Disgrace of Scottish TV rights

4 minutes ago, sjc said:

English football has always had a good Worldwide following particularly in the ex colonies. Manchester Utd and Liverpool in particular.

Has Billy started doing this in Christies?

Christies has changed name, not been in since it was done up tbf. Been doing a tour of Scotland instead.

Edit: the Foundry and Sandeman do it though.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you go into pubs in Scotland who have several tvs, you'll likely find that  when English/Scottish games clash the Scottish games are usually on the smaller screens or that tv in the corner. Sad state of affairs.

Given that Scottish Football on TV in the pub is usually Rangers or Celtic away there may be more interest in it in pubs through in the West where more people are interested in those two titans of the world game

14 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Christies has changed name, not been in since it was done up tbf. Been doing a tour of Scotland instead.

Does Billy still have the place? Always had good beers on tap although it was a bit of a sausage fest in there.

7 hours ago, sjc said:

Good post. it'll change though, the "top 6" in England are apparently after a greater share of the overseas rights money using the well used line of "nobody wants to see "insert bottom 14 club*" v "*insert bottom 14 club*"!

I'd actually argue proper fans would watch competitive matches regardless of the teams or league they play in than a weekly procession we see in the leagues you mentioned.

E.G : I'd watch Napoli's remaining games against whoever in the hope they can topple Juventus for the Scudetto.

If you go on topcat's newcastle evening chronicle article above about viewing figures, there's a link on the page to another article about Newcastle being against the top six trying to gain a bigger share of the overseas tv money.

It says it was agreed to be split equally when the EPL started 25 years ago as the amount was negligible, but recently it was £39m per club!  They see it as the biggest growth area.  That tells you everything you need to know about football these days. Everyone is doing great out of the deal, it's going to get more and more, yet the big clubs aren't interested in how much they get, they just want to make sure  they get more than the rest to minimise the chances of other clubs breaking into their dominance over champions league money.

One point of interest in the article is the EPL have a voting structure which requires a two thirds majority. If only!

Agree about Napoli, be great if they can end Juventus' dominance. 

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

If you go on topcat's newcastle evening chronicle article above about viewing figures, there's a link on the page to another article about Newcastle being against the top six trying to gain a bigger share of the overseas tv money.

It says it was agreed to be split equally when the EPL started 25 years ago as the amount was negligible, but recently it was £39m per club!  They see it as the biggest growth area.  That tells you everything you need to know about football these days. Everyone is doing great out of the deal, it's going to get more and more, yet the big clubs aren't interested in how much they get, they just want to make sure  they get more than the rest to minimise the chances of other clubs breaking into their dominance over champions league money.

One point of interest in the article is the EPL have a voting structure which requires a two thirds majority. If only!

Agree about Napoli, be great if they can end Juventus' dominance. 

I hope they (the bottom 14 Clubs) stick to their guns and aren't hoodwinked into believing the shite like the Old Firm have peddled to us about leaving for pastures new if they don't get their way!

I'm firmly of the belief that the bubble will burst as we saw with Italian football after its heyday of the late 80s and 90s which has led some on here to accuse me of being an AMF (against modern football)...........I'm not, I like many of the improvements the modern game has brought which were desperately required but its also brought many new negatives too.

Classic example being the Bosman ruling:

+Stopped players being held ransom by their registration at the end of their contract.

+The talent (the players) started to earn their worth as opposed to the Clubs/Chairmen.

-Balance of wages has now swung ridiculously the other way.

-Amount of money that heads out of the game via Agents.

I could list the +/- impact for other aspects of the game from modern stadia to the changing of the foreign player restrictions. all of which now seem to favour the few Elite Clubs more than anyone else.

21 hours ago, professor challenger said:

We stay in a country where actual match attendance per head of population is the highest in the world.

We stay in the only country in the developed world which has to watch match highlights from a foreign country on matchday whilst the highlights from our own top league are shown as an afterthought late in the night on the following day.    When our matches are shown live they are at a time selected solely to accommodate scheduling with absolutely no thought given to supporters.

I'd tell them to shove their TV deals until they come back with serious offers.

Hi Prof. I love that stat but where did it come from?

I'm sorry to appear like a pedantic p***k and I don't want to give the OP a hard time but I think you've hit on something he's missed - broadcasting deals in the UK aren't primarily for a UK audience. (Maybe there are stats.) I live in the Middle East and the appetite for the EPL is huge - and it gets bigger the farther east you go. I think this is where the imbalance comes from. 

In Scotland, I think there needs to be a fairer division of what's already on the table and, granted, it ain't much. When the league sells rights to China for a fee that wouldn't keep Lionel Messi interested for more that three weeks you have to think there must be something better.

Next weekend for me goes some way to explaining the problem.

Massive game at Pittodrie which would interest people from Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Glasgow.

What treat do sky sports have for us instead?

Dundee v Hamilton and Hearts v Celtic.

Both Dundee and Hamilton are unlikely to go down and I really don't need to explain why the other game doesn't matter.

Would this issue happen in the all singing all dancing EPL?

Live games to come

Partick v Ross C Fri 4th 7.45 BT

Dundee v Hamilton Sat 5th 12.30 Sky

Hearts v Celtic Sun 6th 12.15 BT

Aberdeen v Rangers Tue 8th 7.45 Sky

Hearts v Hibs Wed 9th 7.45 BT

Aberdeen v Celtic  Sun 13th  12.30 Sky

Hibs v Rangers Sun 13th 12.30 BT

3 hours ago, Gaz FFC said:

Live games to come

Partick v Ross C Fri 4th 7.45 BT

Dundee v Hamilton Sat 5th 12.30 Sky

Hearts v Celtic Sun 6th 12.15 BT

Aberdeen v Rangers Tue 8th 7.45 Sky

Hearts v Hibs Wed 9th 7.45 BT

Aberdeen v Celtic  Sun 13th  12.30 Sky

Isnt the Hibs vs Rangers game on Sunday 13th 12:30 on BT Sport?

Massive game at Pittodrie which would interest people from Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Glasgow.
Both Dundee and Hamilton are unlikely to go down and I really don't need to explain why the other game doesn't matter.

You’re forgetting Partick vs Ross County on Friday night which is probably the biggest game on the card in terms of what it means for the clubs involved and if Partick win that then Dundee vs Hamilton is going to be played for considerably higher stakes

1 hour ago, Lebowski said:

Replacing the approximately 300m in TV licence fees from Scotland with either funding from general taxation or a replacement?

Channel 5 has income of around £385m

They just about about manage a highlight show of English lower league football  but are not renewing it after this season because of poor viewing figures (around half a million)

SBC spending something like 10% of its entire budget on football rights, never mind production costs, would be folly on the scale of Sevco (unless you're just talking about replacing the BBC highlights rather than the whole shebang in which case it would still be a pittance)

9 hours ago, Gaz FFC said:

According to wikipedia only 6 games can be broadcast from one ground per season (4 for Celtic/Rangers) - Aberdeen already had 4 shown on TV pre-split, so Aberdeen v Hearts and then Aberdeen v Rangers is the maximum that can be shown.

Sky are paying World Wrestling Entertainment US $33 million (currently just under £24M) this year for context on how bad the Scottish football deal is. WWE’s main programme, Raw, is shown at the same time as in America on Sky, being 1-4am on Tuesday mornings. (Details on their Sky deal are freely available in their accounts)

5 hours ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Same place it does now you clown except all of it would be spent in Scotland.  

I'm a clown? Explain how this newly formed broadcaster, with conflicting priorities in providing programmes for all, will find the money to outbid sky or BT on a  reduced income?

Archived