The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Just now, callum-ayr said:

Albinson

McHugh  Sanders  McGinty  Reading

Amartey  Syla  Dempsey  Murphy

Willoughby  Dowds

Subs: Mutch, Musonda, Stanger, McAllister, Smith, Tomlinson, McGeady, McKenzie, Bryden

Would fancy something along those lines for tomorrow.

I don’t see the new guys starting tomorrow. I think they will get time from the bench 

12 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

I like this, I just hope that brown doesn’t go with mcgeady instead of Amartey

If McGeady starts tomorrow then 43% of his league starts this season will have been against Dundee United. Imagine that stat would stay the same once Brown watches him start a game.

1 hour ago, callum-ayr said:

Albinson

McHugh  Sanders  McGinty  Reading

Amartey  Syla  Dempsey  Murphy

Willoughby  Dowds

Subs: Mutch, Musonda, Stanger, McAllister, Smith, Tomlinson, McGeady, McKenzie, Bryden

If Scott Brown ever settled for a first 11 in the next few weeks, then add Logan at the expense of Armartey  to the above and that'll be his best team Id reckon .

I would be playing a 4-3-3 on Saturday tbh. Sit in and be hard to beat and look to the pace of Amartey on the break. If McHugh is as described and is a box to box player with tons of energy he might be worth a start as the third central midfielder. 

Having a more solid RB in Stanger or Sanders should hopefully give Amartey a bit more freedom to do that too. 

Chalmers and Dowds have kind of been getting an easy ride of late, so hopefully both will get a bit of a wake up call with Brown arriving. .  Based on their performances over the last couple of months, you wouldn’t be rushing to offer them terms for next season, though the potential is definitely there.  

1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:

The betting sites are giving us good odds to beat United. The bookies have hammered me in recent weeks but I feel confident we can get a win. They've been no great shakes recently and with Browns first home game surely we are due a win 🤞

I'd settle for some decent home form in front of a big crowd. 'Mon Ayr

Players dip in form - it doesn’t mean they need a wake up call. It just happens, they won’t be consistent over an entire season. 

Said this earlier, but Dowds held the ball up well on Saturday and as usual put in a power of work. He needs a goal - which hopefully he’ll get soon. 

Chalmers has seven goals and three assists in eighteen appearances so I would very much be rushing to give him signing terms. In the last seven games he has scored three times, he maybe hasn’t been at his best performance levels but I’m not entirely sure how much people expect over a season! 

Chalmers and Murphy were both playing narrower for most of the Queens Park game, Chalmers was never given the chance to run at the full back. Almost every pass to him ended up in an immediate pass to a team mate. Once Bryden came on, he was pushed wider and got some decent runs and crosses. They were a man down as well though.

Dowds hasn’t had much service and is playing more of a McKenzie role now, he’s moving out wide and coming deep. 

Possibly more that teams are getting wise to us and we need to change our set-up

15 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Good to see that Chalmers has inherited Adeloye's position as person who is described as shiftless and unimportant if he doesn't carry the entire team for two weeks.

I have been highly impressed with Chalmers since his return. He's looked even better than he did last season.

To be fair it's unrealistic to expect any of our players to be fantastic every week. If they were capable of that then they would be playing at a higher level than this.

It's a long season. They're all bound to have good spells and less productive ones, but what matters are the results on the pitch which will hopefully be improved now with the new manager.

33 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Good to see that Chalmers has inherited Adeloye's position as person who is described as shiftless and unimportant if he doesn't carry the entire team for two weeks.

Has anybody said that? My reading of the 2 or so comments that referenced Chalmers is that his form has went from stellar to so-so in the last few games. Which is largely true tbh. 

Fwiw I thought chalmers looked alright on Saturday. For the most part posed a threat and looked creative. 

Edited by Coollestersmoothe

6 minutes ago, Coollestersmoothe said:

Has anybody said that? My reading of the 2 or so comments that referenced Chalmers is that their form has went from stellar to so-so in the last few games. Which is largely true tbh. 

Fwiw I thought chalmers looked alright on Saturday. For the most part posed a threat and looked creative. 

Using the words “coasting” “needing a wake up call” and needing a “kick up the arse” absolutely suggests that. 

I think we became extraordinarily tolerant of mediocrity under Bullen.  Everyone just got a pat on the head for turning up and trying hard - I think Brown will turn that around and demand a lot more from the players than we’ve been getting of late.  Perhaps that’s why we haven’t made any significant moves in the transfer window - we’re gambling that Brown can get more out of the existing squad than Bullen ever did.  

I’m pretty sceptical if I’m honest as I do think there is a fundamental lack of quality and experience throughout the team, but it’s where we are I guess.  I think Chalmers has suffered because we move the ball about so slowly that we simply can’t create the space for him to go and stretch teams, but equally, save for individual moments of quality, I’d say he’s been pretty poor of late.  I absolutely would try and sign Chalmers for next season, but equally, you can see why Dundee Utd threw in the towel with him - he’s a player that simply must find more consistency.

Dowds probably just needs a competent striker playing alongside him as he’s decent at championship level, but not good enough to play the forward line by himself.

I do think that Chalmers needs some sort of direction or instruction from the manager. I do not believe he is of the level to be given complete freedom to do what he wants as he seemed to suggest he had under Bullen. He is undoubtedly one of the better players in this league and is one of maybe three players who kept us afloat under Bullen.