk watching knew that. 

The only people who didn't think that appeared to be whoever made the decision.

Having seen him miss penalties for Airdrie, I wouldn’t know that!

Hows he getting on in general anyway?  Seems like a tough gig at the moment. 

Archived