The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

33 minutes ago, Peil said:

Aye, pretty sure we outbid Dunfermline for Annand/Grady, and they were Premier League at the time.

Teale figure is also what I remember, simply cos I'd said to Cookie (RIP) up at Boghead that fella on the right was a pler and we shoudl sign him, couple of weeks later we did.  Mad to think there were folk in the Ayr crowd back then who were angrily roaring at him most weeks that he was never a football player.

Roasters gonny roast

Gonna be part fair and say those roasters are at least consistent, they had the exact kinda team they've always wanted last year and were like pigs in shit for the whole of it.  Running is everything.  

11 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Teale was often played as a centre forward, which he clearly wasn’t and he also didn’t do much of the dirty side of the game which meant he enraged a few folk when it was obvious or about to become obvious that it was Daziels fault for most of it.

Like McGeady, he was a player that brings so much to a game, you have to appreciate what he does bring and have the players round about him compensate. Like having Annand up front, you need a Grady to do the running or a McGinley/Sheerin to play the final balls.

I remember hearing Conway getting pelters from a group of Ayr fans when we got pumped against Alloa 5-0

John Hillcoat shipped 4 of them but f**k you Conway! Probably the only player in that squad to play full time football let alone be capped for Scotland.

Ooooft Hillcoat was shit. Dreadful keeper.

14 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Teale was often played as a centre forward, which he clearly wasn’t and he also didn’t do much of the dirty side of the game which meant he enraged a few folk when it was obvious or about to become obvious that it was Daziels fault for most of it.

Like McGeady, he was a player that brings so much to a game, you have to appreciate what he does bring and have the players round about him compensate. Like having Annand up front, you need a Grady to do the running or a McGinley/Sheerin to play the final balls.

I remember hearing Conway getting pelters from a group of Ayr fans when we got pumped against Alloa 5-0

John Hillcoat shipped 4 of them but f**k you Conway! Probably the only player in that squad to play full time football let alone be capped for Scotland.

I got into a full shouting match with Hillcoat mid game that day.  Think I went home and wrote a right seething post or 6 on the HP 🫣

I recall he ended up posting a half hearted apology for rising to the crowd in his Sunday Mail column a week or so later.

I ended up meeting him face to face around 2010/11 when my boy was getting goalkeeping coaching off him, offered him an apology and ended up having a good chat and laugh with him about what it was like in that squad at the time.  Young boys being thrown in at the deep end and he felt responsible for defending them from eveyr boo that came from the crowd.  Nice fella John.

1 minute ago, itzdrk said:

Gonna be part fair and say those roasters are at least consistent, they had the exact kinda team they've always wanted last year and were like pigs in shit for the whole of it.  Running is everything.  

Yes, if I had to name my favourites it would be,

Gary Teale, Henry Templeton, Alain Horace, Glynn Hurst, Andy Walker, Duncan George, Garry Agnew, James Grady, Stevie Kerrigan, Isaac English, Davy Craig, John Davies, Cammy Duncan and Kevin Cuthbert then later years, Stevo, Shankland, Forrest, Moff, Nicky Devlin and Dipo.

I'm sure we could manage a decent side out of that bunch !

1 minute ago, Aliayr76 said:

Who cares about what we gave to clydebank for Gary teal or any past transfer it's player or players we need in now.

Teale's only a little older than McGeady, could do a job. 

2 hours ago, Hawk89 said:

Would love to know what we got back from Dunfermline for Sleepy Joe. Most entertaining piece of transfer business in club history. 
Would we have paid anything for Shankland or Rose when they left Aberdeen or was it a case of Aberdeen waiting until they had a destination and then releasing them for us to sign for free? 

10k I believe 

1 hour ago, Peil said:

I got into a full shouting match with Hillcoat mid game that day.  Think I went home and wrote a right seething post or 6 on the HP 🫣

I recall he ended up posting a half hearted apology for rising to the crowd in his Sunday Mail column a week or so later.

I ended up meeting him face to face around 2010/11 when my boy was getting goalkeeping coaching off him, offered him an apology and ended up having a good chat and laugh with him about what it was like in that squad at the time.  Young boys being thrown in at the deep end and he felt responsible for defending them from eveyr boo that came from the crowd.  Nice fella John.

He had a habit of diving quite close to the ball but not at it. I remember one of the goals that day involved him coming out so far for a corner and missing it that he was sitting on the penalty spot when the goal was scored from a 4 yard tap in. 

21 minutes ago, Aliayr76 said:

Who cares about what we gave to clydebank for Gary teal or any past transfer it's player or players we need in now.

Maybe if the club gave us something current to talk about then we wouldn't feel the need to have a reminiscence sesh about past transfers.