The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

3 minutes ago, Nelson said:

You make it sound like a choice.  The hard reality is that we had too many players on the park yesterday who simply aren’t good enough to do what players in those positions need to be able to do.  

Some of it was a choice. Playing Frankie in midfield when Olly was on the bench. That was bizarre. 

That wasnt a vintage Dundee Utd team that we should have been in awe of. Yet I cant recall Walton having a decent save to make. Can only hope we can get an attacker in as I cant see Rose/Bryden/McKenzie hitting even 10 goals each this season 

1 minute ago, Iain said:

We shouldn't expect to beat Dundee United because they have more money and better players than we do. Also, we shouldn't expect to beat Arbroath just because we have more  money and better players than they do. 😵‍💫

Exactly this ....we beat them 5-0 at tannadice with a quarter of there budget fee years back.....

Should fear No1 however we seem to fear almost everyone just now ....😔😔😔

13 minutes ago, Nelson said:

For all the criticism McGinty gets for his poor distribution, I’m not sure what else we expect him to do when the opposition are playing a high press and he has nothing in front of him.

Yeah I don't think McGinty was the issue yesterday. Anytime they started playing from the back Middleton,Watt,Moult and Cudjoe were pretty much pressing on our 18 yard line. McGinty was going off the head a few times. Particularly at McAllister

8 minutes ago, davidkennedyshand said:

Yeah I don't think McGinty was the issue yesterday. Anytime they started playing from the back Middleton,Watt,Moult and Cudjoe were pretty much pressing on our 18 yard line. McGinty was going off the head a few times. Particularly at McAllister

In theory, the way to beat the high press is to try and stretch them with a bit of pace going the other way when we have the ball.  But McGeady, Amartey, Rose and McKenzie were completely static which made it so easy for Dundee Utd to play on top of our back 4.. in the end, the goals we conceded were weak, but you always felt the pressure would tell eventually.

39 minutes ago, Iain said:

We shouldn't expect to beat Dundee United because they have more money and better players than we do. Also, we shouldn't expect to beat Arbroath just because we have more money and better players than they do. 😵‍💫

Arbroath are world class. They won 36-0 not long ago.

40 minutes ago, OnlyAyrfaninTarbolton said:

Exactly this ....we beat them 5-0 at tannadice with a quarter of there budget fee years back.....

Should fear No1 however we seem to fear almost everyone just now ....😔😔😔

I  can't comment on the budget situation, however anyone connected to the teams would have been under no illusion that the side who won 5-0 were at full strength and in top form, however the team yesterday was mostly made up of new signings who were far from match sharp, youth team players and players who were not only fringe players but also playing out of position.

It's sheer lunacy to try and compare the two.

5 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I  can't comment on the budget situation, however anyone connected to the teams would have been under no illusion that the side who won 5-0 were at full strength and in top form, however the team yesterday was mostly made up of new signings who were far from match sharp, youth team players and players who were not only fringe players but also playing out of position.

It's sheer lunacy to try and compare the two.

I don’t think anyone is comparing the two.  Simply pointing out that good management means it is always possible to outperform your budget.  We haven’t had good management since McCall left.  At least we knew who to blame when it was just Kerr and McArdle in charge.  Now we have such a fragmented back room team, that we don’t know if it’s a lack of budget, crap coaching or inept recruitment that’s taking us back to League 1.

1 hour ago, Nelson said:

In fairness, I didn’t see a great deal of hoofball yesterday as a deliberate attacking tactic in the way that we were consciously trying to hit early balls to Dipo last season.  Was more that our defence simply couldn’t get out, had no out ball and had to just punt the ball up the park to try and clear our lines.  That was the case from very early on despite questionable assertions that we played “well” in the first half.  For all the criticism McGinty gets for his poor distribution, I’m not sure what else we expect him to do when the opposition are playing a high press and he has nothing in front of him.

Yes, there was very little movement yesterday and also nobody was willing or capable of driving forward with the ball from Midfield. 

For all Smith is tidy enough he's also not quite ready to be a fist choice CM and Frankie's certainly not the answer in there either. The new boy made a bit of an impact when he came on and I still quite like Pendlebury but we could do with a bit more height in there also. McKenzie did his usual running around without actually achieving very much and Rose definitely isn't a target man so there's lots of issues need dealing with that's for sure.

As mentioned before though, the time to judge us is when we have our players back and the new guys bedded in.

7 minutes ago, Nelson said:

I don’t think anyone is comparing the two.  Simply pointing out that good management means it is always possible to outperform your budget.  We haven’t had good management since McCall left.  At least we knew who to blame when it was just Kerr and McArdle in charge.  Now we have such a fragmented back room team, that we don’t know if it’s a lack of budget, crap coaching or inept recruitment that’s taking us back to League 1.

Did we have the second highest budget in the league last year ??

Just a tad early to be coming out with this sort of stuff !!!

1 minute ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Free agent, Albanian with no pedigree. He sounds perfect 

U21 international and was on the books of a club with a huge budget who are in a different stratosphere from ourselves.

2 hours ago, Iain said:

We shouldn't expect to beat Dundee United because they have more money and better players than we do. Also, we shouldn't expect to beat Arbroath just because we have more money and better players than they do. 😵‍💫

Jim Duffy after defeat at Cappielow vibes with this one.

55 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Did we have the second highest budget in the league last year ??

Just a tad early to be coming out with this sort of stuff !!!

Last year was last year.  We’re currently looking for 2 teams that are worse than us.  I was comfortable that one would be Arbroath, but their result yesterday certainly caught the attention.  Inverness seem to be in major trouble, but I’m honestly unsure if they have more potential if they empty Dodds.  Airdrie look poor on paper but keep finding results.  I thought pre-season Morton would be behind us, but least said the better!  The others are definitely ahead of us to varying degrees.

8 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Last year was last year.  We’re currently looking for 2 teams that are worse than us.  I was comfortable that one would be Arbroath, but their result yesterday certainly caught the attention.  Inverness seem to be in major trouble, but I’m honestly unsure if they have more potential if they empty Dodds.  Airdrie look poor on paper but keep finding results.  I thought pre-season Morton would be behind us, but least said the better!  The others are definitely ahead of us to varying degrees.

We've only played 3 games and don't even have our team put together yet.