The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

8 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

It’s not “yer da stuff”.

Your asking a full back to play in a more advanced attacking role where there’s more to it than getting to the byline and crossing the ball. Harvie doesn’t have the attributes to play as a winger.

When does Forrest or McCowan do that btw? 

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

They don’t that’s the point. Harvie does and if he played in Forrest’s position you’d be expecting him to do more.

Cutting in from an advanced wide area wouldnt inconvenience Harvie either. His moment of glory against Dundee United being exhibit a. 

Being played into the channels against lumbering Centre halves could see him develop even further. 

I wouldn't be so quick to say he couldn't do it. 

37 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Its a bit of a step to say that 2 year contracts are long term surely? But there's more than one way to skin a cat and say we offer £ x hundred per week and build in incentives and / or percentages payable to the player based on what Dundee Utd, Coventry or whoever offer us when the time comes for the player to move on, then surely its a win win for the player and us as a club. 

Let's get away from being seen as a bit of a soft touch in the transfer market, behind closed doors the decision makers at the club have to fight tooth and nail to get some middle ground for all parties here. 

Primarily so our best assets dont continually leave for free. 

If we can start becoming a bit more creative in our thinking we can perhaps start being in a position to pay nominal fees and build up a kitty to reinvest or bolster a transfer budget. 

Such clauses were declared illegal by FIFA about 3 or 4 years ago, as payments to 3rd parties, albeit recent rulings have changed the view again and they are now allowed to be included in contracts again.

As Robbo says though this perception that exists that young players are just desperate to sign longer term contracts is generally nonsense. They all think they can do better and none of them think the career ending injury might happen to them. It's the way of the world. Players aren't completely stupid. They know they limit their own bargaining position if they accept longer term contracts and generally at our level they won't take them. Family men, settling down with a mortgage might, and guys at the top level who are already earning what they reasonably think they can might. Young players with ambition won't.

32 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

He’s playing second fiddle to the best left back in the league at the minute.

He’ll probably get more of a chance next season when Harvie leaves.

I didn't even know Kevin Holt played fiddle let alone had someone backing him up on it.

Cutting in from an advanced wide area wouldnt inconvenience Harvie either. His moment of glory against Dundee United being exhibit a. 
Being played into the channels against lumbering Centre halves could see him develop even further. 
I wouldn't be so quick to say he couldn't do it. 

You’ve picked the one instance that he’s actually scored a goal. It’ll take more than that to convince me or Mark Kerr that he can play further up.
I didn't even know Kevin Holt played fiddle let alone had someone backing him up on it.

If Kevin Holt did play the fiddle then Daniel Harvie would be better than him at that as well.

6 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

You’ve picked the one instance that he’s actually scored a goal. It’ll take more than that to convince me or Mark Kerr that he can play further up.

If Kevin Holt did play the fiddle then Daniel Harvie would be better than him at that as well.

I'm not here to convince you or anyone else, it's an opinion, not high school debating. 

Ps how do you know what Mark Kerr thinks? 

Edited by BukyOHare

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

Harvie's ok. I suspect he saves his poorer performances for games against us rather than is really as average as he sometimes looks. He had an absolute "should have been hooked before half time" nightmare in our 5-0 win last season and hasn't looked great in the head to heads this season either but I've seen him play well on tv. I wouldn't take him over Holt or probably Jordan Marshall.

Harvie's ok. I suspect he saves his poorer performances for games against us rather than is really as average as he sometimes looks. He had an absolute "should have been hooked before half time" nightmare in our 5-0 win last season and hasn't looked great in the head to heads this season either but I've seen him play well on tv. I wouldn't take him over Holt or probably Jordan Marshall.

He was very very inconsistent last season to the point some fans were saying Paddy Boyle, who struggled in League 1 with us, should’ve been retained.

Funnily enough I think we only signed him after Jordan Marshall re-signed with you guys.

Ps how do you know what Mark Kerr thinks? 

It’s an opinion as some would say.

If Mark Kerr plays Harvie further forward then I’ll eat as many hats as you would like.

I’m surprised you’ve not mentioned the game that he played as a wing back against Arbroath and looked pretty lost. I’d be surprised if Kerr did that again considering how poor he was.

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

If Mark Kerr plays Harvie further forward then I’ll eat as many hats as you would like.

I’m surprised you’ve not mentioned the game that he played as a wing back against Arbroath and looked pretty lost. I’d be surprised if Kerr did that again considering how poor he was.

Maybe he didnt have Forrest to link up with. 😉

2 hours ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

The trailist to the reserve game yesterday was Darren Curtis. 

Hope we sign him to see all the VLs raging we are signing players from the juniors buy also demanding Moff plays. 

6 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

They brought McCowan on to give him someone to link up with in that game. So agree.  

29 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Harvie has 3 Premiership clubs looking  at him , I take it he’s not too bad a player !!

Edited by Robbo63

13 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

Harvie has 3 Premiership clubs looking  at him , I take it he’s not too bad a player !!

I never said he was a bad player (although I highlighted one rank awful game). I'm sure he's a very good left back. You don't get as many good reviews as he has without having something about him. Lawrence Shankland has also persistently done bugger all against us, I'm not suggesting he's a bad player either.

Premiership clubs are always looking for potential though. Harvie is young with the potential to get better. He probably is seen as being a better prospect than Marshall, he certainly has a physical size advantage. Premiership club are far less likely to look at Holt who has had several years at that level already, is on a long term contract at Queens and is settled with his family in the area. It doesn't mean he's not a better player at this point (doesn't mean he is either, that's just a matter of opinion).

There wouldn't have been Premiership scouts looking at Stephen Dobbie in the last couple of seasons either, but he has been the best player at this level for about the last three years.