Minimum Alcohol Pricing

scottsdad

2 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

The report the Guardian cite is here
https://publichealthscotland.scot/media/23223/final_alcohol-briefing-updated_1247.pdf

One detail  of the Guardian report the caught my eye was

"Scottish Labour supports the policy but has called for an additional alcohol levy on retailers to tax the unearned profits retailers earn from minimum pricing, with the proceeds passed directly to the NHS and efforts to combat addiction."

taxation is a reserved power

Are labour now promising to grant more fiscal autonomy to Holyrood?

Or are they going to try to devote legislative time in Westminster to a one off "MUP excess retail profits tax (Scotland)" bill?

Or they could set the level of charge for their licence proportionate to their alcohol sales rather than the rateable value of the property.  No Westminster involvement required. 

Edited by strichener

Just now, Salt n Vinegar said:

It's just going up by the rate of inflation plus about 3p, presumably to "round it up".   Keep the heid.

Be fine if any anycunts wages were going up by the rate of inflation.....

It's just going up by the rate of inflation plus about 3p, presumably to "round it up".   Keep the heid.

It isn't the point. It's a flawed policy, that doesn't work, and does nothing other than shovel more money into retailer's pockets.

It's more than "inflation plus 3p" cheaper to buy alcohol down South.

What do you normally buy that is affected by MUP?

That's 100% not relevant is it? Part of the rather snobby attitude that only scummy drinks for scummy folk are affected. All thats relevant is whether they can demonstrate this policy works, which they seem unable to. If not, then it is, as Todd said, nannying pish. 

8 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

That's 100% not relevant is it? Part of the rather snobby attitude that only scummy drinks for scummy folk are affected. All thats relevant is whether they can demonstrate this policy works, which they seem unable to. If not, then it is, as Todd said, nannying pish. 

Some people refer to policies that disproportionately affect the poorest as punching down…

20 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

It was a perfectly reasonable question.  I accept that it would be better if Scotland could introduce its own alcohol taxes and duties so that the cash raised could go to a Scottish treasury rather than into the pockets of businesses, but until then, I'm fine with the policy.  

3 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

It was a perfectly reasonable question.  I accept that it would be better if Scotland could introduce its own alcohol taxes and duties so that the cash raised could go to a Scottish treasury rather than into the pockets of businesses, but until then, I'm fine with the policy.  

I don't understand why you are fine with it unless you are coming at it from an "I'm alright Jack" POV. I mean, it can't really be shown to meeting it's objectives, and like you say yourself, it's not even going in the public purse. 

Its a literal tax but with none of the circular benefot that comes from paying a tax. It's an ill thought out pile of shite that should 100% be shelved until it can be done properly. 

4 hours ago, Left Back said:

Some people refer to policies that disproportionately affect the poorest as punching down…

A 70cl of Absolut vodka (38% ABV and mid-range, not “scummy”) is currently £18 in Tesco, and the minimum price will be £18.20 when MUP comes into effect, so it’s transcended that argument. 

4 minutes ago, Derry Pele said:

A 70cl of Absolut vodka (38% ABV and mid-range, not “scummy”) is currently £18 in Tesco, and the minimum price will be £18.20 when MUP comes into effect, so it’s transcended that argument. 

I don’t know what point you’re trying to make here.

You’re saying that mid-range alcohol will be pretty much unaffected?  I’ll take your word for the prices.

a cheap bottle of Vodka will now cost the same as Absolut so people that would buy cheaper vodka will now be paying more?

I assume you’re not saying that 20p on top of an £18 purchase is the problem here?

22 minutes ago, Left Back said:

I don’t know what point you’re trying to make here.

You’re saying that mid-range alcohol will be pretty much unaffected?  I’ll take your word for the prices.

a cheap bottle of Vodka will now cost the same as Absolut so people that would buy cheaper vodka will now be paying more?

I assume you’re not saying that 20p on top of an £18 purchase is the problem here?

Should have elaborated, apologies. 

