Texas

MSU

Spring Break over here so me and the fam are off State Collecting again, driving down through Arkansas into Texas and coming back through Oklahoma. We're going to be based outside of Waco for four nights, so pretty much in the middle of the Austin / Dallas / Houston triangle. Any recommendations for things to see, places to eat etc in that area?

Theres a really good pizza place in Austin called Home slice pizza. Its right across the road from a pretty good mexican place too.
If you’re going to do bbq dont wait 4 hours for Franklin, go to La Barbecue its just as good and not as big a line.
For something different for breakfast Gourdoughs donuts are pretty good, they have a place beside their pitch that has a taco truck that does good breakfast tacos!
We enjoyed the presidential library in texas.
South congress is a nice street to walk down.
We went to round rock express for a baseball game, cheap, great night out and they have loads of fun fare type things for kids, stopped off at round rock donuts on way home!

Thanks for the suggestions, folks. We'll definitely be hitting the LBJ Presidential Library -- along with the collecting of states, I also collect dead presidents ... LBJ will be number 16. Other than that, we've got plans for Six Flags, NASA, and the Astros are in town so we'll try to squeeze in a game if the tix aren't too ridiculously expensive. Just picked up our rental car and I've been blessed again with a big b*****d V6 Chevy Impala. Happy days.

Thanks for the suggestions, folks. We'll definitely be hitting the LBJ Presidential Library -- along with the collecting of states, I also collect dead presidents ... LBJ will be number 16. Other than that, we've got plans for Six Flags, NASA, and the Astros are in town so we'll try to squeeze in a game if the tix aren't too ridiculously expensive. Just picked up our rental car and I've been blessed again with a big b*****d V6 Chevy Impala. Happy days.

Its not the biggest library but its got a cracking nod to the civil rights movement etc and the presidential limo is cool to see.
Would love to go to an astros game! Very jealous about the chevy too!

Austin's great.  Anywhere around 6th and Red River, or if you are willing to get an Uber, South Congress on the other side of the lake.  

Lucy's Fried Chicken is awesome if the weather's good.  Big fan of Torchy's Tacos as well, both on South Congress.  Banger's on Rainey is a quintessential Austin experience.

Honestly, though, the city's tiny.  You can pretty much spend a week on 6th Street (head out as far as Hotel Vegas or Scoot Inn for cheap drinks, and no further in the other direction than the aforementioned Driskill - go to the upstairs bar there for an expensive taste of decadence), Red River (all the best dive bars, e.g Stubb's) and Rainey - BBQ and so forth.

Use Showlistaustin for, well, a list of shows in Austin.  

Austin's great.  Anywhere around 6th and Red River, or if you are willing to get an Uber, South Congress on the other side of the lake.  
Lucy's Fried Chicken is awesome if the weather's good.  Big fan of Torchy's Tacos as well, both on South Congress.  Banger's on Rainey is a quintessential Austin experience.
Honestly, though, the city's tiny.  You can pretty much spend a week on 6th Street (head out as far as Hotel Vegas or Scoot Inn for cheap drinks, and no further in the other direction than the aforementioned Driskill - go to the upstairs bar there for an expensive taste of decadence), Red River (all the best dive bars, e.g Stubb's) and Rainey - BBQ and so forth.
Stubbs barbecue also good

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

Aw man I love Torchy's Tacos!

The Texas Hill Country in and around Fredericksburg is nice maybe a bit far from Waco but if you are in that area go to Alamo Springs cafe, its a little diner in the middle of nowhere that sells the best burger I've ever had.

2 hours ago, L. Brilliant said:
2 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Stubbs barbecue also good

If you have a car I would also recommend the Salt Lick, it's about 25 miles outside of Austin and is an excellent BBQ joint, out in the country and you can bring your own beer 

Torchy’s! Yes! Thats the one I meant, across from the pizza place!

What a fucking place Texas is. Utterly mental speed limits — 75 on a single carriage way with no barrier, 80 on some stretches of interstate. Traffic from hell. Incredible food. And some of the friendliest people I’ve ever met.

We didn’t make the Astros but went to a minor league game in Round Rock. Standing in line at the box office and this stranger behind me asked him many were in my party and then proceeded to give me four comp tickets, saving me around $100. 

Bit of a downside though when someone (me) forgot to check something (the season opening times) for somewhere (Six Flags) and only discovered something (that the fucking park wasn’t open) when we got to the gate. So we went and did the tour at the AT&T Stadium instead, which was incredible. Aside from seeing the cheerleaders and players changing rooms and the press room, you were allowed to buy a ball and throw it around on the field for as long as you liked. Kids were high for the rest of the day after that and anytime I see a Cowboys home game on the telly, I’ll happily tell anyone who cares to listen that I farted while standing on the star on the 50 yard line. It was a beauty. 

What a fucking place Texas is. Utterly mental speed limits — 75 on a single carriage way with no barrier, 80 on some stretches of interstate. Traffic from hell. Incredible food. And some of the friendliest people I’ve ever met.
We didn’t make the Astros but went to a minor league game in Round Rock. Standing in line at the box office and this stranger behind me asked him many were in my party and then proceeded to give me four comp tickets, saving me around $100. 
Bit of a downside though when someone (me) forgot to check something (the season opening times) for somewhere (Six Flags) and only discovered something (that the fucking park wasn’t open) when we got to the gate. So we went and did the tour at the AT&T Stadium instead, which was incredible. Aside from seeing the cheerleaders and players changing rooms and the press room, you were allowed to buy a ball and throw it around on the field for as long as you liked. Kids were high for the rest of the day after that and anytime I see a Cowboys home game on the telly, I’ll happily tell anyone who cares to listen that I farted while standing on the star on the 50 yard line. It was a beauty. 

Glad you liked RRE, definitely my favourite minor league experience.

If you like steak try this place.

http://www.avebrazil.com/

I think it was less than $20 and you get as much steak and meat as you want.

They put out tokens and if you leave green side up they keep carving huge lumps of steak onto your plate. Probably had about five steaks worth, chicken and pork for that. Utterly mental how cheap and good the food is there. Good luck finding a vegetable based meal.

Houston was supposedly dodgy after dark but we went about with no hassle, also check out the galleria mall. We went to the basketball, was a decent experience and not too expensive.

1 hour ago, D.A.F.C said:

If you like steak try this place.

http://www.avebrazil.com/

I think it was less than $20 and you get as much steak and meat as you want.

They put out tokens and if you leave green side up they keep carving huge lumps of steak onto your plate. Probably had about five steaks worth, chicken and pork for that. Utterly mental how cheap and good the food is there. Good luck finding a vegetable based meal.

Houston was supposedly dodgy after dark but we went about with no hassle, also check out the galleria mall. We went to the basketball, was a decent experience and not too expensive.

We went to one of these places, but it was in Missouri on the way home. Hadn't been to a Brazilian Grill before but, aye, it was cracking. All those different cuts of steak, sausage, fish, chicken. We definitely got our money's worth.

Archived