The Clyde FC 2018-19 Thread

1 hour ago, The Spider said:

I'm not suggesting that there wouldn't be an initial hiatus of adverse publicity Karpaty, but I'm a believer in the "time heals wounds" aspect, and I think it's sufficiently in the past and because it's a signing from another club (remember that Clyde effectively took him from the wilderness) that would make it feasible. As for the six figure aspect, well you always set your stall out for what you want but in all honesty do you believe that you wouldn't take a £60k offer + add-ons once appearance targets were met (perhaps with a loan-back option if they weren't)?

I agree with all of this, but it's the classic lower league club dilemma isn't it?  I reckon the determining factors if a less than six figure sum came in would be how sound your current financial base was, combined with how loudly Lennon and the support would voice their protestations. Another way of looking at it might be, if you were guaranteed promotion this season but then were to lose him for nothing in a couple of years and were to plummet quickly to the bottom half of League 2 v the option that the money would provide secure foundations for the club to build a stronger base for a sustained stay in League 1, would you choose the "well, we always had Paris" option or look at the longer term picture?

Given that we basically have a weekly corner in a Sunday newspaper running the same patter every week for employing him, there’s little doubt in my mind it would be more mainstream. Not just at the start; the abuse he’ll get week in week out at grounds will keep it current. 

As for the price, if Goodwillie can fire us up this season then that for me is worth whatever transfer fee he would garner now. Otherwise what’s the point in having him (or any other sellable asset) if we’re going to place money over domestic success Would be a pointless existence. 

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Karpaty said:

Given that we basically have a weekly corner in a Sunday newspaper running the same patter every week for employing him,

fair enough - genuinely wasn't aware of that as haven't bought or even read a Sunday paper in over 10 years now (other than the "Scottish Football Gossip" links on BBC Scotland which mildly amuse me)

Not only is it 6 figures, cash up front - no ifs, buts, maybes, but an additional condition should be added

Shit or get off the pot by 16th August so we've at least two weeks to find an adequate replacement

Serious enquiries only please. Don't suggest tryin the old 'they'll accept a lot less on deadline day'.....doubt it ;)

7 hours ago, BroadwoodBoy said:

Goodwillie feels valued with us but ultimately money talks. Don’t underestimate how much we’ve done for him on a personal level & positive influence we’ve had on his life. I reckon he’ll stay but will still not relax until the window closes. 

Unless mega wages are thrown at him will it be worth struggling at bottom of the league & no doubt victim of abuse on a much larger scale? Time will tell.

All I know is that from the minute he signed for us the lad has been brilliant. The papers can write what they want but the fact he always makes time to speak with supporters young and old, he attended a supporter clubs POTY (he didn’t have to!) & has behaved impeccably I thank him. A lot of respect to him.

Respect to him, really? 

Goodwillie feels valued with us but ultimately money talks. Don’t underestimate how much we’ve done for him on a personal level & positive influence we’ve had on his life. I reckon he’ll stay but will still not relax until the window closes. 
Unless mega wages are thrown at him will it be worth struggling at bottom of the league & no doubt victim of abuse on a much larger scale? Time will tell.
All I know is that from the minute he signed for us the lad has been brilliant. The papers can write what they want but the fact he always makes time to speak with supporters young and old, he attended a supporter clubs POTY (he didn’t have to!) & has behaved impeccably I thank him. A lot of respect to him.

Respecting a convicted rapist.....says a lot about you and your club, totally lacking in any form of decency. Alan lithgow all over again. Horrible club horrible fans.

Boy deserves every bit of abuse he gets. Hopefully one day some big hero of a defender kneecaps him and ends his career. Or even better his neck [emoji106]

4 minutes ago, Yur maw punts cooncil said:

Respecting a convicted rapist.....says a lot about you and your club, totally lacking in any form of decency. Alan lithgow all over again. Horrible club horrible fans.

Boy deserves every bit of abuse he gets. Hopefully one day some big hero of a defender kneecaps him and ends his career. Or even better his neck emoji106.png

Kneecaps his neck?

Think you should lay off  "le soup electrique"  before you post.

Methil :whistle

Given Hopkirks unexplained absence we basically don’t have any other strikers and would not be able to find a replacement of anywhere near the same quality, in particular to play lone striker effectively. Our whole system is set up to suit Goodwillie. If he leaves it really will be the difference between a title challenge or not.

17 hours ago, The Spider said:

agree with all of this, but it's the classic lower league club dilemma isn't it?  I reckon the determining factors if a less than six figure sum came in would be how sound your current financial base was, combined with how loudly Lennon and the support would voice their protestations. Another way of looking at it might be, if you were guaranteed promotion this season but then were to lose him for nothing in a couple of years and were to plummet quickly to the bottom half of League 2 v the option that the money would provide secure foundations for the club to build a stronger base for a sustained stay in League 1, would you choose the "well, we always had Paris" option or look at the longer term picture?

Largely i would say it would need to depend on the circumstances. Can we get replacements in the time left in the transfer window and without wasting the funds we received for selling him. If we sell him, how are our chances of getting promoted diminished. What are the financial implications of promotion in terms of increased crowds etc and what is the difference between the amount we would get for selling him and funding replacements. Clearly, this would be up to the board to look at and decide but for me personally i think the chances of promotion take a serious hit without him and i'm not convinced we could get the replacements needed. If we were then to lose Lennon then our chances of promotion any time soon might well end too so i would say, keep him and hope things go well.

Given Hopkirks unexplained absence we basically don’t have any other strikers and would not be able to find a replacement of anywhere near the same quality, in particular to play lone striker effectively. Our whole system is set up to suit Goodwillie. If he leaves it really will be the difference between a title challenge or not.
We Should hear in due course about hopkirk i am expecting/would assume

Regardless of whether DH stays or not it would be madness to sell goodwillie for anythn less than the money we receive to win league(67k)

Chairman correct in asking for 100k for potential monies we may miss out on come may and some & refreshing we have Norrie who lets be honest is no one's fool

31 minutes ago, shawfield shed boy said:

it would be madness to sell goodwillie for anythn less than the money we receive to win league(67k)

Can see where you're coming from ssb, but if that's your preferred measurement then I'm not convinced it's the right one as surely it's the difference between the £67k and the money you would get for finishing lower in the league that would represent your actual financial loss?

Boy deserves every bit of abuse he gets. Hopefully one day some big hero of a defender kneecaps him and ends his career. Or even better his neck [emoji106]

Jog on knobby [emoji112]

What a tube you are. [emoji241]

Still find it hard to believe anyone would pay money to take him with the scrutiny that would come with it. 
Football is probably the only job where criminality or being a bit of a c**t is excused if you're good enough. Terry and Barton were always in demand.

Football is probably the only job where criminality or being a bit of a c**t is excused if you're good enough. Terry and Barton were always in demand.

What about being a professional burglar, hit man or QP supporter?

Archived