The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

DZ is a good player but given that he chose Thistle over us last season gives you the impression that we couldn’t match their  £££ . Add to the fact that he’s walking away from them and away from those ££££’s also suggest he has a deal pending . If for example it’s us (doubtfu) then we would be offering pretty much our maximum deal , I could maybe see us doing that for a top striker or centre half but maybe not a wide player . We still have Geggan, McCowan , hopefully Murdock who can all operate wide if need be , we could also operate a 5-3-2 with the fullbacks getting up the flanks ,, 

There is no world where Murdoch or geggan should be played wide midfield ever! Geggan is done at this level as much as that pains me to say and Murdoch is an out nd out cm

1 hour ago, ryanayr1987 said:
3 hours ago, Tigerland said:
 DZ is a good player but given that he chose Thistle over us last season gives you the impression that we couldn’t match their  £££ . Add to the fact that he’s walking away from them and away from those ££££’s also suggest he has a deal pending . If for example it’s us (doubtfu) then we would be offering pretty much our maximum deal , I could maybe see us doing that for a top striker or centre half but maybe not a wide player . We still have Geggan, McCowan , hopefully Murdock who can all operate wide if need be , we could also operate a 5-3-2 with the fullbacks getting up the flanks ,, 

There is no world where Murdoch or geggan should be played wide midfield ever! Geggan is done at this level as much as that pains me to say and Murdoch is an out nd out cm

Should and could are two different things . Murdy can produce the goods all across the midfield but I agree he’s best in the middle of a four man midfield , however he can’t be described as a holding midfielder . He would be your buzzer in Ally McLeods  old formation of a buzzer a banger and a passer . 

Geggan will maybe be a pool player covering injuries at right Mack or right midfield or being brought on to help hold a lead in the last few mins etc etc ...

I think a fighting fit Cadden would be better value than DZ and at half the price would leave some £ for what will be our critical areas of concern , centre half and centre mid passer ....

Should and could are two different things . Murdy can produce the goods all across the midfield but I agree he’s best in the middle of a four man midfield , however he can’t be described as a holding midfielder . He would be your buzzer in Ally McLeods  old formation of a buzzer a banger and a passer . 
Geggan will maybe be a pool player covering injuries at right Mack or right midfield or being brought on to help hold a lead in the last few mins etc etc ...
I think a fighting fit Cadden would be better value than DZ and at half the price would leave some £ for what will be our critical areas of concern , centre half and centre mid passer ....

Cadden isn’t coming back to Ayr.

1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Thank god. He’s looked decent at other clubs but I thought he was poor to average with us

If we are going with a Drinan type CF backed up with a back post finisher like Moore then a left footed left winger who can actually hit the bye line and put a proper cross in for our tall left footed CF if it’s Drinan or our back post scraps finisher (Moore) , then a winger like Cadden is pretty necessary . If not Cadden then somebody of that ilk ....

The talk of getting somebody as a replacement for Forrest got me thinking, 10 league goals from a wide position, albeit drifting and linking inside, won't be at all straightforward. 

That's before considering his assists or off the ball movement to create space for others.

You don't know what you've got till it's gone as someone once sung. 

Zanatta although undoubtedly talented is wildly inconsistent to the point of being non existent at times. His general workrate could also be questioned from what I saw. Albeit in that comedy sh!tshow from last season. 
You could imagine an old school John McGlynn type gaffer consistently getting the best out of him and pushing him on. There's a player there if it can come to the party more often / consistently.

Tbh even Forrest had games this season where he was non existent

4 hours ago, BukyOHare said:

The talk of getting somebody as a replacement for Forrest got me thinking, 10 league goals from a wide position, albeit drifting and linking inside, won't be at all straightforward. 

That's before considering his assists or off the ball movement to create space for others.

You don't know what you've got till it's gone as someone once sung. 

Forrest was absolutely superb and unplayable for about an 8 to 10 week period, his form then dipped, however even  a mediocre Forrest is a good player at this level if only for his movement and link up play, as you say, he'll be very difficult / impossible to replace.

I just hope Luke can regain his early season form and kick on, as I had high hopes for him being one of our best, if not potentially the best, player at the club.

A Celtic fan I worked with asked me a few months ago if I thought he'd end up at Celtic, I said no and explained why not. He is inconsistent, can play well for six weeks then be an empty jersey for 3-4 weeks, then get dropped, come off the bench and impress, then disappear again.  

He told me I'd just described James so there was a chance Alan would make it.

13 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

A Celtic fan I worked with asked me a few months ago if I thought he'd end up at Celtic, I said no and explained why not. He is inconsistent, can play well for six weeks then be an empty jersey for 3-4 weeks, then get dropped, come off the bench and impress, then disappear again.  

He told me I'd just described James so there was a chance Alan would make it.

Get me a minimum of 10 league goals from his replacement. Good luck. 

Craig Conway was literally hounded out of the club before going onto have a career that flew in the face of the  online experts. 

I don't believe Forrest will go onto have the same career before anyone asks but what I do think is fair to say is that wide players can often be under appreciated.

22 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Get me a minimum of 10 league goals from his replacement. Good luck. 

Craig Conway was literally hounded out of the club before going onto have a career that flew in the face of the  online experts. 

I don't believe Forrest will go onto have the same career before anyone asks but what I do think is fair to say is that wide players can often be under appreciated.

Think it’s just clear that a large proportion of our support are clueless morons. 

Was pretty clear Conway was excellent. The likes of Crawford and Forrest in recent years back that up. 

36 minutes ago, Lochwood said:

Zanatta or Cadden is exactly what we are looking for, preference Cadden but I’m sure we won’t be able to afford either.

If Morton can afford Cadden then so can we. 

9 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

My friend asked me tonight who our first black player was. Does anyone have any idea?

I would say Stainrod era at the earliest but I can't remember if maybe Burley had anyone in for 1-2 games on loan. I would take a guess at Jullian Dowe. I think he signed before Justin Jackson in the early 90's. Until then, Ayr were part time so unlikely to tempt anyone that hadn't came through the ranks in Scottish football by that point.