The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, Buckfast said:

How do you make out that people are racist by thinking a player isn't very good?

Ashford isn't very good, Reading isn't very good, does that mean everyone on this thread who doesn't rate them are racist?

No, but Ashford and Reading did not score the goals that kept us up and were not criticised with thinly veiled racist tropes regardless of how well they played.

Someone also said he was "more interested in his business" - so what if he has a business? Plenty of footballers have business interests outside of football.

Why would a player who dug us out of a hole a number of times be criticised in such a manner and called shite? I can only think it's nothing to do with his contribution on the pitch, because he was one of the few positives of that season. 

He deserves a bit more respect than he gets on here.

I get having a view on how good Adeloye is is contentious. Its oart and parcel of talking about your team. But to then make the leap that having a negative view on him is somehow racist is insane. 

I thought he was pish because he was lazy. His record pretty much everywhere outside of ayr was rank rotten. 

16 minutes ago, Coollestersmoothe said:

I get having a view on how good Adeloye is is contentious. Its oart and parcel of talking about your team. But to then make the leap that having a negative view on him is somehow racist is insane. 

I thought he was pish because he was lazy. His record pretty much everywhere outside of ayr was rank rotten. 

You quite clearly completely devalue your argument when you call him pish though. 

I’m not saying it is the case with you, but in some places there absolutely were those kind of attitudes. 

55 minutes ago, Dauntless said:

I spoke to Bullen after the Thistle survival game in the Hub , he said Tomi could only do 70mins and that was a huge issue . That's maybe why Thistle can have him and Graham . They will be sharing the workload more than playing together ..

He scored two goals in that game - huge issue that 😂

11 minutes ago, Oceanlineayr said:

I find it baffling that Adeloye is usually singled out for being lazy that season in a team that had Joe Chalmers featuring in midfield.

Because Sleepy Joe never got any criticism that season...

2 minutes ago, 1nickydevlin said:

I liked tomi .and I was Disappointed to see him leave at the time and then along came dipo.

Who I've noticed hasn't played in any of Yorks preseason games yet unless I've missed it .

Didn't particularly like him myself but recognise the contribution he made.

Dipo any day of the week.

54 minutes ago, Oceanlineayr said:

I find it baffling that Adeloye is usually singled out for being lazy that season in a team that had Joe Chalmers featuring in midfield.

Adeloye wasn't single out. I was just responding to a rumour that Partick were after him. If the rumour mill threw up Chalmers, Fjortoft or half the duds we had in the Hopkin/Duffy era then i'd have said they were pish and likely to still be pish at whatever team was going after them.

53 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

You quite clearly completely devalue your argument when you call him pish though. 

I’m not saying it is the case with you, but in some places there absolutely were those kind of attitudes. 

But it's still outrageous to imply that if you didn't rate Tomi then you must have some background racist vibe about you. It's mad. 

I devalue my argument by having a view contrary to yours? I think he's crap. That's it. I was glad he went as I thought we could've done better. It's a valid enough opinion to have on a player. I also thought that about nigh on every player in that team. 

Edited by Coollestersmoothe

Even likening Adeloye to Chalmers and Fjortoft is fucking wild.

Anyone viewing it objectively can recognise that Adeloye was the pick of that team. Some of the other players are still here and they didn't contribute anywhere near to the same degree as Adeloye. 

Adeloye was a good player in a terrible team. Only a handful of Ayr players have ever scored more than him at this level. 

It's not really difficult to understand why some think there is an unconscious bias edge to this. Objectively, Tomi was anything but pish.

3 minutes ago, Hawk89 said:

Won't have a bad word said about Fjortoft, his contribution from the sidelines against QotS was class. 

His wrestling moves in the games against Killie at Somerset were not welcome. He simply wasn't a footballer.

6 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

We can put to bed any chance of Adeloye coming back as Bullen basically called him lazy at that Q&A night which a lot of people already called. 

He wasn’t half as good as he thinks he is and unless Doolan is switching things up formation wise I don’t think he’ll enjoy not being the main man. 

But weird he offered him a new deal if he thought he was lazy.  

Tomi was a massive player for us that season. The only reasonable criticism of him was that he possibly had more potential than he showed but there could be any number of reasons for that, most probably because most of the others around him were dugmeat. 

I don't like the way he left, it would have been much better if he had just said he was going straight away rather than the merry dance but that's just modern football.  

No point in getting hung up on someone who was here two seasons ago, much more interested in this year

I'm glad to hear Amartey is coming on to a game, was a bit worried after Stirling but hopefully the adaptation to full time will suit him, and very excited to see Rose play. It's going to be hard for him to avoid comparisons to Dipo so people would do well to be patient if he gets off to a slow start.

Definitely still need new full backs and perhaps a more creative option in midfield, but feeling better about the season ahead compared to a few weeks ago.