Aberdeen European Tour 2018/2019

Not a bad result for Aberdeen. Still in the tie and a cracking atmosphere. The England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 and flower of Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 chants though dafuk 🤮🤮🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reasonable result for Aberdeen. Shame they lost the late equaliser. Not many teams go to Burnley and get a result, looking at their home form in the last few years. Hopefully Aberdeen can catch them cold.

Any of you lads heading down by train,usually it's change at Haymarket and Preston.

Once at Preston your looking for the train to COLNE,takes about a hour to Burnley central as it stops loads,the ground is about a 20 min walk.

Town centre with a few pubs is pretty much 2mins from the station or there is a pub across from the ground.

Happy travels.

Seems a decent result for Aberdeen last night, I did not see the game and only listened to about 10 minutes on the radio in the car when I had to go out.

It sounds like Aberdeen were not playing to badly although it was mentioned Burnley dominated possession.

It is a shame that Burnley got that late equaliser I would expect them to go through at home now, I might be wrong but I am sure they are strong at home.

Did ourselves proud when many just expected us to be blown away.

Lewis, Devlin, McKenna, GMS, Shinnie and Ball really stood out for me.

The worrying this for me was when May came on, I felt he was no threat at all. We really do need a decent striker onboard and I think we will again have a very good season.

Wish I was going to the away leg, I think we will put up a good fight and the atmosphere will be awesome. 

Really enjoyed the game last night. Great effort from the lads.

I liked the look of Hobban, seems confident on the ball and has great awareness with his positioning. Did well tracking the runs from Lennon and minimised his impact. He also played 1 absolutely beautiful ball over the top that Cosgrove almost latched onto in the first half. If that isn't a one off then i'm looking forward to seeing more of him.

Ball again showed what he is capable of when played in the correct position. He'll never set the world alight once on the ball but he has a high work rate, gets stuck in and sticks to his task.

Cosgrove led the line very well, made a nuisance of himself and won his share of headers, with plenty of those headers finding a red shirt. GMS and McGinn (first half) did exactly what we needed on the counter. Interesting to see how he does in terms of goals.

McKenna and Devlin look like they could be a daunting prospect for opposing teams. Disappointed that Vokes managed to turn but there aren't many teams we'll come up against who have the physical presence of Burnley.

Big Joe was big Joe. Shinnie had his normal high work rate and made sure he got the hard challenges in when required. Logan had a couple of scares but was generally solid. McGinn looked sharp though he did fade during the 2nd half and asked some questions of Lowton, opportunities down that left side next week.

Ferguson is a gem. Work rate, ability, strong given his age. Missed him after he went off. Not sure Gleeson was the right player to come on as we also had Shinnie move to LB and lost our link between attach and defence. And it led to us sitting that wee bit too deep. I think Gleeson will be a good influence, he was geeing up the players and was very vocal in organising. Closest thing I've seen to a 'midfield general' since Robson, something we've missed.

Stevie may is an absolute sh!tebag right now. I know he would have been asked to stay up there and be ready to break away but at the same time he should run himself into the ground for the minutes he's on to help those like GMS who have put in an almighty amount of work pressing. 

Wright had 1 good run at them which ended in a dive again and had an opportunity on the edge of the box after May played in a ball from wide right that he wasted by just falling over.

I'm down in Burnley next week and just wanted us to be in the tie, which we are. More than capable of competing with them down there again.

How about some positivity for all our clubs in Europe eh? Not like your club could f**k up a one goal lead into the second leg is there?
It's still all to play for and I think Aberdeen have a flipping good chance to take a smash n grab. Early goal for the sheep and it's panic time for Burnley.

Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t mind seeing Aberdeen going through, just think they’ll run up against a brick wall in the return leg, whilst Burnley score from a set piece, and put the shutters up. It’s how they work.

Did ourselves proud when many just expected us to be blown away.

Lewis, Devlin, McKenna, GMS, Shinnie and Ball really stood out for me.

The worrying this for me was when May came on, I felt he was no threat at all. We really do need a decent striker onboard and I think we will again have a very good season.

Wish I was going to the away leg, I think we will put up a good fight and the atmosphere will be awesome. 

May got 15 minutes when Burnley were very much in the ascendancy. I wouldn’t read too much into it but it’s a big season for him.

Can’t fault the team overall. Really solid performance all over the pitch. Lewis Ferguson looks good but felt he struggled to impose himself last night. Wasn’t surprised when he came off.

When the draw was made I just wanted to be in the tie at turf moor and the dons have delivered. I reckon it probably has glorious failure written all over it but looking forward to it nonetheless.

RagingRob still bitter at pretty much everybody I see.

Don’t see what’s so ‘raging’ about it. I took an interest in this game as a pal of mine down south is a lifelong Clarets fan. I think they’ll nick the 2nd leg, that’s all.
If the Dons go through, fair play, it was a tough tie to get so early in the draw.

4 hours ago, RussellAnderson said:

Nine posts on a forum, but that made me feel really proud of my City. Well done lads.

:lol:

I was surprised anybody except Aberdeen fans liked the stadium. All you get from Scottish away fans is how shite it is. Of course, if they'd been there in Jan/Feb it could be a different story. 

Surprised to see criticism for May. Thought he did well when he come on, given that Burnley had most of the ball and he was up there himself.

Won a few free kicks and linked the play well at times, pretty much all that can be expected 

A few thoughts after last night - Pittodrie was at its finest, would love to redevelop there. Both sets of fans were outstanding. Without wishing to sound a brown noser, Burnley fans were brilliant, a credit to their club. To have that atmosphere with no sectarian bile, fantastic.

Aberdeen fans turned up in numbers and vocally. Too often it doesn't happen, that was superb last night. A thunderous atmosphere. On the park, the starting 11 were absolutely phenomenal. Worked their bollocks off and matched Burnley for long spells of the game.

Probably in the top 5 performances of the McInnes era. Devlin and Ferguson look naturals at this level. GMS, save his hat trick v Hibs, had his finest night here so far. McKenna looked his usual steady self. Ball and Shinnie top drawer, Cosgrove grafted well. Lewis, wondersave.

The difference in resources was clear from the bench with Vokes coming on for them, May coming on for us. It showed in the last 20 minutes. We clearly need a better striker than May for bigger games. Sad but true. Wright looked brighter. Gleeson, judgement out on him.

My only real moan was going 5 at the back which lost the midfield. We could have done with keeping the formation, if that meant taking Hoban off for Forrester and putting Shinnie back, so be it. Other than that and the obvious loss of the away goal, I'm content with last night.

Spoke to a couple of Burnley fans on the airport this morning when collecting my fiancee, they loved the whole trip, the warm welcome they received, the atmosphere, the ground and were pleasantly surprised by our team.

Archived