Hoppy vrs Duffy - Sat 7th April

You are only saying that because you need some dross to go up with you in order to give you some  chance of not coming down again straightaway. 

Nothing you need to be worrying about

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was as vital a win as we’ll get all season. We desperately needed that after the defeat midweek, and at 2-2 I thought we’d made a meal of it and I would’ve taken a draw at that point. Pleasing to see us dig deep again and get something late on.

Incredible that it was previously nearly a decade since we last beat Morton at home - nice to see that unwanted record gone. :D

58 minutes ago, Monkey socks said:

Although he was not having one of his better games , as soon as Harkins went off, Mortons  shape went with him. Said to the boys around me 3 points in the bag.

Yeah but they still scored after he was subbed, I thought Hardie going off was what swung it for Morton getting their goal, Cadden lost the ball over on the wing that resulted in their corner and goal. Frizzell coming on swung it back in our favour though, he gave us energy and drive to get back on the front foot and helped push on for our winner.

I think over the piece we deserved it, Gaston made 3 cracking saves as well as Halkett hitting the post,  he def had more to do with shots on target than Alexander. All 5 goals came from set pieces though so not too good defensively for either team.

Lithgow the hero for us, his throw in setting up our first and two headers from corners for the other 2, he's having some season.

That win means we only need 1 point to confirm a play off spot and will go a long way to securing 2nd. With 3 of our last 4 games being against St Mirren, Inverness, and Dundee United I think it was important to get the win today, delighted we did.

Like others have said I thought we were about to get a penalty when Thompson was clipped in the box, ref looked like he hesitated before not giving it so he's obviously thought about it, if he ends up being right then he deserves a good bit of credit but I'd need to see it in the highlights. I'm usually more than happy to watch us defend set pieces but Morton troubled us and made our defending look poor at the corners. Gaston made some really good saves to keep it at 1-1 going into HT and in the second half too.

Was surprised to see Hardie coming off, especially to be replaced by Cadden, not sure if he was told to play up front or on the wing, looked like we ended the game with two left wingers with both him and Longridge out there. When it went to 2-2 I wasn't sure we'd get anything more than a draw with Morton pressing forward and Hardie on the bench but I should know by now not to doubt this Livi team.

Still in the title race, I think we can win it tbh.

Just now, Afro said:

That was as vital a win as we’ll get all season. We desperately needed that after the defeat midweek, and at 2-2 I thought we’d made a meal of it and I would’ve taken a draw at that point. Pleasing to see us dig deep again and get something late on.

Incredible that it was previously nearly a decade since we last beat Morton at home - nice to see that unwanted record gone. :D

Yeah was gutting being pegged back to 2-2, we were looking comfortable till Hardie went off then looked like we'd be lucky to hold onto a draw. Frizzell changed it back in our favour again though and I could see our goal coming. It was a much needed win to keep the gap at 6 points.

4 minutes ago, Afro said:

Reminder of the last game as it was so good.

Yeah was gutting being pegged back to 2-2, we were looking comfortable till Hardie went off then looked like we'd be lucky to hold onto a draw. Frizzell changed it back in our favour again though and I could see our goal coming. It was a much needed win to keep the gap at 6 points.

Aye, not sure if Cadden is the de-facto third choice striker now but he seemed to keep wise most of the time; it was his relative inexperience that led to the second Morton goal and Miller looked isolated at that point. I thought Frizzell was a waste out right on Tuesday given his one-footedness, but he really drove us on today in a freer role.

Reminder of the last game as it was so good.

I remember that goal being a screamer in real life at the time, and I’m glad that time hasn’t changed that. :lol:

Thinks it’s incredibly harsh to be blaming Cadden for the 2nd goal, he came on and was extremely isolated whenever he got the ball, couldn’t believe the stick he was getting, fans are so fickle. 

Yes he gave the ball away which resulted in the corner but we have to defend the corner better. 

Hardie going off didn’t surprise me that much tbh, although I think it was about 10 minutes too early, he’s played a lot of football recently including two games in 24hrs, think Robinson would’ve made more sense though.  

It was more Hardie going off than Cadden coming on, although Cadden got caught on the ball trying to dribble his way out of trouble and put us under pressure from the set piece, where all the goals were coming from. Really thought Longridge would've made more sense for Cadden replacing, we were needing someone on that wing and Jacko hadn't been playing on the wing anyway, and had just been booked.

