The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

9 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Just anyone.  Even if it's David Dunn reborn. 

If I was a betting man, I’d say we’ll start the season with Reading.  He’ll be on a very decent wage given he signed a 2 year contract at a point when his stock was high - this time last year, there seemed to be a legitimate debate as to who was the better player between him and Maxwell..  I recall a good few comments that Maxwell was no great loss because we had Reading.  I doubt anything will change unless he can be moved on - I just don’t see us having 2 well paid left backs on our books.  A new right back seems more likely.

22 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Murphy feels like a very high risk signing.  Will take a big wage out of us and there are obvious concerns about whether he still has the legs to play out wide.  Sounds like he was never more than an impact sub for St Johnstone which is no use to us if that’s all he’s now capable of.   It’s a decade since he was a vaguely prolific goalscorer, so not sure why anyone thinks we would be playing him as a forward.  

Murphy always seemed to me more of a team type player, hard working, intelligent etc as opposed to a maverick type like Maguire. He's also just turning 34 at end of August so is not yet completely over the hill, especially as he missed a full season a couple of years back with a cruciate.

He had an excellent goalscoring record on loan to Burton in 2020 (L1) so he does still know where the net is, although as others have stated I'd more expect him to be playing wide and linking play / crossing balls etc.

I think most of us would agree that we definitely need some experience in the squad and there's no doubt at all that he ticks those boxes and has also played at the very highest level so I'm happy enough if we do indeed sign him. At the very least he deserves a chance to prove he can still do it.

12 minutes ago, Nelson said:

If I was a betting man, I’d say we’ll start the season with Reading.  He’ll be on a very decent wage given he signed a 2 year contract at a point when his stock was high - this time last year, there seemed to be a legitimate debate as to who was the better player between him and Maxwell..  I recall a good few comments that Maxwell was no great loss because we had Reading.  I doubt anything will change unless he can be moved on - I just don’t see us having 2 well paid left backs on our books.  A new right back seems more likely.

I think you have slightly misremembered.  There was a debate but it was because both of them were bad at their jobs and there was a wonder if Maxwell might do better than Reading at left back or not, not because both were excellent. 

19 minutes ago, cop said:

Holt, Turner and Doc leaving Partick

I’m sure I read that Holt and Doc were away to Dundee Utd and Turner was going to Ross County. 

Either way, none of them will be at us. The one I’d want the most is Holt. Would instantly sort out the left hand side of our defence. 

1 minute ago, itzdrk said:

I think you have slightly misremembered.  There was a debate but it was because both of them were bad at their jobs and there was a wonder if Maxwell might do better than Reading at left back or not, not because both were excellent. 

Not sure I agree with that.  I honestly don’t remember Maxwell playing a single game for Ayr in his preferred position of left back or left wing back.  To me, it was a mark of his fundamental quality that he was able to do a decent job playing out of position as a left midfielder.  It certainly wasn’t his fault that Bullen elected to play him at right midfield at times, which was proper lunacy.  Perhaps I was alone, but there was a sense that Maxwell given a run in his proper position could really flourish.  Appears to be doing very well at Doncaster which backs that up.  Might be wrong, but I got the sense his relationship with Bullen was a bit wobbly towards the end - not surprising when you’re consistently played out of position and are then the scapegoat when thing don’t go right - the Killie shambles comes to mind…

43 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Murphy feels like a very high risk signing.  Will take a big wage out of us and there are obvious concerns about whether he still has the legs to play out wide.  Sounds like he was never more than an impact sub for St Johnstone which is no use to us if that’s all he’s now capable of.   It’s a decade since he was a vaguely prolific goalscorer, so not sure why anyone thinks we would be playing him as a forward.  

He seemed to be a starter for most of the season until Davidson left…

1 minute ago, Nelson said:

Not sure I agree with that.  I honestly don’t remember Maxwell playing a single game for Ayr in his preferred position of left back or left wing back.  To me, it was a mark of his fundamental quality that he was able to do a decent job playing out of position as a left midfielder.  It certainly wasn’t his fault that Bullen elected to play him at right midfield at times, which was proper lunacy.  Perhaps I was alone, but there was a sense that Maxwell given a run in his proper position could really flourish.  Appears to be doing very well at Doncaster which backs that up.  Might be wrong, but I got the sense his relationship with Bullen was a bit wobbly towards the end - not surprising when you’re consistently played out of position and are then the scapegoat when thing don’t go right - the Killie shambles comes to mind…

No I don’t think he did play at left back. I don’t think he was good enough either to be played in midfield. Was far too lightweight and his positional sense wasn’t there either. He would either leave Reading exposed or be too deep. 

In hindsight I would definitely have signed him and let Reading go. He’s probably out our reach now at Doncaster but Bullen alluded to the fact that he thought he was too good for Ayr after last season. He went in the huff after the Killie shambles but I don’t think he was ever scapegoated. A change in that game was necessary and unfortunately he was sacrificed. 

5 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

He seemed to be a starter for most of the season until Davidson left…

Not sure what that proves….!  I guess we’d need a sensible objective opinion from st Johnstone fans to have any real comfort that this isn’t another Chris Maguire level mistake.  I remember the Partick fans telling us pretty clearly that Kris Doolan was done when we signed him - they were spot on.

7 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

No I don’t think he did play at left back. I don’t think he was good enough either to be played in midfield. Was far too lightweight and his positional sense wasn’t there either. He would either leave Reading exposed or be too deep. 

In hindsight I would definitely have signed him and let Reading go. He’s probably out our reach now at Doncaster but Bullen alluded to the fact that he thought he was too good for Ayr after last season. He went in the huff after the Killie shambles but I don’t think he was ever scapegoated. A change in that game was necessary and unfortunately he was sacrificed. 

Yep, I think it’s probably a moot point.  The relationship didn’t seem great with Bullen and we probably couldn’t match the terms a league 2 side were offering anyway.

Just now, Nelson said:

Not sure what that proves….!  I guess we’d need a sensible objective opinion from st Johnstone fans to have any real comfort that this isn’t another Chris Maguire level mistake.  I remember the Partick fans telling us pretty clearly that Kris Doolan was done when we signed him - they were spot on.

Nothing at all - just you said he was an impact sub. 

I think he’ll be much better than Maguire, whether he’ll be any good is still up for debate though. 

Just now, Coollestersmoothe said:

Are we replacing #imminent with a video fruitless trip to jewsons now?

I hope so. All new signings have to be revealed with a picture of them in a digger at Somerset with a hard hat on.

3 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Nothing at all - just you said he was an impact sub. 

I think he’ll be much better than Maguire, whether he’ll be any good is still up for debate though. 

There's more evidence to suggest he'll be good as opposed to bad given his record, however like every signing we just won't know until he appears (if).

I do think it's pretty unfair to completely write him off for no apparent reason though.

Welcome to Ayr, we just need to do your social media video. 

Cool, wee into video then a quick interview?

No, We just need to pop round to Jewsons

To wear the Ayr top and pose with a scarf around my head? Maybe showcase what they sell?

No, just walk around a bit then leave. 

2 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Welcome to Ayr, we just need to do your social media video. 

Cool, wee into video then a quick interview?

No, We just need to pop round to Jewsons

To wear the Ayr top and pose with a scarf around my head? Maybe showcase what they sell?

No, just keep your dress shirt on and put these tracksuit bottoms on for a walk around then leave.