The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Just now, Richey Edwards said:

To me it does.

Some might say it was "only" a League One title, but to me it was one of the best days of my life.

Mine too. 👍

I have bigger ambitions and hope the club can achieve more but that was a great day and season. I know it's not a national cup or the top league but it was still something.

17 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Mine too. 👍

I have bigger ambitions and hope the club can achieve more but that was a great day and season. I know it's not a national cup or the top league but it was still something.

Yeah, when I said I wished we would win something I was talking about one of the cups. The top league would be nice but I don't think the Glasgow arsecheeks stranglehold on the league will be broken any time soon.

53 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Oh, and remember that no matter how bad things get as an Ayr United fan - at least you don't support one of the Glasgow Arsecheeks.

What a miserable existence that would be.

Anyone growing up in the west of Scotland and not becoming a bigot/bigot apologist = good guy

15 minutes ago, Number1IsJamieAdams said:

We should beat Raith next week with them having nothing to play for and 2 players sent off today.

Happy second day on Earth!

In all honesty, today's results went about as well as they could, with the exception of Morten. Win next weekend and hope that Queens Park win as well and a draw in Inverness will be enough. Fail to win and sixth beckons.

Edited by Thumper

3 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

My Papa supported Ayr United for over 70 years and used to say that he wanted to see Ayr United win something before he died. He never got to see that, and probably neither will I.

Following a team like Ayr United can be a frustrating and masochistic experience. I sometimes wonder why the hell I put myself through it.

The answer to why I put myself through it is that I love this club. It is my hometown club and I am proud to call Ayr United my team. Despite all of the disappointment and heartache involved in following Ayr United, the club has given me moments of pure joy and elation that will live with me forever.

Yes, I wish we would win SOMETHING. However, that's not the most important thing. If it was, there would be no point in most of the clubs in Scotland existing. What's important is that this is OUR club, regardless of their fortunes.

BTW I didn't sleep last night so if this is a pure nonsensical ramble, I do apologise.

Excellent post and I'd say there's around 1,500 of us with similar views on things and hence the reason our support never reaches the heights that it should.

I'm not being critical of anyone in particular, however it's really struck me over the past few weeks reading this forum where there's been comments such as "can't be bothered going", "really couldn't care less", "sorry, I've better things to do" etc, etc and this is in a season where we've been doing great for the most part.

That of course is completely up to the individual, however it does annoy people like myself who go to support the team through thick and thin , good and bad but then get a hard time from folk who by their own admission couldn't even be bothered going !!

Call me a happy clapper all you like, but if I only went to Ayr games to see silky football and to win trophy after trophy then I'd say I was probably going to the wrong place, for me (and many others) it's all about supporting your local team, meeting up with your pals for the day and having a team of guys on the pitch who at least are competitive and give you a bit of hope, so for me all those boxes are ticked and the infrastructure of the club both on and off the pitch are undoubtedly moving forward at pace, which is something that cannot be said of the last 35 years or so, that's for sure.

Producing your own players is also a huge thing for any club and our Academy seems to be in a fantastic position with lots of players attracting attention both internally and externally at a very high level.

I honestly think this is a time where our fans should be looking to the future with great optimism as the club is surely only going in the one direction at the moment, irrespective of any disappointing recent results or performances.

4 points from our final 2 games will hopefully be enough to see a top 4 finish and that's got to be seen as a success as we continue to consolidate and move forward as a 2nd tier club with realistic aspirations of making the top league in the next few years and that's something which seemed a million miles away only a few years ago.......

37 minutes ago, Number1IsJamieAdams said:

We should beat Raith next week with them having nothing to play for and 2 players sent off today. 

We could do with Josh Mullin fit again out wide and even playing with 2 up front. It leaves us a bit exposed but we also look more likely to score. 

3 points next week and then see where we are! 

I think there is a debate to be had but I genuinely don’t think we are more likely to score with two up front - we control the game far more with three in the middle whereas with two up front it inevitably just leads to a lack of control and us firing the ball long aimlessly. 

Our current formation with Chalmers and Mullin as part of a front three would have been ideal. 

But yeah - if we can’t beat Raith next week we deserve f**k all.

13 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Excellent post and I'd say there's around 1,500 of us with similar views on things and hence the reason our support never reaches the heights that it should.

I'm not being critical of anyone in particular, however it's really struck me over the past few weeks reading this forum where there's been comments such as "can't be bothered going", "really couldn't care less", "sorry, I've better things to do" etc, etc and this is in a season where we've been doing great for the most part.

That of course is completely up to the individual, however it does annoy people like myself who go to support the team through thick and thin , good and bad but then get a hard time from folk who by their own admission couldn't even be bothered going !!

Call me a happy clapper all you like, but if I only went to Ayr games to see silky football and to win trophy after trophy then I'd say I was probably going to the wrong place, for me (and many others) it's all about supporting your local team, meeting up with your pals for the day and having a team of guys on the pitch who at least are competitive and give you a bit of hope, so for me all those boxes are ticked and the infrastructure of the club both on and off the pitch are undoubtedly moving forward at pace, which is something that cannot be said of the last 35 years or so, that's for sure.

Producing your own players is also a huge thing for any club and our Academy seems to be in a fantastic position with lots of players attracting attention both internally and externally at a very high level.

I honestly think this is a time where our fans should be looking to the future with great optimism as the club is surely only going in the one direction at the moment, irrespective of any disappointing recent results or performances.

4 points from our final 2 games will hopefully be enough to see a top 4 finish and that's got to be seen as a success as we continue to consolidate and move forward as a 2nd tier club with realistic aspirations of making the top league in the next few years and that's something which seemed a million miles away only a few years ago.......

There are plenty of reasons to be optimistic about the future of the club. The club is in good hands.

I can think of nothing worse than "supporting" a club from miles away hoovering up title after title with many multiple times the budgets of every other club in the country. What satisfaction do their fans get from that? Do they even feel anything?