The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

I really hope he stays.

It's been such a ride, and I don't want to get off.

I live around d the corner from him and know that it would be convenient, but equally HORRIBLE if it didn't work out.

Big gamble on his part.

Less so if the board give him an improved contract.

Stick or twist from our board's perspective, I would say.

15 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Isn’t he on record as saying (several times) that he’s here for as long as Lachlan wants him?

That's a good point and presumably Falkirk offered him much more cash and transfer budget than we could ever match last season.

15 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

Long term contract on improved terms promise of funds in January is a must to convince him to stay, folk think it's just the football side McCall has transformed but by all accounts he has overhauled the behind the scenes as well. It will be a massive blow if he leaves.

^100% this! I see Clyde have just announced Lennon has signed an extension. Would be nice if we could do the same.

Edited by Trogdor

18 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

Long term contract on improved terms promise of funds in January is a must to convince him to stay, folk think it's just the football side McCall has transformed but by all accounts he has overhauled the behind the scenes as well. It will be a massive blow if he leaves.

And where are these funds going to come from?  McCall knows the financial state of the  club as well as anyone.  Is he really going to use that as leverage in deciding whether to stay or not.

And who knows whether he'd even want a long term contract, the details of his haven't been made public the last couple seasons, so no one knows what's going on there.

Edited by UpInTheAyr

4 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

That's a good point and presumably Falkirk offered him much more cash and transfer budget than we could ever match last season.

I see this as being very similar to the Falkirk situation last year. They’ll offer him more cash and a bigger budget but ultimately he’ll stay put.

You’d have to be a mad man to join a club who are trying to push takeover plans through. What if their new rich owners come in and want to bring their own man in?

27 minutes ago, AUFC 1910 said:

I really hope he stays.

It's been such a ride, and I don't want to get off.

I live around d the corner from him and know that it would be convenient, but equally HORRIBLE if it didn't work out.

Big gamble on his part.

Less so if the board give him an improved contract.

Stick or twist from our board's perspective, I would say.

Not to much of a gamble his only remit would be to keep us up this season 

Edited by third lanark

1 minute ago, third lanark said:

Not to much of a gamble his only remit would be to keep us up this season 

That worked out well for Ray 'Snake' McKinnon last season. That should be a cautionary tale.

Unfortunately, he has the emotional attachment to Thistle which is slightly different to the Falkirk approach last season.

3 minutes ago, Hazbart said:

I see this as being very similar to the Falkirk situation last year. They’ll offer him more cash and a bigger budget but ultimately he’ll stay put.

You’d have to be a mad man to join a club who are trying to push takeover plans through. What if their new rich owners come in and want to bring their own man in?

I'm also not so sure that he'd enjoy managing the likes of Kenny Miller, Joe Cardle etc, lots of guys stuck  in their ways and only out for final pay days etc, unlike the young hungry and exciting team he's moulding together at Ayr.

Who knows though ??

And where are these funds going to come from?  McCall knows the financial state of the  club as well as anyone.  Is he really going to use that as leverage in deciding whether to stay or not.
And who knows whether he'd even want a long term contract, the details of his haven't been made public the last couple seasons, so no one knows what's going on there.
100% get that but we can't just roll over and let the so called bigger clubs just rip the heart out of the club, McCall is now developing young players who may move on for big money let's be honest if McCowan keeps kicking on like he is that could be a game changing transfer for us soon. We have a good thing going here just now and hopefully McCall wants to see the job through.

After todays amazing first half performance , and what Ian McCall has brought to the club over last few years would a massive loss to the club if he went to Thistle .

How ever I have  a gut feeling he will stay , he has built a fantastic team despite loosing some key players this season , and if he stay's ( I think he will) we can be serious challengers for the title .We have  a super team spirit , and likes of Forrest , Harvie, Doohan, Kelly and Roscoe are just flourishing under McCall.

We have some old Skool players Kerr , Moffat, and Geggan who just add to a fantastic team (not to forget Big Jamie no better player when fit) 

For Ayr United , the supporters I just hope my gut feeling is correct and  Ian McCall continues as our probably best Manager in years 

3 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:
17 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

100% get that but we can't just roll over and let the so called bigger clubs just rip the heart out of the club, McCall is now developing young players who may move on for big money let's be honest if McCowan keeps kicking on like he is that could be a game changing transfer for us soon. We have a good thing going here just now and hopefully McCall wants to see the job through.

The fact his contract  details haven't  been disclosed must  mean he's either on  one of those rolling contracts or not  on one at all, if that's possible. Because you wouldn't make those public with clubs likely  to be sniffing around him during the season.  And I'm sure it's entirely McCall's preference.

2 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

Just of the article is he will decide in the next 24hrs permission had been granted and he has spoken to them.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/ayrshire/ayr-united-boss-ian-mccall-20140045

That doesn't sound great at all. I feel if he was backed more at the start of the season then he would stay without problems but after a brilliant season he was wanting to kick on and his budget was cut. 

5 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

Just of the article is he will decide in the next 24hrs permission had been granted and he has spoken to them.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/ayrshire/ayr-united-boss-ian-mccall-20140045

Interesting, from that its not a done deal which is somewhat reassuring. 

Edit to add - Just realised if he goes Scally will be off as well.

Edited by Trogdor

McCall wants Scally to go to Thistle with him aswell, Archibald number 2.

I think he'll go, board and chairman haven't backed him enough for this season imo and aren't showing the ambition to get to the Premiership. If the board had some balls to take up the challenge of trying to get to the premiership then he would stay, but they don't want to do that.

I think we'd only need another three decent players and we could seriously challenge for promotion.

Straight away he'd want to take Harvie, Moffat, McCowan and Forrest with him, Andy Murdoch probably aswell.

McCall wants Scally to go to Thistle with him aswell, Archibald number 2.

I think he'll go, board and chairman haven't backed him enough for this season imo and aren't showing the ambition to get to the Premiership. If the board had some balls to take up the challenge of trying to get to the premiership then he would stay, but they don't want to do that.

I think we'd only need another three decent players and we could seriously challenge for promotion.

Folk can talk about lack of ambition until they are blue in the face. But if the money isn’t there, then it’s not there.