The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

30 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

Exactly. Shankland was pretty much on his last attempt at s decent level of football when McCall signed him. 

He done an interview with the record I think that he was thinking of quitting altogether but went and bought a ball from sports direct and had went down his local park himself for a kick about .5-6 years later he's arguably the best striker in Scotland. 

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

This is the thing about "stats" and why people shouldn't over analyze everything as players perform differently when placed with other players in different surroundings playing different styles.

Take any world class centre forward who's ended up at Chelsea, their stats based on their time at Chelsea will have them utter tossers and lucky to get a game at League 1 level.

We've seen it ourselves with umpteen players at Ayr over the years, some have come with big reputations and always looked great against us but when pulling on the Black and White have looked like they were playing with a square ball !!

There's also been guys who've failed miserably elsewhere but found themselves down in the sea air of fortress somerset.

The bottom line is that you just never know until they actually start playing (or not as the case may be).......

Yeah - stats just give you an idea, ultimately a manager needs to be able to create a team of players that compliment each other’s strengths and weaknesses. I would be fascinated what the club are looking for when identifying these type of players based on stats though. 

19 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Yeah - stats just give you an idea, ultimately a manager needs to be able to create a team of players that compliment each other’s strengths and weaknesses. I would be fascinated what the club are looking for when identifying these type of players based on stats though. 

I still think there's definitely a place for "old school" scouting where someone is actually watching a player in the flesh and seeing the positions they take up and how they react in real time and even how vocal they are on the pitch with team mates etc.

One of the things I think we still lack is leadership on the pitch, hopefully guys like McGeady and Murphy can add that although finding someone like a Steven Bell or Mark Kerr would also be a great thing for our current side as we seem to have so much youth and inexperience through the defence and Midfield with the little experience that we actually have being up the top side of the pitch.

4 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I still think there's definitely a place for "old school" scouting where someone is actually watching a player in the flesh and seeing the positions they take up and how they react in real time and even how vocal they are on the pitch with team mates etc.

One of the things I think we still lack is leadership on the pitch, hopefully guys like McGeady and Murphy can add that although finding someone like a Steven Bell or Mark Kerr would also be a great thing for our current side as we seem to have so much youth and inexperience through the defence and Midfield with the little experience that we actually have being up the top side of the pitch.

In an ideal world I think you see a player playing live on top of the analysis stuff too, yeah. It’s probably not going to be possible with our CM recruitment though.

A player like that would be a game changer for us - bur unfortunately it seems very unlikely. Annoyingly, if the injuries were two weeks ago we could have tried to get Shaun Byrne in. 

For Ayr to progress to the next level, they need to appoint a proper coach with philosophy and style of play drilled into the players.

Bullen is quite a good manager, good with people and generally well liked and respected but is tactically limited.  He’s clearly unable to solidify a style of play when the going gets tough that doesn’t extend beyond raw hard work and relying on individual brilliance/luck. 

If Bullen was to embrace the ‘managers’ role and appoint a coach like Alex Ferguson did with Carlos Queiriz to do the work on the pitch tactically and drill a style of play into squad it would balance out his tactical deficiencies. 

2 minutes ago, AnonGuy7991 said:

For Ayr to progress to the next level, they need to appoint a proper coach with philosophy and style of play drilled into the players.

Bullen is quite a good manager, good with people and generally well liked and respected but is tactically limited.  He’s clearly unable to solidify a style of play when the going gets tough that doesn’t extend beyond raw hard work and relying on individual brilliance/luck. 

If Bullen was to embrace the ‘managers’ role and appoint a coach like Alex Ferguson did with Carlos Queiriz to do the work on the pitch tactically and drill a style of play into squad it would balance out his tactical deficiencies. 

I don't think many of us would argue with any of that.

5 minutes ago, AnonGuy7991 said:

Good move for him. Will get more money and the opportunity to play as a #9 in a team that try to play total football. All the best to him 

Whoever it is are utterly fucked if he is the number nine in a team attempting to play total football. 

23 minutes ago, AnonGuy7991 said:

Good move for him. Will get more money and the opportunity to play as a #9 in a team that try to play total football. All the best to him 

Is it Coleraine? They are due to play Hamilton