Celtic in Europe 2018-19, the long and winding road

senorsoupe

Delighted to be through obviously although it was a very strange atmosphere last night. Salzburg are a cracking team and will probably go far in the competition again.

In hindsight, the starting XI was wrong and Brown in for Rogic would have been a better option, he looked off the pace from the very start.

Not seen any replays of injuries to Lustig and Christie but hopefully neither are out long given we are away to Hibs, Aberdeen and them in the next 2 weeks.

The goal celebration that resulted in the coin throw was right in front of me. Everybody around was obviously angry and frustrated but no excuses for the idiot that has struck their player. Unfortunately European games bring out the idiots who can't control themselves. Hopefully they can be identified and banned.

I'm not an expert on all the teams we could be drawn against in the next round although having seen Villarreal play at Ibrox and given that they're 17th in La Liga, I'd fancy our chances against them.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still shaking my head at how we got through. Leipzig only have themselves to blame by not playing full the strength team in games. Competition is better off without those not taking it seriously. It was a nervy occasion that seemed to affect the atmosphere too. 

Salzburg are a class above us and it showed last night. Rogic was anonymous for the majority of the game but we had all our subs used in the first hour.

6 hours ago, OSP said:

Overall chuffed to get through, didn't expect to when the draw was originally made.

Highly suspect a pumping is on it way for us in the next round. Genk would be about the only mob we'd have a good shout beating. Those saying Frankfurt clearly don't know anything about them. They would shite all over us I'm afraid.

Oh, and looking back at the comments from when we went behind, to Rosenborg equalising...

Leverkusen would be very beatable. Frankfurt appear to be far better in europe than domestically. Genk would hammer Celtic from what I have seen this season. They look to have built a very good team this year. Will be decimated soon enough but unless that happens in January then they would be best avoided.

17 hours ago, gannonball said:

Still doesnt make sense how Leipzig didnt get through. I mean they had way more money, I always thought thats how it works right?

How do the annual revenues of Leipzig, Salzburg and Celtic compare? I'd have thought Celtic would be 2nd, but not huge amounts between the three.

8 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

14th in their league and won 3 league games so far, tough but not the worst we could’ve got.

Exactly. They'll still be favourites but we have an outside chance should their current form continue. 

Valencia have had an odd season to date. They've drawn 10/16 games in the league which is why they're so far down the table. But expected goals has them as the 3rd best side, so their performances haven't been far off last season when they finished 4th. They've had a fair few injuries in key areas, but look to be getting over that now. If they revert to type by the time this tie comes round, they should go through fairly comfortably given the disparity in the two leagues.

• 1 month later...

Archived