The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Same. He’s an over hyped player that people on here seem desperate to sign. Saying that , if he comes back then it’s another body in the ranks 

Drinan gave us something completely different, he allowed us to change our style and he gave us 100% in every match and hustled and harried the opposition defences, I'll grant you that he didn't look like a 30 goal a season striker, but he still made a very positive impact on our side.

All that being said, I'd much prefer a silky footballing type striker but then again we're in the second tier of Scottish Football, so possibly not so easy to come by.

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

Drinan gave us something completely different, he allowed us to change our style and he gave us 100% in every match and hustled and harried the opposition defences, I'll grant you that he didn't look like a 30 goal a season striker, but he still made a very positive impact on our side.

All that being said, I'd much prefer a silky footballing type striker but then again we're in the second tier of Scottish Football, so possibly not so easy to come by.

This!

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

That could be any one of us on here, at a fraction of the price. 

Let's get away from the long held belief in Scottish football and beyond that strikers should work hard and have a nuisance value. 

Their 1st job is to convert the chances that come their way. If we've got hopes of a top half finish or perhaps sneaking into the playoffs then we're looking at having a main striker who's getting 15 - 20 goals in a typical season. 

Sorry but Drinan just isn't that guy. 

4 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

That could be any one of us on here, at a fraction of the price. 

Let's get away from the long held belief in Scottish football and beyond that strikers should work hard and have a nuisance value. 

Their 1st job is to convert the chances that come their way. If we've got hopes of a top half finish or perhaps sneaking into the playoffs then we're looking at having a main striker who's getting 15 - 20 goals in a typical season. 

Sorry but Drinan just isn't that guy. 

I'm a great believer that your striker / strikers harrying and closing down causes mistakes and gives the opposing team serious issues which creates chances from nothing. Bryan Prunty was a prime example of this and we were always a better team when Prunty played, even if his goals had dried up.

Again, I'd prefer us to play the possession based quick passing game which probably doesn't include a guy like Drinan, however there's always a time and a place for a change of style and personnel.

4 hours ago, itzdrk said:

Heard third (fourth?) hand a rumour that we have goalkeepers in at training from two English teams. Could be entirely made up but fits with how I presume we will go about looking for a goalkeeper. 

Your source is 100% correct , a Premiership and Championship club 

3 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I'm a great believer that your striker / strikers harrying and closing down causes mistakes and gives the opposing team serious issues which creates chances from nothing. Bryan Prunty was a prime example of this and we were always a better team when Prunty played, even if his goals had dried up.

Again, I'd prefer us to play the possession based quick passing game which probably doesn't include a guy like Drinan, however there's always a time and a place for a change of style and personnel.

If we had the budget to bring him in and play a secondary role fair enough but I doubt we will have, or even to play alongside somebody which I can't see either. 

There'd be no point in bringing in the likes of Walsh and Zanatta to play alongside the likes of Murdoch and McGowan to just bang it long to the big guy. 

Goals win games and there's no doubt we are more of a threat to the opposition when we work the ball through the thirds with a tempo to our play and run at teams. 

Countered by saying we went through the spell last season around Dunfermline away and the Scottish Cup home games when it was more about perspiration than it was inspiration. 

I get there's more than one way to win games but we've definitely got to play to the strengths of the squad that we're building. 

17 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Craig Moore is a use for hurrying down defenders and goalkeepers. Both Moore and Prunty could score goals in the third tier but never proved themselves higher. 

Drinan is very much a mold of a Jordan Preston with his presence but with a bit more quality. 

Edited by THEHonestman1910

21 minutes ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

Craig Moore is a use for hurrying down defenders and goalkeepers. Both Moore and Prunty could score goals in the third tier but never proved themselves higher. 

Drinan is very much a mold of a Jordan Preston with his presence but with a bit more quality. 

Yes, I would agree with this, I do feel for Moore though as reckon he could kick on if just staying injury free.

24 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

If we had the budget to bring him in and play a secondary role fair enough but I doubt we will have, or even to play alongside somebody which I can't see either. 

There'd be no point in bringing in the likes of Walsh and Zanatta to play alongside the likes of Murdoch and McGowan to just bang it long to the big guy. 

Goals win games and there's no doubt we are more of a threat to the opposition when we work the ball through the thirds with a tempo to our play and run at teams. 

Countered by saying we went through the spell last season around Dunfermline away and the Scottish Cup home games when it was more about perspiration than it was inspiration. 

I get there's more than one way to win games but we've definitely got to play to the strengths of the squad that we're building. 

Yes, I do actually agree with you as would always prefer us playing the fast attacking style as at times we're unplayable and just superb to watch.

So two keepers training with us from English clubs . Would it be safe to say they are this weeks loan options ? That being the case the permanent signing then has to be a striker or a midfielder . If it’s a striker ,then that would rule out Drinan . I’m more inclined to think it’s a midfielder , as Murdock must be a worry ,while we’re pretty short in that area .

The striker debate is interesting , but the advantage a proper centre forward  up top who can hold up the ball gives you is that apart from everything already mention ,he can buy a defence some time to reset before they are perhaps attacked again. Nothing worse than clearing your lines only for another wave of attack hitting you before you have your line set and advancing to press ...

28 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Yes, I do actually agree with you as would always prefer us playing the fast attacking style as at times we're unplayable and just superb to watch.

We haven’t played that since McCall left. Kerr tends to be a fan of the more direct stuff which is absolutely fine.  I’d say that’s why he’s trying to add a bit more height to the team. 

3 minutes ago, North British said:

So two keepers training with us from English clubs . Would it be safe to say they are this weeks loan options ? That being the case the permanent signing then has to be a striker or a midfielder . If it’s a striker ,then that would rule out Drinan . I’m more inclined to think it’s a midfielder , as Murdock must be a worry ,while we’re pretty short in that area .

The striker debate is interesting , but the advantage a proper centre forward  up top who can hold up the ball gives you is that apart from everything already mention ,he can buy a defence some time to reset before they are perhaps attacked again. Nothing worse than clearing your lines only for another wave of attack hitting you before you have your line set and advancing to press ...

Murdoch is showing up tremendously well in training , showing no side effects to his injury last year 

5 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

Not that I am aware of , but I am led to believe both have played in  either this seasons EFL Trophy or Caraboa Cup competition 

I see Sunderland beat a Premier League side in the Caraboa Cup 8-1 :eek:

Edited by itzdrk