The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

2 hours ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Maybe  he should have done better against Alloa & the Bot then.

Comments like this really piss me off. They conveniently ignore McCall taking us to a League Cup quarter final last season, playing in front of 40,000 plus. 

Comments like this really piss me off. They conveniently ignore McCall taking us to a League Cup quarter final last season, playing in front of 40,000 plus. 

They don’t ignore anything.

If we’d beaten Auchinleck and Alloa, there wouldn’t have been the issues with the budget. Or they wouldn’t have been so significant as they are.

You can also add our failure to beat Stranraer this season to that.

18 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

They don’t ignore anything.

If we’d beaten Auchinleck and Alloa, there wouldn’t have been the issues with the budget. Or they wouldn’t have been so significant as they are.

You can also add our failure to beat Stranraer this season to that.

Personally I think Lachlan was out of order making that comment. It puts all the blame on the manager and players, rather than the board and commercial department for being unable to attract additional funds. We were not expected to finish anywhere near fourth last year so to portray it as commercial failure is completely wrong.

The balance to that is the points we get off Alloa this year set off against the points we would have taken from Falkirk could be worth at least as much or more in prize money over the two year period. An unknowable, of course.

As much as I think Lachlan and and the board are doing a really good job they have to take a bit of the blame apparently one of the reasons the budget was reduced was we paid out more in bounus that we thought we would pay, should have had faith in the players to smash the targets set and budget accordingly for them to earn the bounus

Personally I think Lachlan was out of order making that comment. It puts all the blame on the manager and players, rather than the board and commercial department for being unable to attract additional funds. We were not expected to finish anywhere near fourth last year so to portray it as commercial failure is completely wrong.

You could say McCall was a bit out of order running to the AP to say his budget had been slashed without telling Cameron.

Cameron has at least given other reasons as to why the budget is lower. Games being moved to fit TV schedules, players bonuses for finishing top 4 plus the costs of upgrades around the ground have all had costs and the playing budget has suffered. I said at the start of the season that finishing 5th or 6th wouldn’t be that bad as we’ll likely have fewer TV games and the bonuses to players wouldn’t be as high.

You could say McCall was a bit out of order running to the AP to say his budget had been slashed without telling Cameron.

Cameron has at least given other reasons as to why the budget is lower. Games being moved to fit TV schedules, players bonuses for finishing top 4 plus the costs of upgrades around the ground have all had costs and the playing budget has suffered. I said at the start of the season that finishing 5th or 6th wouldn’t be that bad as we’ll likely have fewer TV games and the bonuses to players wouldn’t be as high.
The week the ST's were to go on sale no less.

So the shortfall from winning either of those two games was around a high five figure and a low six figure fee, and you think the board and commercial dept are too blame for not being able to make either of those figures up, never mind both of them. What league do you think we're in..

4 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

So the shortfall from winning either of those two games was around a high five figure and a low six figure fee, and you think the board and commercial dept are too blame for not being able to make either of those figures up, never mind both of them. What league do you think we're in..

I said it puts 'all' the blame on the manager and squad. I didn't say it should all be put on the board and commercial arm. But I don't think they should get off scot free. 

As much as I think Lachlan and and the board are doing a really good job they have to take a bit of the blame apparently one of the reasons the budget was reduced was we paid out more in bounus that we thought we would pay, should have had faith in the players to smash the targets set and budget accordingly for them to earn the bounus

If he'd had faith in the team to "smash" the target, I assume the target being 8th, then there would have been no signing Liam Smith.

I said it puts 'all' the blame on the manager and squad. I didn't say it should all be put on the board and commercial arm. But I don't think they should get off scot free. 
Where was "all" the blame going when McCall made the initial comment that kicked all this off?

Just out of sheer interest, if we were to lose McCall who’d be a likely replacement?

Provided he didn’t move with McCall to Thistle then Neil Scally wouldn’t be a bad idea. Already has a good relationship with the players, knows the club and is best placed to continue the style of play that McCall has in place. He already takes training (along with Sandy Stewart).

FYI, I’m not overly worried that McCall will leave.

McCall wouldn't comment to our very own Voice of Reason about Thistle speculation, doesn't bode well that he never said no....

IIRC he didn’t immediately rule out Falkirk last season either.

He’ll likely use this to leverage some funds from Cameron’s pocket.

If McCall is offered the Thistle job there’s absolutely no chance he will say no, it’s just a matter of whether our board offer it to him or not. You’re clearly better than us currently - thanks to the dearly departed Caldwell - but McCall loves Thistle and has said before he has unfinished business, plus we are (despite our current situation) clearly a bigger club. 

Edited by VladimirMooc

If McCall is offered the Thistle job there’s absolutely no chance he will say no, it’s just a matter of whether our board offer it to him or not. You’re clearly better than us currently - thanks to the dearly departed Caldwell - but McCall loves Thistle and has said before he has unfinished business, plus we are (despite our current situation) clearly a bigger club. 

How many years ago was it he said that about Thistle? Circumstances change.