The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Hard to believe anyone is still trotting out this nonsense.  Too many Ayr fans at the time thought it being an Ayrshire Derby was some sort of leveller.  Might be hard to accept for some, but Killie were an established premier league team who were stronger than us in every department.  If we’d conceded early that day, we could easily have taken a real hiding.  Reid made sure that didn’t happen.  If we’d been up against anyone other than them, we’d have walked away from Hampden recognising that we’d over achieved massively to get to that stage and that reaching the final was just a step too far in what was a very impressive series of cup results.  
Not having this.

Yes we were a shit-fest team and Killie were much better but you have to have a balance between defence and attack - and we had none.

It wasn't just the wrong balance we had no balance. None. Our total capitulation of the game was utterly embarrassing.

4 minutes ago, Mgc1910 said:

Hard to believe anyone is still trotting out this nonsense.  Too many Ayr fans at the time thought it being an Ayrshire Derby was some sort of leveller.  Might be hard to accept for some, but Killie were an established premier league team who were stronger than us in every department.  If we’d conceded early that day, we could easily have taken a real hiding.  Reid made sure that didn’t happen.  If we’d been up against anyone other than them, we’d have walked away from Hampden recognising that we’d over achieved massively to get to that stage and that reaching the final was just a step too far in what was a very impressive series of cup results.  

To be fair, I can see why he done it as it worked against St.Mirren and Hearts, however in a derby you have to give zero respect. The 2009 derby was brilliant because we had a proper go at it and it made it an end-to-end game. Whenever we beat Killie, it was always from attacking and closing down from the first whistle. 

4 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Time clearly fades the memories.

As good as things may be at the moment to suggest those groups of 3 are in anyway close is hilarious. Not even close I'm afraid, and it'll take something extremely special for that to ever change. 

McCowan's played 591 minutes over 3 seasons and 11 1st team games. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Well, if you read my post you will see that I said,

The front 3 of Hurst, Walker & Teale was simply superb to watch, however I think we're pretty close to it at the moment"

Now, i don't know about you, however I'm thoroughly enjoying watching these three play and can see improvement in their play week on week, especially from Luke who's just getting better and better.

Apart from that they're actually playing at the same level as the aforementioned guys and who knows how far McCowan and Forrest will go in the game.

I'm glad you found it "hilarious" though............

We had lost 3-0 to a woeful Dunfermline team the previous week and had also lost 6-3 at home to Inverness earlier in the season. That Killie team was good, but also had a soft centre at times, but Ayr didn't at any point threaten us. That was the most defensive I think I have ever seen a team set up against us, and I don't think it was the right approach at all.

1 minute ago, pandarilla said:

Not having this.

Yes we were a shit-fest team and Killie were much better but you have to have a balance between defence and attack - and we had none.

It wasn't just the wrong balance we had no balance. None. Our total capitulation of the game was utterly embarrassing.

I can only assume you weren’t actually at the game.  There was no capitulation.  We had a group of players, mainly part timers, who ran themselves into the ground with the game finishing 0-0.  The goal we finally lost in extra time was as much done to our guys being out on their feet as anything else.  We couldn’t score goals at championship level that season, so it didn’t come as a huge surprise that we struggled to offer much against a faster, fitter premier league team on a big open park like Hampden.

23 minutes ago, Mgc1910 said:

I can only assume you weren’t actually at the game.  There was no capitulation.  We had a group of players, mainly part timers, who ran themselves into the ground with the game finishing 0-0.  The goal we finally lost in extra time was as much done to our guys being out on their feet as anything else.  We couldn’t score goals at championship level that season, so it didn’t come as a huge surprise that we struggled to offer much against a faster, fitter premier league team on a big open park like Hampden.

The 1996/97 team were two divisions below when they went to Kilmarnock and won 1-0 at Rugby Park.

The 1997/98 team were fighting relegation and playing the cup holders when they beat Kilmarnock 2-0 at Somerset.

The 1998/99 team were playing a side sitting third (possibly second?) in the Premier League when they beat Kilmarnock 3-0 in Ayr.

The cup semi final odds were not stacked any more against Ayr than in those games. The difference is that we didn't even try to win at Hampden. We just tried to bore our way through to penalties which is only good if it works.

Edited by Iain

1 hour ago, Iain said:

The 1996/97 team were two divisions below when they went to Kilmarnock and won 1-0 at Rugby Park.

The 1997/98 team were fighting relegation and playing the cup holders when they beat Kilmarnock 2-0 at Somerset.