Nope, the stick Cadden was getting was utterly ridiculous in the section I was in, couldnt believe my ears, even heard one shout of “get him off” Cadden lost the ball in the opposition half of the park, him losing the ball is not the reason we lost the 2nd goal it was the poor defending at the back post from a corner. 

As you mentioned Jacko I have to say he’s really stepped up his game the last few weeks, today again I thought he was excellent, capping it of with a goal.

Nicky Cadden is far better when the ball is played in front of him and he could run onto it; unfortunately whoever was performing as the right wing-back for Morton made sure he wasn't able to exploit that.

As a result the ball was often passed to him rather than in front which meant that he had to turn and track back. Nicky may be a powerful and explosive winger but he's certainly not a wing-back.

I was particularly pleased to see Harkins being substituted; he may not have been having one of his best games for Morton but he was still a thorn in our side; that being said the guys that came on injected some much needed energy into the Morton attack.

Thought Frizzell looked pretty good when he came on; certainly offered a lot more than Boyd did although I was disappointed that Robinson didn't start rather than Thompson who, to be honest, wasn't sure how how he got man-of-the-match; he played okay but there were better performers on the pitch?

22 minutes ago, Durnford said:

Thompson who, to be honest, wasn't sure how how he got man-of-the-match

2 minutes ago, Livilion28 said:

Thompson was ok but no where near motm

I was surprised at that as well, think they must have pulled the name from a hat. Lithgow had to be MotM really, took the long throw for the first goal and scored the other two.

4 hours ago, IainMorton said:

Tiffoney is far from garbage, he has proved that with some important goals this season. Still a young player who has a lot to learn.

He's not good enough to be consistently starting in the team.

Just now, andylivi1 said:

Nope, the stick Cadden was getting was utterly ridiculous in the section I was in, couldnt believe my ears, even heard one shout of “get him off” Cadden lost the ball in the opposition half of the park, him losing the ball is not the reason we lost the 2nd goal it was the poor defending at the back post from a corner. 

As you mentioned Jacko I have to say he’s really stepped up his game the last few weeks, today again I thought he was excellent, capping it of with a goal.

Really? I  thought he was poor, kept cutting inside and just wouldn't go wide for us to hit the byeline, lazy tackle for his booking too, in a dangerous position, thankfully they pissed about trying to walk it into the net instead of having a shot. 

You can blame our poor defending on the goal but Cadden still shouldn't have lost possession to put us in that position, maybe Dec missing didn't help defending set pieces too, very unlike us to be so poor at set pieces. Although we made up for it the other end scoring from 3.

1 minute ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Really? I  thought he was poor, kept cutting inside and just wouldn't go wide for us to hit the byeline, lazy tackle for his booking too, in a dangerous position, thankfully they pissed about trying to walk it into the net instead of having a shot. 

You can blame our poor defending on the goal but Cadden still shouldn't have lost possession to put us in that position, maybe Dec missing didn't help defending set pieces too, very unlike us to be so poor at set pieces. Although we made up for it the other end scoring from 3.

Longridge gets unfair criticism for me, was our man of the match at Dumbarton, was solid on Tuesday and again I thought he was solid today. 

I just can’t see how Cadden losing the ball in the opposition half is the reason we lost the goal, there was at least 5 players behind him when he lost the ball, we conceded a corner, so we defended that incident of him losing the ball well, from the resulting corner we conceded which was entirely due to the poor marking. 

Agree about Gallagher though, we looked unusually uncomfortable from set pieces today, Gallagher will hopefully be back next week. 

Because him losing it put us on the back foot to concede the corner, anyway, as I originally said, it was Hardie going off that changed the momentum of the game at a time when we looked more likely to get a 3rd goal than them coming back to equalise.

On a more positive note, I liked the look of Frizzell, he's quite small looking but by feck he gets stuck in and drives forward, he looks a cracking signing by Hoppy as we head into the play offs.

You are only saying that because you need some dross to go up with you in order to give you some  chance of not coming down again straightaway. 
Are you referring to your rabble (copyright virgin) or Livi?[emoji1]

41 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

He's not good enough to be consistently starting in the team.

Fair enough but for people to dismiss him as shite so early in his career is unfair on the boy. We can see he has talent but he should be slowly drafted into the first team, not playing every week as you say.

No wonder some kids never make it in the game when people are getting on their backs before their first team career has even started.

Archived