Major League Baseball

jimmy boo

On 10/08/2022 at 03:24, Boo Khaki said:

#willthepadreseverscorearunagain

This was in the midst of a 26 consecutive innings scoreless streak

Current one stands at 12, and showing every sign that it might go on for a good while yet.

Scandalous lack of production given the talent.

On 10/08/2022 at 06:24, Boo Khaki said:

#willthepadreseverscorearunagain

If memory serves, you posted that when your Padres were up against *check notes* the Giants of San Francisco during their weird and wonderful July/August losing streak (that seems to have magically disappeared, thanks God)...  there was no better team to be facing when you're in a slump and in need of some gifted runs, fielder errors, hit batters etc. - 20 runs in 2 games!!

On 13/08/2022 at 03:16, GNU_Linux said:

Padres' SS Fernando Tatis Jr has been hit with an 80 game suspension without pay effective immediately after testing positive for the banned PED Clostebol.

From a podium finish in the race for MVP... to an 80-game suspension, meaning that he won't play a game this season (and in doing so will only become the third player to ever have such a dip). 

Padres fans are rightly enraged with the guy - I remember when I was about 12 I briefly flirted with playing football for the youth team of an SPFL club, and even at that age we were lectured on the importance of running any ointments, medications, creams, sprays, tablets etc. by the team doctor before using them - that an MLB player would not do that seems totally insane (or more likely a complete fabrication) to me. 

On 13/08/2022 at 05:07, Boo Khaki said:

Says he took a medication to treat ringworm without consulting team/league doctors :1eye

San Diego Tribune - "Fernando Tatis Jr.'s ringworm explanation is plausible but is it probable?"

14 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Baffling how a team with so much talent and that payroll can have so many games where the offence does nothing whatsoever.

I must admit, I had high hopes that the Padres would be a serious challenge to the Dodgers - but that really isn't looking too likely right now. 

Tatis Jr's suspension really couldn't have come at a worse time - right enough he may have had to earn back a spot in the team, but it could have providing a really positive feeling around the place... and the recent results (basically since you posted that screenshot of the amazing line-up on 4 August...) have been woeful - by my calculations you have gone 4-8 and that included some games against tripe like the aforementioned slumping Giants, the Marlins and the worst in the league Nationals!  

Giants have won 5 in a row, having looked absolutely dead on our feet a week ago.  Just no idea what to think of this team.

This Pads season is remarkably similar to last year's epic meltdown. Hot during April and May, looking like genuine contenders, cooled off during June/July playing .500 baseball at best, before utterly collapsing in farcical manner down the stretch. Only real difference is that this year's early season performance was slightly better than last so the mid-season mediocrity hasn't quite caught up to them yet, and last season's demise was about a total lack of healthy starting pitching and an overworked bullpen, whereas 2022 Pads have perfectly adequate starting pitching but provide nothing in the way of run support apart from the once a fortnight splurge where they finally look like the offence that should be turning up practically every night. It soon just reverts to type though and they go straight back to streaks of 3 and 4 games where they leave 10, 12, or 15 on base and can't hit with RISP for love nor money.

I know they are still in a WC position, but playing .500 ball and losing two/winning two from here on in isn't going to cut it. I suspect that if the Brewers can grab the 6th playoff slot in the next couple of weeks then the Pads will completely fold and likely finish sub .500 yet again. That's exactly what happened in this scenario last season.

Find myself agreeing with the sentiment here. 

Pads have seen some really poor umpiring and a few strange decisions lately. They've also benefitted from a few, but I'd agree with Hedges about the lack of accountability. When players screw up they get called out for it, yet nothing is done about home plate umps who change their strike zone from pitch to pitch or inning to inning. Fair enough, if it's a marginal ball/strike right on the edge of the plate, it's only human that sometimes you'll be convinced its a ball and sometimes you'll call the exact same pitch a strike, but on more than one occasion lately I've seen umps call strike on sliders two to three inches off the plate, call the same pitch a ball, then flop straight back to calling it strike again. The plate blocking rule needs looked at as well and clarified. Austin Nola was called for plate blocking because his left foot was over the plate while the ball was still in the RF's glove and the runner barely off third base. It's confusing as f**k and gives the impression they're just making it up on the fly.

