The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

3 minutes ago, Utdtillidie2 said:

In October 1998, due to Clydebank's growing financial difficulties, Teale was sold to Ayr United for a fee of £70,000, a signing described by McCall as "a Christmas bargain in October."[13] Although there was interest from several English clubs, Teale opted to remain in Scotland as he felt he was not yet ready to leave his home country.[14] He made his debut in a 2–0 win against St Mirren,[15] and scored his first goal for the club on his home debut two weeks later in a 4–2 win against Falkirk.[14] He played a pivotal role in a 3–0 Scottish Cup victory at home to local rivals Kilmarnock in 1999, winning a late penalty which was converted by Andy Walker, a goal that has gone down in history due to the humiliating manner in which Gordon Marshall the Kilmarnock goalkeeper was beaten.

Wigan Athletic

[icon]
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (February 2011)

In 2001, Teale signed for Wigan Athletic for an initial fee of £275,000, which rose to £400,000 due to subsequent additional payments.

Copied from Wiki. Didn’t realise we got as much for Teale or that McCall sold him to us.

Gary Teale, a Champ Man 01/02 crucial signing. 

1 hour ago, Coollestersmoothe said:

Mind the days in the late 90s/early 00s when we'd pish money on transfer fees? Did we not spend £150k on Annand and Grady and 75K on Teale the season before (for some reason these figures are associated with these players in my memory)? Mad to think that all of that money left  Scottish football almost overnight.

The season we signed Annand and Grady was my first full season as an Ayr United fan. Fond memories of that season - and of the squad we had. 

It's weird that I'm terrible at remembering people's names - whether that be people I work with or current football players - yet I can name most of the 00/01 squad. John Nolan, Marius Rovde, Neil Duffy, Gareth Armstrong, John Bradford etc are forever etched in my memory for some reason.

Edited by Richey Edwards

Mind the days in the late 90s/early 00s when we'd pish money on transfer fees? Did we not spend £150k on Annand and Grady and 75K on Teale the season before (for some reason these figures are associated with these players in my memory)? Mad to think that all of that money left  Scottish football almost overnight.

Aye, pretty sure we outbid Dunfermline for Annand/Grady, and they were Premier League at the time.

Teale figure is also what I remember, simply cos I'd said to Cookie (RIP) up at Boghead that fella on the right was a pler and we shoudl sign him, couple of weeks later we did.  Mad to think there were folk in the Ayr crowd back then who were angrily roaring at him most weeks that he was never a football player.

Roasters gonny roast

Just now, Peil said:

Aye, pretty sure we outbid Dunfermline for Annand/Grady, and they were Premier League at the time.

Teale figure is also what I remember, simply cos I'd said to Cookie (RIP) up at Boghead that fella on the right was a pler and we shoudl sign him, couple of weeks later we did.  Mad to think there were folk in the Ayr crowd back then who were angrily roaring at him most weeks that he was never a football player.

Roasters gonny roast

Some things never change.

1 minute ago, Peil said:

Roasters gonny roast

I don’t remember that with Teale, that is just a different level of stupidity. 

I do remember a few slaughtering Conway as shite though!

6 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

The season we signed Annand and Grady was my first full season as an Ayr United fan. Fond memories of that season - and of the squad we had. 

It's weird that I'm terrible at remembering people's names - whether that be people I work with or current football players - yet I can name most of the 00/01 squad. John Nolan, Marius Rovde, Neil Duffy, Gareth Armstrong, John Bradford etc are forever etched in my memory for some reason.

Named my first born after him 😂

Just now, No_Problemo said:

I don’t remember that with Teale, that is just a different level of stupidity. 

I do remember a few slaughtering Conway as shite though!

Let's see there was a big lump who was on the Honest Page called Frizznit who gave him pelters every week.  I reckon his missus said she fancied him or summat.

There was also some fella from the Drouthy who wanted to punch my head in at Livvy away cos I said he was talking pish when he said Teale was the worst player he'd ever seen 🤣  Got death stares on the bus all the way back to Ayr

Earlier than that:

"Sammy for Cammy but that's Hammy Jammy"

I still don't know how that ever made it to print.....

9 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Earlier than that:

sounds like a set of hamsters the P5's keep in their class

12 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Earlier than that:

I loved both Sammy and Cammy but it was a masterstroke swapping Sammy for Cammy since his knee was gone.

Elegant and classy centre mids such as him are now a thing of the past and the game's much worse off for it.

Just now, WATTOO said:

I loved both Sammy and Cammy but it was a masterstroke swapping Sammy for Cammy since his knee was gone.

Elegant and classy centre mids such as him are now a thing of the past and the game's much worse off for it.

I'm sure we also paid a hefty fee as part of the deal as well.

Teale was often played as a centre forward, which he clearly wasn’t and he also didn’t do much of the dirty side of the game which meant he enraged a few folk when it was obvious or about to become obvious that it was Daziels fault for most of it.

Like McGeady, he was a player that brings so much to a game, you have to appreciate what he does bring and have the players round about him compensate. Like having Annand up front, you need a Grady to do the running or a McGinley/Sheerin to play the final balls.

I remember hearing Conway getting pelters from a group of Ayr fans when we got pumped against Alloa 5-0

John Hillcoat shipped 4 of them but f**k you Conway! Probably the only player in that squad to play full time football let alone be capped for Scotland.

1 minute ago, BukyOHare said:

I'm sure we also paid a hefty fee as part of the deal as well.

The bigger disappointment was Sheerin who came with the big reputation but never hit anything like the heights he had with Inverness but of course then found his form again when he left us for Aberdeen !!

4 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Shame Sammys brother was such a c**t.