The 1998/99 team were playing a side sitting third (possibly second?) in the Premier League when they beat Kilmarnock 3-0 in Ayr.

The cup semi final odds were not stacked any more against Ayr than in those games. The difference is that we didn't even try to win at Hampden. We just tried to bore our way through to penalties which is only good if it works.

The 96/97 team had seen significant investment and went on to win the league.

The 97/98 team had also seen significant investment, though Dalziel’s incompetence tended to cover that up.  And as you state, the game was at Somerset.  The game should probably have been called off as well due to a pitch that turned the game into s battle.

The 98/99 team was the best Ayr team we’ve had since relegation from the premier league (sorry Lawrence!).  And the game was at Somerset.  I’d back us to beat anyone at home.

The 11/12 team was desperately limited and was ultimately relegated, mainly because we had almost no goal threat.  We had an improbable series of results against Inverness, Hearts and St Mirren in the cup by employing tactics that weren’t pretty, though no one was complaining at the time.  Rangers got to a UEFA cup final and Greece won the Euros doing the same.  We employed the same tactics in the semi final and it didn’t work, though the fact it was 0-0 after 90 minutes indicates it was far from a capitulation or an embarrassment to quote some of the sillier hyperbole.

The suggestion we weren’t trying to win is absurd.

Edited by Mgc1910

The 96/97 team had seen significant investment and went on to win the league.
The 97/98 team had also seen significant investment, though Dalziel’s incompetence tended to cover that up.  And as you state, the game was at Somerset.  The game should probably have been called off as well due to a pitch that turned the game into s battle.
The 98/99 team was the best Ayr team we’ve had since relegation from the premier league (sorry Lawrence!).  And the game was at Somerset.  I’d back us to beat anyone at home.
The 11/12 team was desperately limited and was ultimately relegated, mainly because we had almost no goal threat.  We had an improbable series of results against Inverness, Hearts and St Mirren in the cup by employing tactics that weren’t pretty, though no one was complaining at the time.  Rangers got to a UEFA cup final and Greece won the Euros doing the same.  We employed the same tactics in the semi final and it didn’t work, though the fact it was 0-0 after 90 minutes indicates it was far from a capitulation or an embarrassment to quote some of the sillier hyperbole.
The suggestion we weren’t trying to win is absurd.

It was absolutely clear from the 1st minute of that game, that Reid had set us up to take it to penalties.

Easily one of the worst games I’ve been to see Ayr.

I can assure you I was there and I've never felt worse after any defeat.

We did capitulate, but that's f**k all to do with effort and much more to do with strategy and tactics. We didn't have any plan to hurt them - ever. Literally no attacking threat. It was absolutely embarrassing.

I'm not saying we open up and go for them, but there was no balance whatever. No threat from anywhere.

2 hours ago, BukyOHare said:

Time clearly fades the memories.

As good as things may be at the moment to suggest those groups of 3 are in anyway close is hilarious. Not even close I'm afraid, and it'll take something extremely special for that to ever change. 

McCowan's played 591 minutes over 3 seasons and 11 1st team games. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

How many goals in those 11? 

1 minute ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

Airdrie in the play-offs was still the worst set of games under Reid, completely out played in both games.

They were horrible!!

For me, the killie semi, with over 9,000 in the Ayr end, was an opportunity to shine. It was our final. It was a chance to go and show lapsed supporters why they should come back. It was freezing, embarrassing and boring. Killie were there for the taking.

I can understand that if we seriously had a chance to win the thing, to play safe, to not lose a goal, to play defensively, but that was never going to happen.

All I can say is that some of our fans must be really bored or have serious masochistic tendencies when they appear to be taking great delight in attempting to put down our own players, especially ones who are young and have been an integral part of our excellent start to the season which has seen us win 4 league matches from our first 5.

Oh dear...................

4 hours ago, WATTOO said:

Well, if you read my post you will see that I said,

The front 3 of Hurst, Walker & Teale was simply superb to watch, however I think we're pretty close to it at the moment"

Now, i don't know about you, however I'm thoroughly enjoying watching these three play and can see improvement in their play week on week, especially from Luke who's just getting better and better.

Apart from that they're actually playing at the same level as the aforementioned guys and who knows how far McCowan and Forrest will go in the game.

I'm glad you found it "hilarious" though............

I've only made the point that to compare the current Galacticos with Walker, Teale and Hurst, at this stage of their careers at least, is premature in the extreme.