The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 minute ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Think he signed for Darvel. 

There were two boys from New Zealand. One was a winger who was only 18 and then there was a right back who’d been capped by the senior team. It was the 18 year old that ended up at Darvel or something like that. 

i know Bullen said Musonda would hopefully be back in time for the first league game thou i just struggle to believe it and still would not throw him straight back in, so i think it's likely gonna be McAllister and McGinty and then i think the idea of throwing a 16 year old straight into the first team for a game is ridiculous, i know Hewitt is nowhere near the level but i'd be picking him over Watret any day

9 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

There were two boys from New Zealand. One was a winger who was only 18 and then there was a right back who’d been capped by the senior team. It was the 18 year old that ended up at Darvel or something like that. 

Are you not thinking of George Stanger...he has been capped by NZ at under 20 and 23 levels and think he can play both RB and CB.

9 minutes ago, Bruadair said:

Are you not thinking of George Stanger...he has been capped by NZ at under 20 and 23 levels and think he can play both RB and CB.

No, we had two players from New Zealand in at training,  Ralph Rutherford a 18 year old winger and Callan Elliot a RB. Callan Elliot has been capped for New Zealand. 

11 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Is he any good though? Is he looking for an English club? Who knows

That's my thinking. I imagine he has come over for the summer to try and get trials in the UK and find a contract at the highest level he can. I think he is Scottish born (Dumfries).

I assume if we had him on trial a while back and have heard nothing since then he was deemed not good enough.

Edited by AuAl

Aye it was mentioned on Twitter that he was signing. Bit gutted as I thought he’d have been perfect for us although I can maybe see the club being hesitant to jump in to loan deals after what happened with Chalmers and Mullin. Think they’ll be trying to get as many players in on permanent contracts and then get loans in if necessary. 

I'm glad we aren't so reliant on loans as we were in the past.  I said last winter that I hoped the club didn't take as big a part in the loan market during the summer window - winter window makes sense as you have the player for the rest of the season and that can't be interrupted.  

Fwiw I think the big clubs will end up regretting how they behave with loan players down the line as managers will start to find it too unreliable.  

1 minute ago, itzdrk said:

I'm glad we aren't so reliant on loans as we were in the past.  I said last winter that I hoped the club didn't take as big a part in the loan market during the summer window - winter window makes sense as you have the player for the rest of the season and that can't be interrupted.  

Fwiw I think the big clubs will end up regretting how they behave with loan players down the line as managers will start to find it too unreliable.  

Have the rules changed in recent years or has the behaviour of clubs just gotten worse? 

Even as little as a few years ago you used to be able to rely on loan deal for a player. When we have Craig Moore on loan in League One and he was doing quite well there was no feeling that he’d be ripped away from us at a moments notice. 

We were done dirty in January with Chalmers being whisked away and then we ended up bent over a barrel and forced to pay over the odds for Josh Mullin which probably impacted other potential business that month. I wouldn’t be too surprised if we avoided dealing with domestic loans this season and focused on guys like Kirk who you know you’re going to have for the whole season. Certainly wouldn’t be wanting Chalmers on a loan as he wouldn’t be able to play against Dundee Utd and they’d likely do what Livingston did if he started playing well. 

Bullen saying they are trying to strengthen at full back and outwide. 

Chalmers is a target but he’s not the only one in that position so I’d imagine the club will be happy to walk away from that deal if it doesn’t suit them. 

If we could get him, a right back and a left back and offload Ashford, Hewitt and Ecrepont then I don’t think we could’ve asked for much more in this window.