Confirmed Transfers - Winter '19

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

How many players do you guys have left?  9?

I wish! Signed up for next season we have Andy Dowie, Willie Dyer and Kyle Hutton. Craig Barr is also under contract, but has an option to leave. Hopefully he'll stick around though as he's a tremendous player.

We've offered contracts to Stuart Carswell, Calum Gallagher and Danny Handling. I'd expect Gallagher to still be with us next season, but I'm not sure about the other two - they certainly have options elsewhere. Iain Russell and Chris McLaughlin (of the remaining guys from last season) have been offered training facilities for pre-season. I'm pretty sure that McLaughlin will be away  unfortunately, whilst Beany will sign up if we offer him a deal I reckon.

Going to be a busy 29 days until our first friendly!

10 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

I wish! Signed up for next season we have Andy Dowie, Willie Dyer and Kyle Hutton. Craig Barr is also under contract, but has an option to leave. Hopefully he'll stick around though as he's a tremendous player.

We've offered contracts to Stuart Carswell, Calum Gallagher and Danny Handling. I'd expect Gallagher to still be with us next season, but I'm not sure about the other two - they certainly have options elsewhere. Iain Russell and Chris McLaughlin (of the remaining guys from last season) have been offered training facilities for pre-season. I'm pretty sure that McLaughlin will be away  unfortunately, whilst Beany will sign up if we offer him a deal I reckon.

Going to be a busy 29 days until our first friendly!

Ouch, was it just a question of players not wanting to stick around or did Dumbarton just go for the nuclear option after relegation and sack everyone?

Just now, senorsoupe said:

Ouch, was it just a question of players not wanting to stick around or did Dumbarton just go for the nuclear option after relegation and sack everyone?

The majority have been punted by the club, but I think a few chose not to accept terms that were quite a bit lower than last season. We had a pretty bloated squad, and quite a few loan players too - so I'm not that bothered to see most of them go to be brutally honest.

Mark Stewart presumably on decent money so wouldn't have reached a settlement on his contract unless he had a pretty fair idea he'd something lined up for this season. Wonder if that is championship or L1? My guess would be L1 unless he's headed for Alloa - Ayr have a wealth of strikers and would be surprised if he surfaces further up the food chain than that. We have Andy Jackson (if fit) and Kalvin Orsi who might yet blossom but needs to. We could do with more options up front. While I'm here, two good LB options at this level (Paddy Boyle and Meggatt) just slipped through the net. In Boyle's case, for a team a league down and 2 hours further up the road. Paddy will be driving past the Glebe every second week next season - hope Darren Dods has a rabbit in the hat now Dyer is away...

Just now, Infirmary Street said:

Mark Stewart presumably on decent money so wouldn't have reached a settlement on his contract unless he had a pretty fair idea he'd something lined up for this season. Wonder if that is championship or L1? My guess would be L1 unless he's headed for Alloa - Ayr have a wealth of strikers and would be surprised if he surfaces further up the food chain than that. We have Andy Jackson (if fit) and Kalvin Orsi who might yet blossom but needs to. We could do with more options up front. While I'm here, two good LB options at this level (Paddy Boyle and Meggatt) just slipped through the net. In Boyle's case, for a team a league down and 2 hours further up the road. Paddy will be driving past the Glebe every second week next season - hope Darren Dods has a rabbit in the hat now Dyer is away...

He's joined Stirling Albion. I'd imagine he'll score plenty if he stays fit...but that's a massive if.

2 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

He's joined Stirling Albion. I'd imagine he'll score plenty if he stays fit...but that's a massive if.

Interesting. Smith + Stewart at that level should make hay if, as you say, they stay fit. peter macdonald in reserve if he's still going? Anyway as they say - League 2 forum for this pish - point is Brechin need new blood fast and appear to be missing out on good quality, plausible targets to L2 teams be that Peterhead or the binos 

I wish! Signed up for next season we have Andy Dowie, Willie Dyer and Kyle Hutton. Craig Barr is also under contract, but has an option to leave. Hopefully he'll stick around though as he's a gorgeous man.

Fixed that for you

How many former Raith players are still available?
Bobby Barr joins Dumbarton on a year long deal:
https://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/news/?mode=view&id=3637

I’m loving the fact that our closest rivals for the season coming are weakening substantially!

I’m also loving the fact that the fans at Starks Park can also rekindle that close-knit relationship that we’ve had with Barr the last few seasons as well. :lol:

6 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

I’m loving the fact that our closest rivals for the season coming are weakening substantially!

I’m also loving the fact that the fans at Starks Park can also rekindle that close-knit relationship that we’ve had with Barr the last few seasons as well. :lol:

can hardly say this , when we have no midfield ourselves...

god knows what we will bring in - we will be lucky if we are challenging with the team at the minute

can hardly say this , when we have no midfield ourselves...
god knows what we will bring in - we will be lucky if we are challenging with the team at the minute

We won’t be challenging with the team at the minute. We only have like 10 players signed and 3 are youth players :lol:

It is only the start of June though. Plenty of time to get players in.

That being said, I’d rather play with 10 men than have that poisonous cretin anywhere near our team.

No offence to him intended or that.

4 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

We won’t be challenging with the team at the minute. We only have like 10 players signed and 3 are youth players :lol:

It is only the start of June though. Plenty of time to get players in.

That being said, I’d rather play with 10 men than have that poisonous cretin anywhere near our team.

No offence to him intended or that.

Bobby Barr is only our fifth player confirmed (Dowie, Mango, Hutton, Dyer being the others). So I think we'll have to wait until late July before knowing whether we've got stronger or weaker than last season. What I would say though is that I'm not too upset about any of the players who have gone so far. Froxy was a brilliant talent, but appeared to be made out of the Cypriot version of a Flake, Stewart was good when fit (three months last season) and Hill was solid, but I'm confident that we can replace them with someone equally (or ideally more) effective.

Bobby's Staunchness will fit in nicely. It one of the key things Durrant looks for in a player I think.

I’m also loving the fact that the fans at Starks Park can also rekindle that close-knit relationship that we’ve had with Barr the last few seasons as well. [emoji38]
Aye, going from no wingers signed to Bobby Barr is fair weakening us.

Just now, Rovers1992/1993 said:

A weaker player than players that you’ve released? Aye would say so.

Going from Chris Johnston to Bobby Barr is like going from Mini-Messi to actual Messi tbf.

A weaker player than players that you’ve released? Aye would say so.
I wouldn't say he's weaker than the wingers we released. Andy Stirling went back to his parent club and Tom Walsh signed a pre contract with Inverness, there's not much we can do about that. I'm not convinced Barr is a worse option than Walsh tbqhwy.

Either way, given we are now operating on a League 1 budget as opposed to a Championship one so I wouldn't expect us to afford better than what we had in a higher division.

He scored 7 goals in 39 appearances for Raith last season. If he can provide that sort of return from out wide for us then I'll be happy.

8 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

:lol: I’ll give you that tbf. Forgot you had Chris Johnston last season.

Barr doesn't look so bad now, eh ;)

We had quite a few good players on paper last season, but for one reason or another it didn't work for most of them. What we really didn't have until January was a natural winger, and when you've spent a season watching guys like David Smith, Chris Johnston, Ally Roy, a 35 year old Iain Russell and Kevin Nisbet playing outwide then you start to appreciate having a guy who actually plays there!

Archived