Edited by Boo Khaki

Darvish pitches an absolute gem v's the worst team in baseball, gives up 1 run through 8 1/3 and takes the loss because the Pads O has yet another utterly pathetic LOBfest, and the all-universe closer we traded for at the deadline is completely broken and can't throw a strike to save his life. 

Embarrassing how many losses this team are manufacturing right now.

Josh Hader with yet another clownshoes relief performance. Enters the game tied at 3 in the 9th, walks the lead off guy, takes a simple bobbler back to the mound and throws it into right field to score the runner all the way from first, throws a strike on the next pitch, then a total meatball over the plate and gets donged into the seats in left center. Promptly leaves the game with nobody out and the Pads trailing 6-3 :bag

This team were tied with the Dodgers on June 20th. Two months on, they've played sub .500 baseball all the way and are now 17 behind. 

Tatis jnr full of apologies in his presser. Says he will be spending most of the off-season in SD, and has finally relented and will get the shoulder surgery.

He's still insistent he took an unapproved medicine for a skin infection. I'm still extremely sceptical, but I did read elsewhere that 80% of PED busts in the MLB happen to Dominican players, and it's already documented that he's inherently stupid given the motorcycle nonsense, so perhaps he is genuinely just enough of an idiot to do something like that. God knows. :bag

On 04/08/2022 at 21:18, GNU_Linux said:

Shoutout to RHP Jess Chavez who has been traded for the tenth time in his career & second time in four months which has made him the most traded player in MLB history. Chavez was traded by the Braves to the Angels along with LHP Tucker Davidson for RHP Raisel Iglesias.

Chavez is now back with the Braves. Claimed off waivers rather than a trade though

Edited by Wile E Coyote

5 hours ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

Just bought a Mariners jersey from DH Gate. Paid £18 including postage. Hoping it's decent quality, but not a huge amount of money wasted if it's shite. Hopefully arrives for a *whisper it* playoff run!

I bought a Yankees and a Blue Jays 'Sunday' red jersey form 'abroad' a few years ago and no problems with quality..

Still washing well

On 25/08/2022 at 09:53, placidcasual said:

Can see the Braves catching the Mets now. Mets haven't done much wrong but the Braves have been absolutely relentless the last month or two. A wildcard is more or less a lock for the NL East runner up anyway.

Only took them a fortnight. The Braves have been the best team in baseball imo after their abysmal first month or so.

I’m going to the Yankees vs Red Sox next weekend at Yankee Stadium. I know very little about baseball. Any tips for what to do/not to do at the game and players to look out for would be much appreciated.

Edited by Reid

6 minutes ago, Reid said:

I’m going to the Yankees vs Red Sox next weekend at Yankee Stadium. I know very little about baseball. Any tips for what to do/not to do at the game and players to look out for would be much appreciated.

Aaron Judge of the Yankees is leading MLB in home runs. Giancarlo Stanton is very good but has injury problems although he is fit just now, Gerrit Cole is their best pitcher but starting pitchers pitch every 5 days so don't know if you will see him (he is pitching tonight)

Boston are struggling this season, Xander Bogaerts and Rafael Devers are their main players

1 hour ago, Reid said:

Yes, shout for the Red Sox and boo absolutely anything anyone in a Yankees uniform does. 

That's about it really.

• 2 weeks later...

The Mariners haven't lost a game that I've had on the TV all year. It's therefore exceptionally unfortunate that most of their games are on while I'm asleep.

A win last night and still holding onto the Wild Card spot. Need a better run of form than the 2-5 run over the last seven games though.