The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

33 minutes ago, Thumper said:

On what is this fantasy based?

Probably that there is a better left back available on a free and could be tied down long term and Reading may not be seen as the left back we need for 2/3 years time?

36 minutes ago, Thumper said:

It's quite clear that Reading has been miles off it this season and an upgrade is required if we are looking to progress. Same goes for right back. Happy for McAllister to stick around as back up/utility player but need a starting right back. 

If we have a left back as cover, they need to either be able to cover a different position like McCallister or be a young, emerging talent. I don't see Reading as either of these. 

It is a shame its not working out for him but he and Houston have both been good in the past but both have been very poor this season. 

There is something missing from this team, we have lots of good bits but there is nothing tying them together. Even with Chalmers we were still disjointed and didn't have a proper flow. A big part of that has been two attacking full backs who have not been good at attacking for some time and defending isn't their game. 

10 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

There is something missing from this team

I think the team is lacking in leadership and experience,  particularly in midfield.  We could use an experienced leader in there who can pass the ball and dictate the tempo of the game... Hard to find with our budget but there you go ..

1 hour ago, ayrunitedfw said:

It's quite clear that Reading has been miles off it this season

1 hour ago, callum-ayr said:

Probably that there is a better left back available on a free and could be tied down long term and Reading may not be seen as the left back we need for 2/3 years time?

It was quite clear that he was miles off it last season as well. Assuming the club is happy with the league standings at the end (and it seems to be universally accepted that they are), why would they bother?

Edited by Thumper

3 minutes ago, Thumper said:

It was quite clear that he was miles off it last season as well. Assuming the club is happy with the league standings at the end (and it seems to be universally accepted that they are), why would they bother?

Perhaps they'll leave as is on the left back front , however it is our biggest weakness and if we are to progress it needs an upgrade . I was told by somebody who was in the directors box on Saturday that the talk is there will be five new players in the summer .  Perhaps one will be  somebody that can play left back . 

17 minutes ago, North British 2 said:

I think the team is lacking in leadership and experience,  particularly in midfield.  We could use an experienced leader in there who can pass the ball and dictate the tempo of the game... Hard to find with our budget but there you go ..

We have two very similar midfielders in Murdoch and Dempsey but not Docherty or Kerr type. We don't retain the ball so the centre halfs and midfield aren't in a forward motion with the ball much. 

Our wide players are expected to carry the ball from the full back area up the length of the park because the we only play one up front and he is normally marked by the two centre halfs. The full backs don't support anywhere near as much as they should because we lose the ball far to often. 

Up front can be a mess, our final balls in the the box are poor, we don't have enough players chipping in with goals, Musonda was our top scorer for the month of April with two. 

We have Akinyemi, Dempsey, Murdoch, Albinson, McGinty & Musonda, we are solid at the back and have the leagues top goalscorer and two of the best midfielders on their day. 

Despite all this, we are largely poor to watch. 

19 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

We have two very similar midfielders in Murdoch and Dempsey but not Docherty or Kerr type. We don't retain the ball so the centre halfs and midfield aren't in a forward motion with the ball much. 

Our wide players are expected to carry the ball from the full back area up the length of the park because the we only play one up front and he is normally marked by the two centre halfs. The full backs don't support anywhere near as much as they should because we lose the ball far to often. 

Up front can be a mess, our final balls in the the box are poor, we don't have enough players chipping in with goals, Musonda was our top scorer for the month of April with two. 

We have Akinyemi, Dempsey, Murdoch, Albinson, McGinty & Musonda, we are solid at the back and have the leagues top goalscorer and two of the best midfielders on their day. 

Despite all this, we are largely poor to watch. 

Agree with most of this , particularly around Dempsey,  i think Bullen sees him as a no8 but for me he's a no6 as is Murdoch which un ballances our midfield a bit . Would love us to sign somebody like Spencer of Raith or Bannigan of Thistle ..  

I'd say we're probably needing more than 5 new players tbh.

Presuming Dipo is away, As starters: Albinson, Musonda, Dempsey, Murdoch, Mullin

so needing as a bare minimum LB, RB, CB, CM, Winger, 2 strikers 

That is probably quite harsh on McGinty who has been largely fine this season. 

Just my view but reckon we need a younger version of Maguire - someone who can control the ball in midfield and make the obvious pass or even just the simple forward pass. Too many times we miss out the ball to feet with a supporting midfielder to break the lines and start a serious attack. Relying too much on one of the front two (or three) making a move beyond the opposition defence doesn't do it for me - we lose possession far too often with the early ball. 

Maybe I've watched too much of the better teams in England.....?

10 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Presuming Dipo is away, As starters: Albinson, Musonda, Dempsey, Murdoch, Mullin

That is probably quite harsh on McGinty who has been largely fine this season

I'd say we'll be getting a keeper , centre mid , left back/centre half,  striker and a wide left player .

16 minutes ago, North British 2 said:

I'd say we'll be getting a keeper , centre mid , left back/centre half,  striker and a wide left player .

I think we are well down the road on a couple of those requirements, I would not be assuming there is not lots going on in the background , pre season training is only about 5 weeks away 

4 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

That is probably quite harsh on McGinty who has been largely fine this season. 

I feel like the number 5 is always mentioned with regards to incomings but it generally ends up being more. 

We were told they didn’t want much of an overhaul in the summer there and then they went and signed about 7 or 8 players. 

24 minutes ago, North British 2 said:

A keeper? 

If McAdams leaves I’d rather we just run with Ecrepont tbh. 

4 hours ago, Thumper said:

Can't see them using two first team wages on guys for the one position. Seems inefficient.

15 minutes ago, Iain said:

Can't see them using two first team wages on guys for the one position. Seems inefficient.

Other than Paul Hartley or John Hughes, who is going to pay a transfer fee for Patrick Reading's remaining year on his contract?

2 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Other than Paul Hartley or John Hughes, who is going to pay a transfer fee for Patrick Reading's remaining year on his contract?

It won’t happen but it wouldn’t be a huge shock if a conference team showed an interest in him and we let him go for next to nothing. 

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

A keeper? 

Bullen did talk about wanting McAdams to sign a new deal in November although nothing was ever confirmed. Also Timmins did mention in the recent Arbroath press conference about having the 3 of them next season.

I suppose his options are limited if he wants to stay FT but given he was signed as first choice and I expect Albinson new deal was on better terms then I'd hope any new offer was on reduced terms.

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

A keeper? 

Ecrepont has just turned 16. As highly as he is rated, I'd rather he continued developing a bit more before he's even considered for a regular seat on the first-team bench. 

5 minutes ago, GaryMc93 said:

Bullen did talk about wanting McAdams to sign a new deal in November although nothing was ever confirmed. Also Timmins did mention in the recent Arbroath press conference about having the 3 of them next season.

I suppose his options are limited if he wants to stay FT but given he was signed as first choice and I expect Albinson new deal was on better terms then I'd hope any new offer was on reduced terms.

It’ll be along the same lines as Baird and Muirhead hopefully. Can stay if he wants but the new terms will reflect the role he will play.