Elgin City 2018/19

50 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Said this on the other thread, but if you hadn’t stood by him when he got injured playing for you it would’ve been incredibly poor. He signed the last contract under the old manager. Maybe he’s seen you are planning on playing Craig Beattie centre half and decided to bolt.

I take it you've not actually seen Craig Beattie play at centre half with your own eyes then? Because he was excellent when I saw him against us and by all accounts from Edinburgh fans on here, they are of a similar opinion. 

On your point about standing by him, there are different ways to stand by a player in a situation like this, even just a one year contract would have sufficied in doing that but what but we're talking about offering a part time player with a serious injury a 2 year deal, arranging employment in the real world and paying for his surgery and rehabilitation, all things I'd consider beyond the duty of your average part time club. There's been a lot of hours and investment put into him, why wouldn't the club be anything but disappointed that he's throwing it back in their face by playing silly games and displaying unprofessional behaviour? Our current manager was part of the old management team and regarded by many as the real brains behind the duo, so the change management stuff doesn't cut it, it's 100% about money, otherwise he would have agreed a contract with Stirling rather than turning them down because they couldn't match his wage demands, it's not difficult to work out, if it was about anything other than money, he'd be a Stirling Albion player right now.

Edited by MorayCup

I take it you've not actually seen Craig Beattie play at centre half with your own eyes then? Because he was excellent when I saw him against us and by all accounts from Edinburgh fans on here, they are of a similar opinion. 

On your point about standing by him, there are different ways to stand by a player in a situation like this, even just a one year contract would have sufficied in doing that but what but we're talking about offering a part time player with a serious injury a 2 year deal, arranging employment in the real world and paying for his surgery and rehabilitation, all things I'd consider beyond the duty of your average part time club. There's been a lot of hours and investment put into him, why wouldn't the club be anything but disappointed that he's throwing it back in their face by playing silly games and displaying unprofessional behaviour? Our current manager was part of the old management team and regarded by many as the real brains behind the duo, so the change management stuff doesn't cut it, it's 100% about money, otherwise he would have agreed a contract with Stirling rather than turning them down because they couldn't match his wage demands, it's not difficult to work out, if it was about anything other than money, he'd be a Stirling Albion player right now.

Every Sunday I try and watch every lower league clubs highlights, I’ve seen plenty of him. The game at Ochilview I think a particular highlight. [emoji23]

And the only thing you’ve done there that’s above and beyond is help him get employment away from football. We done the same for one of our players last season, a guy that spent most of the season injured and warming the bench before leaving last month, it’s a really good thing for the club to do but it happens all the time. Dunbarton have done that for a good chunk of their team by the sound of it with their links to C and G. I’m guessing the employment was probably McDonald and Munro??? Stuff is standard.

Paying for his operation etc should just be part and parcel of being a football club. Afterall the guys been injured whilst playing for you. We done the same for Doris last season too, infact it was the same injury I’m sure. If he decided to move on in the summer nobody would’ve held it against him.

And maybe he just wants to play at a higher level or in a better team and actually try and achieve something this year. Of course money is a big factor but enjoying your football and winning are too. Can see why he’d want to be at Peterhead over Elgin, would mention and say ourselves too but don’t want to be biased.

37 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Every Sunday I try and watch every lower league clubs highlights, I’ve seen plenty of him. The game at Ochilview I think a particular highlight. emoji23.png

And the only thing you’ve done there that’s above and beyond is help him get employment away from football. We done the same for one of our players last season, a guy that spent most of the season injured and warming the bench before leaving last month, it’s a really good thing for the club to do but it happens all the time. Dunbarton have done that for a good chunk of their team by the sound of it with their links to C and G. I’m guessing the employment was probably McDonald and Munro??? Stuff is standard.

Paying for his operation etc should just be part and parcel of being a football club. Afterall the guys been injured whilst playing for you. We done the same for Doris last season too, infact it was the same injury I’m sure. If he decided to move on in the summer nobody would’ve held it against him.

And maybe he just wants to play at a higher level or in a better team and actually try and achieve something this year. Of course money is a big factor but enjoying your football and winning are too. Can see why he’d want to be at Peterhead over Elgin, would mention and say ourselves too but don’t want to be biased.

Moving on the summer at the end of your contract and forcing a transfer halfway through a contract aren't exactly the same things though, are they? Putting all of his circumstances and history aside, it's very common in football at every single level of the game that when an under contract player behaves in this manner, it irks fans of the club, I don't see how it isn't understandable why Elgin fans are annoyed over this. He signed a 2 year contract and 1 year into it, he's disrupting our pre-season, manager and teammates by acting in an unprofessional manner. The club aren't standing in his way, they accepted a bid that met their valuation and rejected the ones that didn't, but just like with any other club and any other line of business, I think it's more than reasonable to be disappointed in the actions of an employee when they act in this way. Elgin fans and the club's number 1 priority is Elgin City, not what's good for Shane Sutherland's career and that's the way it should be.

Edited by MorayCup

Moving on the summer at the end of your contract and forcing a transfer halfway through a contract aren't exactly the same things though, are they? Putting all of his circumstances and history aside, it's very common in football at every single level of the game that when an under contract player behaves in this manner, it irks fans of the club, I don't see how it isn't understandable why Elgin fans are annoyed over this. He signed a 2 year contract and 1 year into it, he's disrupting our pre-season, manager and teammates by acting in an unprofessional manner. The club aren't standing in his way, they accepted a bid that met their valuation and rejected the ones that didn't, but just like with any other club and any other line of business, I think it's more than reasonable to be disappointed in the actions of an employee when they act in this way. Elgin fans and the club's number 1 priority is Elgin City, not what's good for Shane Sutherland's career and that's the way it should be.

I agree with all of this, I just don’t think the reaction has just been disappointment from supporters.

You’d think he owed his life to you cause you helped him out when he was crocked. The club have been great with him aye but I think if you hadn’t done what you have done with him whilst he was injured then it would’ve been poor from you guys.

15 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

You’d think he owed his life to you cause you helped him out when he was crocked. 

:lol: what? All I see are people expecting a player who signed a contract to honour it instead of act like a spoilt brat at the first sign of another club showing interest, which should be the absolute minimum you expect of a player employed by the club you support. The injury stuff just throws a bit more weight behind the fact he should at the very least be doing this with respect and less publicly because the club have been good to him rather than done anything to unsettle or upset him. I'm sure most Elgin fans would have had the exact same reaction to this whole saga even if there hadn't ever been an injury because the bottom line is, his actions are unprofessional and the timing is far from ideal.

Ive not seen/heard where he has been saying publicly his feelings about it all,as a Cove supporter im intrigued to read all this as we had bids rejected for Sutherland,how does all this info about him being disruptive come out?The Press reports ive seen does not suggest that.

According to P&J we are signing Kane Hester on loan from Arbroath, he turned down similar move to Stranraer. I also heard Kerr Hay ex Montrose has been in for pre season training.

Kane was set to sign for Stranraer, but at the last minute we sorted something out with you lads. He’s a striker and should do well with games, quick and a really good finisher. His overall game aside from that isn’t the greatest. His scoring record in the juniors was phenomenal. After just receiving a five figure fee for Blair Yule I wonder if this is all part of a bigger deal..