At the moment the own brand 37.5% vodkas are £13.13. Absolut, a 38% mid-range vodka, is currently £22 or £18 with a Clubcard, so roughly two thirds and one third more than the minimum respectively. If Absolut remains the same percentage more expensive than the minimum as it currently is, the Clubcard price will be 25 quid which is heading towards “fancy-schmancy, am I f**k paying that” levels. 

More aimed at the person you were originally replying to, to say that it might not be as disproportionate as one thinks because I for one will be hopping over to the big ASDA in Carlisle if I’m that desperate for a half

7 hours ago, Derry Pele said:

Should have elaborated, apologies. 

At the moment the own brand 37.5% vodkas are £13.13. Absolut, a 38% mid-range vodka, is currently £22 or £18 with a Clubcard, so roughly two thirds and one third more than the minimum respectively. If Absolut remains the same percentage more expensive than the minimum as it currently is, the Clubcard price will be 25 quid which is heading towards “fancy-schmancy, am I f**k paying that” levels. 

More aimed at the person you were originally replying to, to say that it might not be as disproportionate as one thinks because I for one will be hopping over to the big ASDA in Carlisle if I’m that desperate for a half

They'll just not sell the own brand stuff rather than push everything else up. All it does it punish those with less disposable income who have the cheek to want to have a drink.

But its not even just that. Take a standard 440ml can of Heineken, which contains 2.2 units. The minimum price per can is now £1.43 - an increase of 33p.

A 10 pack, which typically retails at around £10-12 down South, now needs to be at least £14.30 up here. And there is no hope of any 3 for £21 or buy 4 get 1 free type deals as they've been banned for years.

It wasn't too long ago I picked up 40 cans in an offer down South for £30. Those same 40 cans would now cost at least £57.20 here.

I'm fortunate that I'm down South often enough I can plan ahead and stock up, but given the extra cash is just going into the retailer's pocket it's an absolutely abysmal kick in the stones for many.

19 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

They'll just not sell the own brand stuff rather than push everything else up. All it does it punish those with less disposable income who have the cheek to want to have a drink.

But its not even just that. Take a standard 440ml can of Heineken, which contains 2.2 units. The minimum price per can is now £1.43 - an increase of 33p.

A 10 pack, which typically retails at around £10-12 down South, now needs to be at least £14.30 up here. And there is no hope of any 3 for £21 or buy 4 get 1 free type deals as they've been banned for years.

It wasn't too long ago I picked up 40 cans in an offer down South for £30. Those same 40 cans would now cost at least £57.20 here.

I'm fortunate that I'm down South often enough I can plan ahead and stock up, but given the extra cash is just going into the retailer's pocket it's an absolutely abysmal kick in the stones for many.

The most shocking thing about this thread is someone admitting they willingly drink Heineken tbh.

Have to say I'm a bit puzzled as to what folk actually think here. A few now have shown that MUP is now basically affecting all alcohol rather than the disproportionately cheap/strong for which it was supposedly introduced. It follows from that that it now financially impacts all drinkers, not just problem ones. 

It should be obvious what issues people have with that in a cost of living crisis, but just in case it isn't, I have an issue with a govt enacted addition to the cost of living, where there is no perceived benefit. 

Sometimes this thread has the feel like we're only a post or two away from "well if you can't go 90 minutes without a drink...." type posts. 

It used to be that people were OK with this policy because they didn't drink the stuff it was aimed at. Now it must either be they don't drink at all and don't understand why you NEED to drink, or they simply have enough money to not give a f**k about the cost. Whichever of those it is, it can't be about merit, which is of course how policy should be judged were politics not now a strict "MY TEAM!!!!!" arena. 

For all the good SNP do/have done. Have the temerity to fancy a lager, and you are suddenly dealing with a shower of preachy, sanctimonious wankers.

Edit to add from the first bit, it never successfully targeted problem drinkers in the first place, that was just how it was sold.

Edited by Bairnardo