The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

2 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

You know very well that we had an extended injury crisis, during which we couldn’t buy a win… except when we played Ayr.

Our form compared to yours since we got players back is the very definition of ‘doing much better’.

If you persist with your manager, you’ll finish 9th or 10th. This is fact.

(And Partick are clearly not better than a full-strength Morton, as today demonstrated pretty well; very little between the two teams.)

Well, we are, because we are 10pts ahead of you in the league. 

4 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

You know very well that we had an extended injury crisis, during which we couldn’t buy a win… except when we played Ayr.

Our form compared to yours since we got players back is the very definition of ‘doing much better’.

(And Partick are clearly not better than a full-strength Morton, as today demonstrated pretty well; very little between the two teams.)

No Ayr fan are disagreeing with you on this. 

2 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Thanks for the weak attempt at a lecture there. 

Thistle are better than all the teams below them. Individual results (a draw in this case) doesn’t alter that. Morton are in a fine run of form but a six point gap in this league does not mean you are doing that much better. Should the gap increase and the threat of relegation disappear then I would agree but for now, everyone below third is all much of a muchness. 

6 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

No Ayr fan are disagreeing with you on this. 

Wattoo sitting at home contemplating making a new account just to try and argue this. 

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

Thanks for the weak attempt at a lecture there. 

Thistle are better than all the teams below them. Individual results (a draw in this case) doesn’t alter that. Morton are in a fine run of form but a six point gap in this league does not mean you are doing that much better. Should the gap increase and the threat of relegation disappear then I would agree but for now, everyone below third is all much of a muchness. 

Since when did pointing out facts become a ‘lecture’?

We’re well aware that we need a few more results to establish clear blue water between us and the bottom end, but let’s not pretend there’s any vague comparison between Morton and Ayr over this season; I’d have thought 9 points from 9 in the head-to-head would have been enough to confirm that… but let’s throw in a functional squad… and a more than competent manager.

1 hour ago, Coollestersmoothe said:

Nobody was frothing over any of the signings. Chalmers maybe met with some at least not entirely apathetic response, but the rest were met with confusion and largely fruitless Googling sessions to find out who these non-entities we were signing were. 

Mmm no, if you actually rewind things back before your first league game at Cappielow, I think you'll find that you were in fact pretty happy between the likes of Jamie Murphy who you added to the squad, as well as the multiple non-league players from England, at least one of which was naturally going to deliver like 'Dipo'. Optimism is nothing to be embarrassed about - it's the point of following a football club - but to claim it never happened now that things have gone sour doesn't cut it. 

And that's before you topped up your luxury sand-dancer stockpile with Logan Chalmers too. 

The business model, such as it is, seems alright. Most of it’s coming straight out of the chairman’s pocket. We’re not relying on revenue to build the new stand, or improve facilities around the stadium

So how is it credible then for Ayr fans to criticise the club for *not spending money* to avoid your current predicament?

Your club and owner has spent money. It has just done so in a relatively incompetent manner.

Just now, virginton said:

Mmm no, if you actually rewind things back before your first league game at Cappielow, I think you'll find that you were in fact pretty happy between the likes of Jamie Murphy who you added to the squad, as well as the multiple non-league players from England, at least one of which was naturally going to deliver like 'Dipo'. Optimism is nothing to be embarrassed about - it's the point of following a football club - but to claim it never happened now that things have gone sour doesn't cut it. 

And that's before you topped up your luxury sand-dancer stockpile with Logan Chalmers too. 

So how is it credible then for Ayr fans to criticise the club for *not spending money* to avoid your current predicament?

Your club and owner has spent money. It has just done so in a relatively incompetent manner.

Word salad

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

I imagine it’s pretty difficult to convince anyone to sign for us given the manager. 

This 100%. Hopefully he's gone by monday.

8 minutes ago, virginton said:

I have to slightly agree with you, it does look from the outside in that, We were successful with Dipo so another would be no bother to find in the English lower league.

That being said, Amartey looks a player, unfortunately we have a manager who keeps him on the bench 😒

We are at the end of the days, only fans of our respective teams, so it's really just guesses as to where any money goes.

1 minute ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Since when did pointing out facts become a ‘lecture’?

We’re well aware that we need a few more results to establish clear blue water between us and the bottom end, but let’s not pretend there’s any vague comparison between Morton and Ayr over this season; I’d have thought 9 points from 9 in the head-to-head would have been enough to confirm that… but let’s throw in a functional squad… and a more than competent manager.

Since when were opinions confused with facts? 

Yes, in the head to head games, Greenock Morton have been better than Ayr. My point remains that six points wouldn’t be enough for me to believe we were so far ahead of another team or doing so much better.

3 minutes ago, virginton said:

The optimism wasn’t there. I don’t think any Ayr fan has felt much optimism since we were emptied out the Scottish Cup by Falkirk. The humiliation felt in the playoffs probably led to the most abject close season felt by the club in a while. We were relegated in 2017 and felt more optimistic about the club than we did over last summer. 

The club have spent money but the frustration comes from fans thinking we should be doing what Raith have done and signed proven quality at this level. Many people fail to comprehend why that has been challenging for Ayr especially after a second place finish. I have my own theories on why this has been hard but who knows how accurate it is. 

TLDR: you are correct that Ayr have spent money. David Smith cannot be criticised for that. He can be criticised if we go down and we’ve kept our existing manager in place. However I think you’ve misjudged the feelings of the fan base prior to the season starting. 

4 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Since when were opinions confused with facts? 

Yes, in the head to head games, Greenock Morton have been better than Ayr. My point remains that six points wouldn’t be enough for me to believe we were so far ahead of another team or doing so much better.

Ok, let’s stick strictly to facts:

9 out of 9 in the head-to-head

Morton 18 from the last 8, as opposed to Ayr 6 from the last 7.

If you want to persist in thinking that means nobody’s doing much better than anyone else, I’ll leave you to it.

Edited by The Ghost of B A R P

3 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Ok, let’s stick strictly to facts:

9 out of 9 in the head-to-head

Morton 18 from the last 8, as opposed to Ayr 6 from the last 7.

If you want to persist in thinking that means nobody’s doing much better than anyone else, I’ll leave you to it.

Thanks, I think I will. 

Just now, The Ghost of B A R P said:

A guy who jumps on to another thread to red dot posts that have nothing to do with the current discussion claiming a ‘head’s gone’?!

Seek help, fud.

Have a red dot, it appears it annoys you