The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

We've actually been quite blessed in the goalkeeping department in recent years.

From Fleming on it's been pretty good, no?

edit; just remembered the Hart/Ruddie debacle. Apart from that though....

Edited by UpInTheAyr

I recall him punching too often and every time he did it, the ball landed at an opposition player who scored. At least it felt that way. I was always screaming at him to catch the ball.

Just now, Trogdor said:

I recall him punching too often and every time he did it, the ball landed at an opposition player who scored. At least it felt that way. I was always screaming at him to catch the ball.

Yeah he permanently looked like he was playing volleyball.

16 minutes ago, Highland Exile said:

Albinson's goalkeeping in both goals looks pretty dreadful from this angle, Murphy's goal still a humdinger...:

Wish I felt the positivity other people felt after yesterday. I know we played well but to come away with nothing due to two horrific pieces of goalkeeping like that could come back to haunt us. Brutal.

I imagine it’ll be entering the management teams thinking whether we can still upgrade the goalkeeping department in this window and get one of our other keepers out on loan. 

If Albinson’s confidence completely goes we are in huge trouble. Mutch wasn’t great at all, but he wasn’t making errors quite as blatant as Albinson has since returning. 

1 minute ago, No_Problemo said:

I imagine it’ll be entering the management teams thinking whether we can still upgrade the goalkeeping department in this window and get one of our other keepers out on loan. 

If Albinson’s confidence completely goes we are in huge trouble. Mutch wasn’t great at all, but he wasn’t making errors quite as blatant as Albinson has since returning. 

Mutch looked at his sketchiest with the ball at his feet and trying to play out from the back. Not confident at all doing that.

Those were both howlers yesterday though. The 2nd in particular. I don't think dropping Albinson is the answer though. We know he's capable and he just seems to be going through a bad spell.

No amount of coaching can make a keeper forget how to make basic saves, so I'm a bit skeptical that it's that.

Mutch cannot be the answer. I've not seen him make a save other than routine ones. He's not stopped one where I've thought it was a great save whereas Albinson does that all the time. It is premature to be thinking of swapping them. I'd stick with Charlie for the moment, worst case in a couple of weeks we look for a goalie on loan.

2 minutes ago, Scott-ish said:

Mutch looked at his sketchiest with the ball at his feet and trying to play out from the back. Not confident at all doing that.

Those were both howlers yesterday though. The 2nd in particular. I don't think dropping Albinson is the answer though. We know he's capable and he just seems to be going through a bad spell.

No amount of coaching can make a keeper forget how to make basic saves, so I'm a bit skeptical that it's that.

Haha yeah, I think the fact he’s built like a rake also unnerves you slightly!

2 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Mutch cannot be the answer. I've not seen him make a save other than routine ones. He's not stopped one where I've thought it was a great save whereas Albinson does that all the time. It is premature to be thinking of swapping them. I'd stick with Charlie for the moment, worst case in a couple of weeks we look for a goalie on loan.

I wouldn’t be swapping them either tbf, I don’t think it has helped matters. I was just talking generally about blatant howlers - completely agree with your points. Mutch was poor at the fourth goal for Raith, but it wasn’t quite the level of yesterday…

You need to be careful when dealing with a goalkeeper as it's a position that's so significantly influenced by confidence.  It's an exposed position in the sense that a mistake will more often than not cause a goal, but it's also painfully more obvious when a goalkeeper is struggling for confidence. 

I think Charlie is a good goalkeeper, we've seen that plenty of times - especially last year - but he has made a couple of mistakes recently. Some of those are compounded by further errors because he's probably under pressure, either from himself or from management (getting dropped after the last Dundee Utd game being an example). 

He won't have all of a sudden become a bad keeper, but I do understand why people are frustrated.  It just causes further problems if you start to chop and change in lieu of an obvious available upgrade.

2 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Craig Nelson is still my favourite Ayr United goalkeeper. A legend.

Henry Smith was mine

I think he even scored for us once