Rangers Pre-Season in Holland under Advocaat.

A mate back home is a programme collector and came across a couple of programmes from Rangers' pre-season tours to Holland under Dick Advocaat. He wants to know how many games they played but I haven't got a Scooby?

Can anyone help as regards who they played on those two tours?

Thanks.

I think they went there more than once under Advocaat. Usually played local amateur teams. There's a mention of a pre-season tour of Holland in 2000 in this article.

https://rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/dutch-of-home-life-has-kept-me-going/

There appears to have been a three-game tour in July 2001. BBC reports of them gubbing Dovo and VV Capelle.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/1425740.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/1428943.stm

7 July 2000 Gent A 3–2 2,500 Kanchelskis (2), McCann
12 July 2000 Bocholt A 3–1 3,000 Mols, Wallace, Albertz
13 July 2000 Quick '20 A 6–0 2,000 Ferguson (2), Johansson (2), Mols, Miller
15 July 2000 HZVV A 5–1 3,000 Dodds (2), Albertz (2) Kanchelskis

5 July 2001 VV Dovo A 7-0 4,000 Miller (3), de Boer, Numan, Dodds, Kanchelskis
7 July 2001 VV Capelle A 5-1 3,500 Johnston (2), Caniggia, de Boer, Gayle
9 July 2001 WHC/VSCO[20] A 8-0 2,200

Miller (3), Flo (2), Dodds, Nerlinger, Caniggia

Interesting that they played against amateur teams they'd be expected to heavily beat.  I think this might actually be "a thing" in the Netherlands, the philosophy being that the team will gain confidence from a heavy victory.  I'm certain I heard that the Dutch international team play their last friendly before major tournaments against absolute minnows for this exact reason.

The main thing I remember about Advocaat was him moaning about going to work in the morning in the dark and coming home in the evening when it was dark. You're from Holland ffs you stupid, shredded wheat headed c**t. 

21 minutes ago, Estragon said:

Interesting that they played against amateur teams they'd be expected to heavily beat.  I think this might actually be "a thing" in the Netherlands, the philosophy being that the team will gain confidence from a heavy victory.  I'm certain I heard that the Dutch international team play their last friendly before major tournaments against absolute minnows for this exact reason.

I think in Scotland we call it the Betfred Cup.

(just ask Simon Murray or Sofien Moussa)

38 minutes ago, Estragon said:

I recall Tommy Burns doing the same thing with Celtic when he took over as manager there. They toured Germany and played a few low level amateur sides, racking up hefty scorelines in the process. I'm sure there were a few 10+ goal victories.

4 hours ago, Dee Man said:

The main thing I remember about Advocaat was him moaning about going to work in the morning in the dark and coming home in the evening when it was dark. You're from Holland ffs you stupid, shredded wheat headed c**t. 

Wee Dick was certainly an unusual chap and I have very mixed feeling about the cheque-book management from that era but there is no doubt that his Rangers team played the best football seen in Scotland since the 1960s.

9 hours ago, Estragon said:

Wim Jansen done the same thing during his Celtic pre-season.  Hammered some poor mob 21-0.

9 hours ago, Ross. said:

I recall Tommy Burns doing the same thing with Celtic when he took over as manager there. They toured Germany and played a few low level amateur sides, racking up hefty scorelines in the process. I'm sure there were a few 10+ goal victories.

It was in the Netherlands.  Like you say, we had a 16-0 victory and a few 8 or 9's too.

Archived