The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

11 minutes ago, mugen_power said:

Henry Smith was mine

I think he even scored for us once

I hope he went up for a corner and scored and it wasn't a goal kick which bounced over the other keeper!

I know it's a rubbish opinion but I personally think goalkeepers at Ayr have been a mix of good and bad since we had Craig Nelson (Legend).

Kevin Cuthbert, Greg Fleming, Sinisalo and Ross Doohan (Ignoring a trip to East Ayrshire) weren't all bad.

Could debate Ludovic Roy as he had a poor team around him.

David Hutton was quite arrogant iirc.

Alan Martin showed potential but never looked the real deal.

Alan Main needed a Zimmer frame (That rhymes) and we never gave him a contract for him, sadly.

Crawford was Okay is small flushes.

Hart, Ruddy, Hillcoat, Cherrie, Smith and Grindlay were extremely poor though.

Still think the worst is Barry John Corr. Who was absolutely F****** S***!

1 minute ago, Trogdor said:

I hope he went up for a corner and scored and it wasn't a goal kick which bounced over the other keeper!

I had it in my head that he took a penalty for us as the regular taker had been subbed off or something, but I'm wracking my brains trying to remember

21 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Craig Nelson is still my favourite Ayr United goalkeeper. A legend.

First ever Ayr player I ever met at seven years old, was Marius Røvde. Was very down to earth and lifted me over the wall for a photo. For that reason alone he was the best Goalkeeper in the universe!

Craig Nelson was a year later I think 😅

Definitely Craig Nelson vs Cammy Duncan during my time watching Ayr.  Duncan was a little unlucky in that he wrecked his knee just at the point they brought in the backpass rule and he struggled with his kicking.  Beyond that, I thought Cuthbert was superb the season we had him and Ross Doohan was different class the first season in particular we had him.  Honestly don’t know what’s happened to Doohan, but the potential just seems to be dribbling away.  He really needed to find a bit of stability and regular games somewhere.  Like Ayr for example.

7 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

First ever Ayr player I ever met at seven years old, was Marius Røvde. Was very down to earth and lifted me over the wall for a photo. For that reason alone he was the best Goalkeeper in the universe!

Pretty sure Nelson signed in 98 as backup to Castilla.  Initially at least…

10 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

Rovde was starting games when I first started going in 2000. He got dropped after (I think) the 4-3 defeat to ICT in a Scottish Cup game that we were winning 3-0 at HT.

3 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Rovde was starting games when I first started going in 2000. He got dropped after (I think) the 4-3 defeat to ICT in a Scottish Cup game that we were winning 3-0 at HT.

He had a nightmare in the 7 nil semi final that we don’t talk about.  Not sure where Nelson was that day.  I’m sure he was a nice guy, but Rovde was a rotten goalkeeper.

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

It is really weird with Charlie, you don't become a bad player overnight but he seems to have.

Still adamant he did the opposite and became a good player overnight and has merely returned to his natural level of performance.  

Start of last season we were a bit worried about the goalkeeper position because McAdams had got worse as the previous season went on but was still better than his backup.  Albinson performed while McAdams was injured at the start of the season and kept the spot and performed pretty much all season.  This season he has more looked like the player that was stepping in for McAdams in 21/22.  Making some good saves but also looking hopeless at times. 

As long as he doesn't have a total confidence collapse he will do a good enough job as #1 until the summer. 

1 minute ago, Nelson said:

He had a nightmare in the 7 nil semi final that we don’t talk about.  Not sure where Nelson was that day.  I’m sure he was a nice guy, but Rovde was a rotten goalkeeper.

Just off the phone to my mum, I apologise 😅 It was Castilla I have the picture with. Røvde was the year later, after Nelson had signed. Lifted me over the wall and got down on his knee for the picture 👍 my mum is looking for the picture now 😂

If you're not sure, ask yer mum 😂

3 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

Just off the phone to my mum, I apologise 😅 It was Castilla I have the picture with. Røvde was the year later, after Nelson had signed. Lifted me over the wall and got down on his knee for the picture 👍 my mum is looking for the picture now 😂

If you're not sure, ask yer mum 😂

Always puzzled by what happened to Castilla. I think he basically retired from football after leaving Ayr despite only being in his early 20s.  The Dalziel effect maybe.  Will always remember him running the length of the park to celebrate one of the goals in the relegation decider against Partick in 98.

Edited by Nelson

2 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Always puzzled by what happened to Castilla. I think he basically retired from football after leaving Ayr despite only being in his early 20s.  The Dalziel effect maybe.  Will always remember him running the length of the park to celebrate one of the goals in the relegation decider against Partick in 98.

I tried to get him to make a playing comeback during the Roberts era but he politely declined.

Also tried to get Jerome Vareille to return as well but he said he was training for a marathon. I asked him if he was any quicker now but he didn't reply again.

Just now, Richey Edwards said:

I tried to get him to make a playing comeback during the Roberts era but he politely declined.

Also tried to get Jerome Vareille to return as well but he said he was training for a marathon. I asked him if he was any quicker now but he didn't reply again.

I quite liked Varielle. You are right about his pace though!