The Clyde FC 2018-19 Thread

Delighted as I am to see this, I just hope that isn't the catalyst to the bid I heard about on Monday (unsubstantiated - Premiership league team nearby)

You mean like the Livingston bid[emoji23]
You honestly think two goals against stranraer is going to swing a near 6 figure transfer fee Think you need to take a sleep in a darkened room

I hope not...but neither you nor me know the deal he has regarding bids nor the scale of the supposed bid. And anyway the process started after a pre season game, tonight would only strengthen the reasoning.
Think the chairman made it clear he wouldn't go on the cheap , but seeing as we are winning why not try and put a downer on it [emoji122]

I hope not...but neither you nor me know the deal he has regarding bids nor the scale of the supposed bid. And anyway the process started after a pre season game, tonight would only strengthen the reasoning.
So you obviously heard that Hamilton want him so spill the beans in the deal they are going to put in for DGW

1 minute ago, cfcuk said:
11 minutes ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

So you obviously heard that Hamilton want him so spill the beans in the deal they are going to put in for DGW

Anyone but accies

9 minutes ago, cfcuk said:
20 minutes ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

No idea of detail, but message did not come from Clyde. Time will tell. Hopefully a bag of s**t

Cracking result looked at team didn't expect that, but that is why I ain't a football manager [emoji16]
Great to see DGW open his account, might even go on Saturday now ( having said I wasn't) fickle

I'd like to take all the plaudits for our win tonight. After planning all week to go to the game, I changed my mind this afternoon, went home and placed a bet on Stranraer to win. A big win was always on the cards after that.

I have to say well done guys, that's some great result for the bully wee tonight!

To go away to a team from a higher league, who had been playing well and destroy them early on is impressive. fair play.

16 hours ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

Delighted as I am to see this, I just hope that isn't the catalyst to the bid I heard about on Monday (unsubstantiated - Premiership league team nearby)

For once I'm not on the wind-up, and if you value the player more than the potential income, then I'd be more concerned by this " St Mirren manager Alan Stubbs admits signing a striker is "paramount" after they drew a blank in their League Cup meeting with Queen's Park. "

Watching last night's game, I don't think I've ever seen a more inept front line from a Premier League club, and now that Clyde have absorbed the worst of the heat as far as the associated baggage is concerned, I can't think of many other strikers up here that would be within St. Mirren's price range. Were it to happen with them (or Hamilton), I guess the question would be "how much of the fee would go to Lennon, and would he able to source a suitable replacement?"

14 minutes ago, The Spider said:

For once I'm not on the wind-up, and if you value the player more than the potential income, then I'd be more concerned by this " St Mirren manager Alan Stubbs admits signing a striker is "paramount" after they drew a blank in their League Cup meeting with Queen's Park. "

Watching last night's game, I don't think I've ever seen a more inept front line from a Premier League club, and now that Clyde have absorbed the worst of the heat as far as the associated baggage is concerned, I can't think of many other strikers up here that would be within St. Mirren's price range. Were it to happen with them (or Hamilton), I guess the question would be "how much of the fee would go to Lennon, and would he able to source a suitable replacement?"

Chairman has already said six figures or GTF, can either St.Mirren or Hamilton afford that?

And I’m not buying the “we’ve took the brunt of the press” stuff. If s Premier League club signed him he, and the club, would get absolutely crucified. Then there’s sponsors of the club and fan resentment to answer to. 

27 minutes ago, The Spider said:

I think the point about finding a suitable replacement is the key issue here. It is clear that we are still looking to get someone to play up front with him so effectively we would then be looking for two strikers, neither of which are likely to be anywhere near as good as Goodwillie. Given this might be our best chance of pushing for promotion with our management team, squad and backing from various sources I personally think it wouldn't be worth it. Obviously the counter argument is that the funds would give us a better chance of getting some more players but i doubt most teams are going to be willing to part with their best strikers before the season even starts.

Worrying that Stewart is out for Saturday, not confident of a make shift left back going up against Cadden. I'd play Cuddihy at left back (since he's had a few games at RB) and Duffie back out right. Need McNiff and Cogill in the middle of the defence to deal with Sammon and Main I reckon

57 minutes ago, Karpaty said:

And I’m not buying the “we’ve took the brunt of the press” stuff. If s Premier League club signed him he, and the club, would get absolutely crucified. Then there’s sponsors of the club and fan resentment to answer to. 

I'm not suggesting that there wouldn't be an initial hiatus of adverse publicity Karpaty, but I'm a believer in the "time heals wounds" aspect, and I think it's sufficiently in the past and because it's a signing from another club (remember that Clyde effectively took him from the wilderness) that would make it feasible. As for the six figure aspect, well you always set your stall out for what you want but in all honesty do you believe that you wouldn't take a £60k offer + add-ons once appearance targets were met (perhaps with a loan-back option if they weren't)?

46 minutes ago, scot-gcar709 said:

I think the point about finding a suitable replacement is the key issue here. It is clear that we are still looking to get someone to play up front with him so effectively we would then be looking for two strikers, neither of which are likely to be anywhere near as good as Goodwillie. Given this might be our best chance of pushing for promotion with our management team, squad and backing from various sources I personally think it wouldn't be worth it. Obviously the counter argument is that the funds would give us a better chance of getting some more players but I doubt most teams are going to be willing to part with their best strikers before the season even starts.

I agree with all of this, but it's the classic lower league club dilemma isn't it?  I reckon the determining factors if a less than six figure sum came in would be how sound your current financial base was, combined with how loudly Lennon and the support would voice their protestations. Another way of looking at it might be, if you were guaranteed promotion this season but then were to lose him for nothing in a couple of years and were to plummet quickly to the bottom half of League 2 v the option that the money would provide secure foundations for the club to build a stronger base for a sustained stay in League 1, would you choose the "well, we always had Paris" option or look at the longer term picture?

Goodwillie feels valued with us but ultimately money talks. Don’t underestimate how much we’ve done for him on a personal level & positive influence we’ve had on his life. I reckon he’ll stay but will still not relax until the window closes. 

Unless mega wages are thrown at him will it be worth struggling at bottom of the league & no doubt victim of abuse on a much larger scale? Time will tell.

All I know is that from the minute he signed for us the lad has been brilliant. The papers can write what they want but the fact he always makes time to speak with supporters young and old, he attended a supporter clubs POTY (he didn’t have to!) & has behaved impeccably I thank him. A lot of respect to him.