The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

39 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

Muhammad faal is the guy we had, signed for Crawley in july

Looked like Bambi on ice for Ayr, wasn't signed and now scores goals for fun in the lower English leagues.

Remember when Ayr signed players from that level? Memories 😊 How far Ayr have come.

Been impressed with McCowan when he was with us and whenever I've seen him since he left. Was disappointed he wasn't even in the provisional squad for the Euros.

Hopefully he can break into the Scotland squad in the near future.

When we won the Championship, I'd have shrugged my shoulders if we released him.

A season and a bit later and I'm gutted to lose him for £1m+. He became the absolute heartbeat of our team. He encapsulated what we were about, hard work, endeavour, bit of dig and just bought into everything. A complete revelation since being changed to a CM.

I now forgive you lads for allowing us to be lumbered with Declan McDaid.

Over his whole spell, McCowan wasn't amazing, but his last season was truly special and he represented everything I love about football and it's that what makes it that bit sorer. Tremendous lad and it's not often I hold my hands up and say, 'fair play, you deserve it' when someone leaves us for the OF as he truly gave everything to make it at Dundee and deserves every ounce of success.

We're all chatting about how he'll likely be a bench player or reserve at Celtic, in terms of natural ability - probably, but I wouldn't put it past him to work his way into the team with sheer hard work and that little bit of dig he has over the majority that gives him that extra bit of class.

6 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

When we won the Championship, I'd have shrugged my shoulders if we released him.

A season and a bit later and I'm gutted to lose him for £1m+. He became the absolute heartbeat of our team. He encapsulated what we were about, hard work, endeavour, bit of dig and just bought into everything. A complete revelation since being changed to a CM.

Over his whole spell, McCowan wasn't amazing, but his last season was truly special and he represented everything I love about football and it's that what makes it that bit sorer. Tremendous lad and it's not often I hold my hands up and say, 'fair play, you deserve it' when someone leaves us for the OF as he truly gave everything to make it at Dundee and deserves every ounce of success.

We're all chatting about how he'll likely be a bench player or reserve at Celtic, in terms of natural ability - probably, but I wouldn't put it past him to work his way into the team with sheer hard work and that little bit of dig he has over the majority that gives him that extra bit of class.

He was like that the first few seasons with us then became indispensable for us. He really has talent that makes him a good football player and should never have been let leave for nothing. 

at least him leaving for Celtic ensures we get something 

17 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I've a feeling he will do pretty well there.     Still think we missed out a fair bit on him by McCall not bringing him into the side earlier in the 18-19  season when we had a massive injury crisis 

Edited by Hursty

8 minutes ago, Liam899 said:

I get what Ludo is saying but I’d have been gutted had he left after we won the championship. However, I agree, he has been the absolute heartbeat of our side. Cheers Ayr, hope you get up!

I'm obviously an arsehole and a shite judge of player but I'd have kept Paul McMullan ahead of him at that time.

Feel dirty just typing that now.

16 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

It was you signing McDaid that allowed McCowan to finally break into our team so it really was a strategic move IMO. 

2 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

It was you signing McDaid that allowed McCowan to finally break into our team so it really was a strategic move IMO. 

I remember (vaguely tbf) being at hospitality at Firhill in April or May 2019 and McCowan started up front from nowhere and he was absolutely superb.  He really should have been a regular for a large part of that season.  We had signed Calvin Miller and another similar one who I can't even recall right now in January window that kept him out the team for 4 months and both did very little.  

Edit - was Nicky Cadden

Edited by Hursty

1 minute ago, itzdrk said:

Always thought Forrest was the man that would get a big move. There was even rumours last summer we tried to resign him I think? crazy to think now!

Great move for him, hopefully he gets a proper chance, breaks into the Scotland squad!

1 minute ago, diege said:

Always thought Forrest was the man that would get a big move. There was even rumours last summer we tried to resign him I think? crazy to think now!

Great move for him, hopefully he gets a proper chance, breaks into the Scotland squad!

f**king criminal that you didn't mount a proper, proper title challenge with Forrest on one wing, McCowan on the other and Shankland up top.

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

f**king criminal that you didn't mount a proper, proper title challenge with Forrest on one wing, McCowan on the other and Shankland up top.

And Moffat behind them 

We know, that was some squad looking back.

Not quite sure what we were missing? Maybe "premier league" teams in the league made things difficult

4 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Ross county  bought the league that season in January and we fell away due to injury. Pretty sure shankland was injured for the final third, mccowan only broke through the season after McCall left so didn’t feature with Forrest or shankland 

17 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

Ross county  bought the league that season in January and we fell away due to injury. Pretty sure shankland was injured for the final third, mccowan only broke through the season after McCall left so didn’t feature with Forrest or shankland 

Plus Dundee Utd were there too, always felt like "squad depth" and "off the park" wise we were massive underdogs - from November on all the chat was how Shankland / Forrest / Smith etc would either be sold on the cheap in January or go for free in May - there was zero hope they would ever be staying until the next season no matter where we finished.    

It feels so different now and I love it. 

Edited by Hursty