The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

2 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

What is taking so long? Surely the board aren't backing Duffy? This is starting to look ominous. Kerr had been sacked by this time following the loss to Arbroath.

What a great decision that turned out to be 

Whether Kerr would have changed in time is academic. It's always a pity when a young new manager has a hard time of things and gets ejected, especially when he's trying something different. But he got his summer signings badly wrong and couldn't get the team to play well in his system. Maybe if he'd been hired in League One he'd have had a better time of it. There is no way to know now and anyone retroactively calling for him to have stayed is fooling themselves.

Duffy and Hopkin being pish doesn't make the decision to sack Kerr wrong. Hopkin should absolutely have been let go at the end of the season. The short-sighted and cheap decision to give him a window and bring another clown in as backup was indisputably a large error.

Just now, No_Problemo said:

Nah, no Kerr revisionism. 

He was out of his depth and was massively failing to get the best out of a potentially talented bunch of forward options. He was/is better than the two who have replaced him, but he was also dreadful. 

He had us in the top half of the championship for all but 2 weeks of his tenure.  

I can't believe it's actually taken people on here until the middle of December before Duffy's been fully found out. Win our games against the teams around us seemed to be all he those defending him thought he needed to do.
It's as laughable now as it seemed back then.

Partick away was it for me. Killie 2nd half, and Raith 1st half too. Absolute disasters and a real sign of things to come.

I wonder if a recently unemployed lad from Northern Ireland would be interested in the job,

it is nearer home than his last one and he'd promise you immediate promotion.

It would also get him nearer Drongan and Tarbolton  in time for the marching season.

Just a thought..... naw? ,,,, didny think so.

We'll fight ye for Jack Ross., jackets aff and a square go in Symington,,,😀

Thinking of replacements, I'd love to see James McFadden given real consideration.

As talented a footballer as the national team has had over recent years and who played at a really high standard at club level as well. You'd think teams he coaches would play the game in an entertaining manner at least.

If he has also retained contacts from his time at Everton and Motherwell which you think he would, then I'd like to see him given a chance.

Having somebody like Mathie in place helps a less experienced manager as well

2 minutes ago, Hawkeye the Gnu said:

I wonder if a recently unemployed lad from Northern Ireland would be interested in the job,

it is nearer home than his last one and he'd promise you immediate promotion.

It would also get him nearer Drongan and Tarbolton  in time for the marching season.

Just a thought..... naw? ,,,, didny think so.

We'll fight ye for Jack Ross., jackets aff and a square go in Symington,,,😀

I have my doubts on Ross, seems to be an arse and hasn’t really been the standout a lot of people make him out to be.

He’ll also want decent cash to spend and I don’t think any club will fling money at him. I don’t think he would improve either team massively this season. 

2 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Thinking of replacements, I'd love to see James McFadden given real consideration.

As talented a footballer as the national team has had over recent years and who played at a really high standard at club level as well. You'd think teams he coaches would play the game in an entertaining manner at least.

If he has also retained contacts from his time at Everton and Motherwell which you think he would, then I'd like to see him given a chance.

Have you heard him on the BBC Scotland games? He’s about as insightful as Michael Owen.

Just now, BukyOHare said:

I’d like Craig Levein, he can spot a player and has plenty of experience. Maybe wants to finish a job at Brechin though.

he is unlikely. There may be a name in the coaching network that is a standout to someone like Mathie. Queens Park and even Fort William have made interesting appointments recently. 

1 minute ago, diegomarahenry said:

I have my doubts on Ross, seems to be an arse and hasn’t really been the standout a lot of people make him out to be.

He’ll also want decent cash to spend and I don’t think any club will fling money at him. I don’t think he would improve either team massively this season. 

I don't know what to make of Ross to be honest. I remember watching the Sunderland documentary on Netflix and it became clear he was on a hiding to nothing during his time there. There seemed to be a criticism that he'd look to hold onto leads as well. His links to Hibs with Mathie are there for all to see but I can't see him coming to us.

You see Dick Campbell sitting at the top of the league and that in itself should prove that it takes all sorts of styles and ideas to win football matches. What cannot be denied is that winning teams buy into what is being asked of them and believe in the guy leading them from the dugout. Easy.

3 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

I’d like Craig Levein, he can spot a player and has plenty of experience. Maybe wants to finish a job at Brechin though.

he is unlikely. There may be a name in the coaching network that is a standout to someone like Mathie. Queens Park and even Fort William have made interesting appointments recently. 

Levein would be a decent appointment as well. Would he move West though?

4 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

I dont think it'll be too long before he gets a job somewhere.

I doubt it will be with us as the risk of us taking on an unknown quantity would be too great.

By that I mean it'll be much harder to get us promoted than it would be to keep you in the league,

Dont mean to be disrespectful.