The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

7 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Wouldn't be against it. interesting rather than exciting 

Just thinking about Kevin Thomson leaving the set up to get into club management, would imagine Gilmour will be looking to do the same. 

Means O'Dea could be a strong shout too, just my gut feeling about Gilmour. 

This is getting pretty interesting now . You have three clear groups of potential head coaches for our club .The outsiders: older guys who are out of work, usual suspects plus Tommy Wight , pro’s are easy to get , cons are they are unlikely to love the director of football business .  The favourites: Murray , Mcfadden , Barkley , Thomson , the pros , bright young things , fresh are bursting with energy . The cons : pretty short cv’s . Then there is the wild cards : guys still playing but wanting to get started in management. The pro’s , we can get a cracking player for a season or so , worked with Burley not so much with Stainrod . The cons : total punt on how they might be in management . 

14 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

He's one of these managers where his assistant was rumoured to be the brains of the operation. Dodds wasn't at Dundee with him and seems to be doing an above average job at Inverness.  

No idea if that is the case. He's been interviewed by two different Ayr chairmen and been overlooked twice, he's also not been in the frame for any other job so there is either something wrong or hes shite at interviews. He's been away to long now from the game so I doubt he'll be not be back. 

Hide contents

Now I've said this, he'll be paraded tomorrow, scarf above head the lot. 

Dodds wasnt his assistant with us (though he did do volunteer coaching 2 or 3 days a week) and I dont think he was at Dunfermline either.

I know Jim personally. I dont think he needed anybody else to be the 'brains'. Very driven and very much his own man. He been out of the game what, 2 years, a chunk of which was Covid shutdown. He does need to get back in but guys like McGlynn, McCall, Levein to name but 3 had longer spells out of it.

I think I'd rather have an unknown quantity with potential as opposed to a current League 1 Manager who's pretty much a known known.

The likes of the high profile candidates that have been mentioned (Levein, Ross etc) are unlikely to want a purely coaching type position and are probably well out of our reach anyway. It also remains to be seen if something like "Levein ball" would go down well at Somerset in the first place.

This pretty much gives us either an up and coming / ambitious lower league Manager or a current coach at a higher level club, so for me I'd probably prefer the McManus type appointment as opposed to a Murray or even Murphy type appointment but that's just me.

2 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I wouldn’t be against many of the appointments suggested, it’s all about the coaching team around them though!

There are very few I'd be against, a lot maybe need a new challenge or a right fit so managers that have failed elsewhere might thrive at another club so once they are appointed you just have to see how they get on. 

Having said that, I think we are at a level now where we should expect candidates to be of a certain calibre. We shouldn't be appointing whoever is floating about the main stand when the current manager is sacked like we have done in the past. Everyone considered this time should be vetted to be 100% capable of managing or coaching a full time team. 

13 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Right i'm putting my neck out on the line 

It'll be Brian Gilmour...

Even though I suggested his name ages ago I'm now against it as I asked McBookie to put him and Marc Smyth on the list and then they took the market down before I could bet. So I'll need to back my original bet of Stephen McManus and then we'll all act surprised when it's Bartley after all.  

Jim McIntyre was a poisonous presence at Dens. Many of our volunteers including our match day reporter, and our head of media have alluded to the fact that they'd have left the club if McIntyre stayed in charge such was the atmosphere he was creating amongst staff and volunteers.

He's an odious individual.

Obviously a much lesser incident, but a highlight of his character is that after he relegated us, he was paraded on the pitch for Dundee United's very next home game waving a United scarf above his head.

Plus, he's an absolutely horrific manager.

2 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

The likes of the high profile candidates that have been mentioned (Levein, Ross etc) are unlikely to want a purely coaching type position and are probably well out of our reach anyway. It also remains to be seen if something like "Levein ball" would go down well at Somerset in the first place.

Mathie was very careful to point out it was a head coach or manager, so if any decent names came forward that wanted to be "manager" then that would be the title. 

The set up is gearing towards a head coach but I'm sure it would be modified for the right person. 

5 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Come on... someone must know. Spill.

@rb123! What about your recon of the stadium? Any interesting comings or goings. If it was Teams/Zoom interviews your stakeout will have been for naught.

I thought it was going to be Bartly but going by what @Finlay21 says it's looking unlikely. 

Still think it'll be a young and upcoming guy who's doing youth or reserve coaching now. 

Could be anyone from Gilmour, O'Dea, McManus, Thomson, Bartley or Ian Cathro.....

14 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

How do you think he'd work with someone like Mathie? Another opinion on recruitment, backed up by analysis. 

I dont know. He didnt have that here and whilst I've met Graeme Mathie a couple of times, I dont know him well. 

I'm not saying Ayr should be appointing McIntyre. Mathie will have his own candidates in mind and not having given him thd job twice, he is unlikely to get it 3rd time. There's also the ex Killie factor. 

I'm just saying generally, not specific to Ayr, I dont get the general perception that McIntyre is some sort of Gary Locke like figure. You can make a very good case for him having performed at least to expectations, if not above them, at three of his four clubs as manager.

I hasn’t realised McCann turned down staying on with Inverness, as well as the Falkirk job due to taking up a role at a sports agency so o van cross him off the list in my head. 

Taking out the more unrealistic shouts, i think my preference would be either Bartley or Thomson. If we are looking at more inexperienced guys then it really is impossible to know without being in the interview. Bartley has had more media exposure so you have a better feeling about him, but I would like to think all of these guys can analyse a game. I would rather someone with some experience of coaching senior football though, as opposed to just youth teams.