Martin Canning's Hamilton FC vs Sir Steve Clarke's Kilmarnock FC

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

The defending is even worse on sportscene. Tomas somehow left marking 2 men at the free kick. McMann left against 2 men on the right for the second. Pathetic stuff.

I paused it just before Power's pass for the second. Not one of them was taking up an effective positon. All three available passing options were easily achievable. They were confused as to whether they should try and stay compact with Killie driving at them, or to close down. In the end, they did neither.

Want covers for Ferguson and MacKinnon being caught far too high up. Fine. However, no one fills in for Want which leaves Tomas stretched between picking up Brophy (I think) at the back post and Boyd at the near, resulting in him being unable to get tight to Boyd until it's too late. Van Der Weg tries to play offside - which I think was ultimately correct - but Tomas thought otherwise. If they were on the same page and decided to step out, Boyd's offside. If they stay deep, Van Der Weg clears the ball. 

While the players should show a bit of initiative, it should be drilled into them by Canning when they should or shouldn't play offside, and what they should be doing when others are caught out of position. 

Archived