Minimum Alcohol Pricing

scottsdad

2 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Heineken is not a premium brand drink 

I would respectfully disagree - Heineken is a premium brand lager. The stuff that is brewed and sold in the UK isn't as good as the proper stuff brewed in Amsterdam, but that's a different grumble.

You're also spectacularly missing the point - there's no valid reason for the average Joe to have to fork out over £21 for a single box of cans, and I suspect there will be more than a few people surprised at the price of their carry out in a little over a week's time. Not because they aren't aware of the increase in MUP, but because they still believe it only impacts "cheap lagers and ciders". I don't think what I'm saying is particularly hard to grasp.

18 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

FqLAMFTUgr00k8FmUjcIemXEjtk=.gif

oN_-eh5dg7U8ACjGS2lnxHqW9qg=.gif

BSt8zIpYGrT5cme0eL5K4fY4y5Y=.gif

I51tlzQ1DluD29hQyrMTvIEOJuI=.gif

QTL5USY4YWtnNpIouZ5bkcp16-0=.gif

This is an absolutely nonsense post.

The "free" stuff isn't free. 

As it is we get a double whammy. Higher taxes to pay for the "free" stuff, then have to pay more for a carry out on top of that at the end of the week.

On 18/09/2024 at 17:13, Todd_is_God said:

I reckon some* people are in for a surprise when they see the price of their box of beer at the end of this month.

I still see quite a large number of people whenever this is discussed on social media who seem to think it only affects cheap tramp juice.

To give an example, the standard price for 15 x 440ml cans of Heineken in Tesco, in England, is currently £15. That excludes any clubcard offers or multi buy discounts which often bring the price closer to £10.

The same pack in Scotland (which is already £16.50) will soon have to cost £21.45 and, of course, clubcard offers or multi buy deals are not permitted.

Hide contents

*a lot of

Drink single malt scotch whisky instead. 

On 18/09/2024 at 17:13, Todd_is_God said:

I reckon some* people are in for a surprise when they see the price of their box of beer at the end of this month.

I still see quite a large number of people whenever this is discussed on social media who seem to think it only affects cheap tramp juice.

To give an example, the standard price for 15 x 440ml cans of Heineken in Tesco, in England, is currently £15. That excludes any clubcard offers or multi buy discounts which often bring the price closer to £10.

The same pack in Scotland (which is already £16.50) will soon have to cost £21.45 and, of course, clubcard offers or multi buy deals are not permitted.

Reveal hidden contents

*a lot of

Its still remarkably cheap when compared to going to the pub.

Perhaps Englands £10 for 15 cans of lager is too cheap and contributes to violence and domestic abuse?

30 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

I mean it should be. I’m not buying from a pub which is looking to make a profit after substantial overheads.

2 hours ago, Leith Green said:

By that point it's a loss leader being used to drive footfall away from the other big supermarkets into their own

it's applied primarily to mass market generic, interchangeable, UK brewed lagers because they're almost homogenous meaning that the big retailers can effectively compete on price alone.

2 hours ago, Leith Green said:

Perhaps England's £10 for 15 cans of lager is too cheap and contributes to violence and domestic abuse?

Incidentally the unit pricing for 15 cans of Heineken for a tenner when you adjust for inflation since is equivalent to 8 ace for £1.49 in 1990

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)