Minimum Alcohol Pricing

scottsdad

20 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

That's because you didn't read the article.

Table 3 lists the control groups - North-East England and North-West England. The sensitivity section explains this. 

You pointed us to a graph which you posted on 1 May.  No link to any article.

2 hours ago, Wee Bully said:

You pointed us to a graph which you posted on 1 May.  No link to any article.

The post from May 1st includes a quote from a poster linking to the Lancet article. 

That poster was...let me see... Wee Bully

• 1 month later...
29 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-66645602

MUP working a treat. No doubt this will call for a doubling down and an increase on the unit price. 

By continuing to not increase MUP the government is effectively phasing it out

The current price adjusted for inflation is equivalent to 40p at the time MUP was brought in.

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/monetary-policy/inflation/inflation-calculator

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

59 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

By continuing to not increase MUP the government is effectively phasing it out

The current price adjusted for inflation is equivalent to 40p at the time MUP was brought in.

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/monetary-policy/inflation/inflation-calculator

I think their recent consultation had options of more than doubling the current level in the near future, but I could well be misremembering. 

1 hour ago, Bob in Denny said:

I just love how these other parties blame the Scottish Government (SNP) for it...

The crazy think is the shops reap the benefits of the so-called tax....

Get it tae f***

That's the SNP's fault entirely.    They could have taken the extra back into the public purse and use it for education etc.   In typical fashion they rushed it through to get headlines without thinking it through properly.   

40 minutes ago, FFCinthearea said:

That's the SNP's fault entirely.    They could have taken the extra back into the public purse and use it for education etc.   In typical fashion they rushed it through to get headlines without thinking it through properly.   

That's what any normal country's government would to but Scotland isn't a normal country

The Government don't have the power to raise prices through taxation as that's a reserved power. 

This isn't about the Scottish Government acting with undue haste.

You  are of course free to argue that if they couldn't do it conventionally they shouldn't have bothered even trying

1 hour ago, Big Fifer said:

I think their recent consultation had options of more than doubling the current level in the near future, but I could well be misremembering. 

From the BBC report

A survey of the sector includes the options of reducing the price, keeping it at 50p, or increasing it to 60p, 70p, 80p, or more than 80p.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-66242437

In 2018 prices that something like
40p, 48p, 56p, 64p or more

2 hours ago, FFCinthearea said:

I'm with you there..

A bit of thought and the public purse could have had it.

Upping it to 65p per unit was a recent idea put forward,

taking the fun out of having an odd glass of beer, feckers.

I like going to the pub for a couple but seriously getting to the point where after a couple it feels would be slower to burn the money.

When I started drinking it was 99p a pint.

I now drink Stella and the pub I drink it in most regular is £4.10. This year I have been variously charged anything from £3.90 to £6.10 for a Stella all over the country.

When one pint in a pub regularly is the same as 4 tins on the house (Tesco between the pub and my flat is £5.50 for 4 568ML cans of Stella), the choice of having a couple of tine watching the football in the flat or pints in the pub is seeming more sensible.

50 minutes ago, MEADOWXI said:

I like going to the pub for a couple but seriously getting to the point where after a couple it feels would be slower to burn the money.

I now drink Stella and the pub I drink it in most regular is £4.10. This year I have been variously charged anything from £3.90 to £6.10 for a Stella all over the country.

When one pint in a pub regularly is the same as 4 tins on the house (Tesco between the pub and my flat is £5.50 for 4 568ML cans of Stella), the choice of having a couple of tine watching the football in the flat or pints in the pub is seeming more sensible.

You should see the prices in Edinburgh these days for a pint. 

1 hour ago, MEADOWXI said:

And the award for most stereotypically Aberdonian post of the day goes to….

57 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

You should see the prices in Edinburgh these days for a pint. 

36 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

And the award for most stereotypically Aberdonian post of the day goes to….

The £6.10 was in Edinburgh

And to Topcat,

I'm not not Aberdonian, but nice try x

16 hours ago, MEADOWXI said:

I'd say the increase in pub prices is more about trying to survive than anything to do with MUP. In fact, MUP will have increased the cost of shop bought alcohol way more than pub bought. 

To me it was essentially a 'jakey tax' to increase the prices of things like Buckfast, cheap vodka/whisky, large bottles of extra strength cider and similarly super strength lagers. Your middle class functioning alchy was still going to be able to afford to pay £15 for a 70cl of Vodka/Whisky or still be able to nip down the pub for a dozen pints without it hitting them too hard. 

5 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

I'd say the increase in pub prices is more about trying to survive than anything to do with MUP. In fact, MUP will have increased the cost of shop bought alcohol way more than pub bought. 

To me it was essentially a 'jakey tax' to increase the prices of things like Buckfast, cheap vodka/whisky, large bottles of extra strength cider and similarly super strength lagers. Your middle class functioning alchy was still going to be able to afford to pay £15 for a 70cl of Vodka/Whisky or still be able to nip down the pub for a dozen pints without it hitting them too hard. 

Way back at the start of this thread, I called it "Prohibition for the Poor". 

That's just how it feels to me. 

7 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

I don't disagree with you here but it's worth saying that I don't think BUckfast was impacted by the MUP, it's relatively expensive when compared to the gut rot cider and lager that are the cheapest in terms of price per unit.  I don't think that the proper street drinking alcoholics drink Buckfast either, but I'm not an expert on this.

It's also worth noting that after a Tory MSP compained to the UK Statistical Authority about the Scottish Government press release following the review of MUP, the release has been modified.  You can see the letter and the reasons for the issues here - https://uksa.statisticsauthority.gov.uk/correspondence/response-from-sir-robert-chote-to-sandesh-gulhane-msp-minimum-unit-pricing/

Of the 40 studies looked at in the review, 39 didn't find any positive affect on deaths and hospitalisations and the one that did was entirely based on statistical modelling which wasn't reflected in real world data.  

It would be interesting to see the chain of how this release was published and who decided what went in it.