BBC bias

2 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I too did Arithmatic and Maths as separate subjects.

It appears we have something in common.

Assuming you failed English though. :rolleyes: 

ETA shit, beaten to it.

Edited by Granny Danger

9 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I too did Arithmatic and Maths as separate subjects.

It appears we have something in common.

We should all meet for High Tea one day. I'll be washing my hair that day.

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I’ve never grown up but have lived all my life in Scotland.

Now I think about it, it was O grades not O levels.  Sorry!

Yes I was part of that first group taking Ordinary Grades in 1964, after they were introduced as a 2 year course from 1962, and Arithmetic was a separate exam. Curiously pupils did not have to take Ordinary grades before doing the Higher as we "skipped" O Grade English in 1964. One of my fellow pupils was desperate to sit it in 64, but was not allowed to and he failed the Higher in 65! I think even in the 1980's because of England having O levels, that many pupils and the public found it easier to use O Levels as the term, which might explain why we brought in Standard grade as E/W and NI evolved from  O levels to GCE / GCSE etc. 

26 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Yes I was part of that first group taking Ordinary Grades in 1964, after they were introduced as a 2 year course from 1962, and Arithmetic was a separate exam. Curiously pupils did not have to take Ordinary grades before doing the Higher as we "skipped" O Grade English in 1964. One of my fellow pupils was desperate to sit it in 64, but was not allowed to and he failed the Higher in 65! I think even in the 1980's because of England having O levels, that many pupils and the public found it easier to use O Levels as the term, which might explain why we brought in Standard grade as E/W and NI evolved from  O levels to GCE / GCSE etc. 

You must be one of the older posters here, 70 are you?

The absolute state of this backdrop on Newsnight [emoji38]corb.thumb.png.155af4efd765aef7413393b4c37b1b27.png

When George Osborne took over at the Evening Standard, a free and supposedly neutral paper, there started a run of brazen knocks on Theresa May, like scorned ex-employee stuff. Funny, but childish, and blatant. See now, their stance towards Corbyn is comical. It's like that sort of newsnight backdrop but in print. Daily. Especially since hes not jumped on the band wagon and has only gone as far as saying evidence points towards Russia as opposed to being "culpable" (as May did). I'm not a semantics expert so I don't know if these do amount to basically the same thing.

Anyway, I'm tempted to collect a week's worth and measure the number of anti-corbyn pieces vs holding the gov to account pieces, but particularly the subtle and more sinister placing of terminology like "the Left" and "the far Left" and "radical Left" ("Left" always capitalised).

I'm not sure yet whether I'm seeing these because I want to, or whether Osborne is trying to chip away at people's pysche. I never seem to see the same stuff written about "the Right" or "the far Right". Maybe measuring will tell me otherwise, I dunno.

I'm no Corbyn fanboy but I'm deeply scepticle about Osborne editing a free London commute rag read by hundreds of thousands, if not millions, subtly eroding people's ideas.

18 minutes ago, Jeff Venom said:

When George Osborne took over at the Evening Standard, a free and supposedly neutral paper, there started a run of brazen knocks on Theresa May, like scorned ex-employee stuff. Funny, but childish, and blatant. See now, their stance towards Corbyn is comical. It's like that sort of newsnight backdrop but in print. Daily. Especially since hes not jumped on the band wagon and has only gone as far as saying evidence points towards Russia as opposed to being "culpable" (as May did). I'm not a semantics expert so I don't know if these do amount to basically the same thing.

Anyway, I'm tempted to collect a week's worth and measure the number of anti-corbyn pieces vs holding the gov to account pieces, but particularly the subtle and more sinister placing of terminology like "the Left" and "the far Left" and "radical Left" ("Left" always capitalised).

I'm not sure yet whether I'm seeing these because I want to, or whether Osborne is trying to chip away at people's pysche. I never seem to see the same stuff written about "the Right" or "the far Right". Maybe measuring will tell me otherwise, I dunno.

I'm no Corbyn fanboy but I'm deeply scepticle about Osborne editing a free London commute rag read by hundreds of thousands, if not millions, subtly eroding people's ideas.

The Evening Standard is owned by a Russian. His Dad was a KGB boss. Nuff said.

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

You must be one of the older posters here, 70 are you?

Indeed I have now reached that age. Experience of suffering many years of disappointment with some interspersed joy , in following the Diamonds since 1956.  Age has helped me appreciate that there are many ways of looking at events but always being right. I only discovered P/B about 4 years ago and have enjoyed it enormously.

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Sounds legit.

I remember reading an article from someone who worked for the US treasury in the Reagan years, who asked the then-treasury secretary how they had so much influence over smaller countries who followed the US apparently against the interests of their own people.

"Money" he replied.

"You mean trade".

"No. We literally give them big bags of cash".