The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

12 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

Morton only have 4 defenders in total on their books and one of them, Broadfoot, will be 39 in a week. None of the 4 are a right back (Broadfoot at 39 no longer counts).

We had been playing centre back Darragh O'connor there until Jack Baird got injured, reducing our number of defenders to 3 and meaning O'Connor was needed in the centre of defence again.

We have since been playing midfielder Cammy Blues there.

Blues is suspended for Saturday.

If nothing else, it could be a VERY exciting game !!!

5 minutes ago, AuAl said:

I think the financial issues at firhill were wildly overstated.

Aye, Thistle's and The Caley's financial situations seem to get the Record's and Sun's journalists rock hard and both are apparently regularly about to go bust.   They're desperate for others clubs to die due to the fans of all other clubs reaction to Rangers dying.

13 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Have the rules changed in recent years or has the behaviour of clubs just gotten worse? 

Even as little as a few years ago you used to be able to rely on loan deal for a player. When we have Craig Moore on loan in League One and he was doing quite well there was no feeling that he’d be ripped away from us at a moments notice. 

We were done dirty in January with Chalmers being whisked away and then we ended up bent over a barrel and forced to pay over the odds for Josh Mullin which probably impacted other potential business that month. I wouldn’t be too surprised if we avoided dealing with domestic loans this season and focused on guys like Kirk who you know you’re going to have for the whole season. Certainly wouldn’t be wanting Chalmers on a loan as he wouldn’t be able to play against Dundee Utd and they’d likely do what Livingston did if he started playing well. 

It definitely changed at some point but I don't think it's recently, I think the break clause came with the change from loan to temporary transfer.  Club behaviour changed, first I noticed of it up here was Rangers moving all their loan players up a level (where they could). 

We're part of the problem for taking part e.g. McInroy.  So can't really complain when it happens to us as well. 

5 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Aye, Thistle's and The Caley's financial situations seem to get the Record's and Sun's journalists rock hard and both are apparently regularly about to go bust.   They're desperate for others clubs to die due to the fans of all other clubs reaction to Rangers dying.

FINANCIAL ARMAGEDDON

6 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Nah, They love the Partick version of the Thistles as they're "everyone's favourite second team" and of course are a "Glasgow institution".

2 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

It definitely changed at some point but I don't think it's recently, I think the break clause came with the change from loan to temporary transfer.  Club behaviour changed, first I noticed of it up here was Rangers moving all their loan players up a level (where they could). 

We're part of the problem for taking part e.g. McInroy.  So can't really complain when it happens to us as well. 

Aye I suppose Airdrie got stuffed when he left them and we picked him up. 

I got the impression from Mathie and Bullen at the Q&A that loans would be kept to a minimum. January is fine as you say but getting them in this early is risky as you will probably have to replace them at some point. 

1 minute ago, WATTOO said:

Nah, They love the Partick version of the Thistles as they're "everyone's favourite second team" and of course are a "Glasgow institution".

I think the attitude is shifting to Queens Park tbh. Well, until they go down the tube that is. 

7 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Don't disagree on the actions of the rags, but it was the Partick fans group that were painting the bleakest picture of their fortunes.

Cash reserves down to a couple of hundred grand, lowest level in years.

Set a budget banking on promotion and nothing else.

Would have ran out of cash had it not been for the Rangers game.

Cloak and dagger accounting from the old board.

11 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

If nothing else, it could be a VERY exciting game !!!

Could even be heading for a reprise of the opening game from a few years ago when Hopkin decided Robbie Muirhead should be a full back against you lot.

Just now, Jamie_M said:

Could even be heading for a reprise of the opening game from a few years ago when Hopkin decided Robbie Muirhead should be a full back against you lot.

Henk van Shaik putting in one of the most hilarious defensive displays I’ve seen at Somerset. Made a 34 year old Moffat look ten years younger. 

Hard to believe that was four years ago now and both clubs have had a few different managers since then. 

1 minute ago, Jamie_M said:

20230802_102802.jpg

3 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Your big goalie had a nightmare that day as well

Just now, Jamie_M said:

Don't disagree on the actions of the rags, but it was the Partick fans group that were painting the bleakest picture of their fortunes.

Cash reserves down to a couple of hundred grand, lowest level in years.

Set a budget banking on promotion and nothing else.

Would have ran out of cash had it not been for the Rangers game.

Cloak and dagger accounting from the old board.

None of that was untrue tbf.
Doolan’s budget this season is very much down from what McCall got last summer (or before that). Since the first statement from both the club and TJF on finances, we’ve sold nearly 3k STs, and TJF are providing the club at least 10k a month, on top of 50k given to the club in June. The picture seems much more positive now than it was a month or two ago.

1 minute ago, JagsCG said:

None of that was untrue tbf.
Doolan’s budget this season is very much down from what McCall got last summer (or before that). Since the first statement from both the club and TJF on finances, we’ve sold nearly 3k STs, and TJF are providing the club at least 10k a month, on top of 50k given to the club in June. The picture seems much more positive now than it was a month or two ago.

Would stabilising after the takeover not be a better option than spending the way you are though.

I think Thistle currently have a competent, 2nd to 6th team and would be in no danger of going down.

You don’t put out a smouldering fire by continually putting more wood on it